getting more accurate coordinates

cofans

I hid my first cache using my magellan roadmate coordinates. I walked back and forth from different directions as suggested to get the coordinates. Now, when I use my gc app to find it, it says im 29 ft away when I am standing right at it. Any suggestions on how to tweak the coordinates? Are there any good apps that would give me more accurate coordinates?

Part of the problem that you are experiencing is that you are using two different devices.

Yes they will be close, but you should never expect two devices to always provide the same readings.

You should check to make sure that your Magellan is set for non-highway use, if you expect to obtain decent coordinates from it. If you cannot do such with that unit, you should not use it to determine cache placement coordinates. Personally, I would never use a device designed and dedicated for driving purposes to hide a cache.

'Tis true there have been (some) improvements in those types of units, notably Garmin but I'm just not so sure about Magellan. I mean, it is named Roadmate for a reason.

Perhaps you could borrow a friend's dedicated hand-held?

There are apps designed specifically for what you want. I don't know them. Somebody will chime in to tell you, I'm sure.

While I would recommend investing in a good handheld GPSr before hiding caches, you can get coordinates as you have done and check them by plotting in Google Earth. Even Google Earth can be off a bit in different parts of the country, but it should get coordinates close enough for people to hunt. In your case, if your cache is behind the guardrail on the north side of the road at the base of the third tree, you have excellent coordinates. :D

Puzzler of ...

The Waysiders

Edited by The Waysiders

While I would recommend investing in a good handheld GPSr before hiding caches, you can get coordinates as you have done and check them by plotting in Google Earth. Even Google Earth can be off a bit in different parts of the country, but it should get coordinates close enough for people to hunt.

Google Earth can be okay to check that you haven't made some colossal mistake in your coordinates, but it shouldn't be used any further than that. Keep in mind that "You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device." according to the guidelines. If Google Earth says your coordinates are a bit off, go back out there and check in person, don't tweak the coordinates based on Google Earth. Odds are you're actually making them worse by tweaking through Google Earth. Within my home area of about 25 km radius, the Google imagery is out by as much as 50+ feet in several different directions.

I'm not saying anyone here in this discussion is actually doing this, it's just something everyone should keep in mind. Geocaching is about GPS use, not satellite image use.

Geocaching is about GPS use, not satellite image use.

Once in a while a satellite image is enough to FIND a cache. I looked at one image and the spot was near a lamppost in a parking lot with no other landmarks nearby. I found that one without even turning on the gpsr.

While I would recommend investing in a good handheld GPSr before hiding caches, you can get coordinates as you have done and check them by plotting in Google Earth. Even Google Earth can be off a bit in different parts of the country, but it should get coordinates close enough for people to hunt. In your case, if your cache is behind the guardrail on the north side of the road at the base of the third tree, you have excellent coordinates. :D

Puzzler of ...

The Waysiders

He ain't talking! ;)

Hey, is it that fake pine cone in that oak tree?! :lol:

Edited by wmpastor

As far as apps go...

for Android I've found GPS Averaging to be pretty helpful. Usually I average about 50 to 100 readings. Walk away about 50 to 100 feet, come back and run the averaging another 50 to 100 times. If my results are significantly different, I'll do it a third time...and so on...

I assume you can change the display format from the one shown in the ad. I don't want to do decimal conversions - that could eliminate the accuracy. :D

Geocaching is about GPS use, not satellite image use.

Once in a while a satellite image is enough to FIND a cache. I looked at one image and the spot was near a lamppost in a parking lot with no other landmarks nearby. I found that one without even turning on the gpsr.

What you say certainly is true, but you are talking apples and the OP is speaking oranges.

The OP is trying to obtain coordinates to hide a cache, not find one. Nobody (even the guidelines) say that you must use a GPS device to find a cache. But the listing requirements/guidelines are pretty explicit in stating:

You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device. [more...]

The words "satellite image" or "map(s)" do not appear anywhere in those listing requirements/guidelines.