Belgium souvenir

WingNut_BN

This is not a bug report, so I am moving your thread to the Feature Suggestions forum. Groundspeak has announced previously that there are no plans to develop and release additional country-based souvenirs. You may also wish to post to the long-running thread in this forum section, asking that this policy be revisited.

This is not a bug report, so I am moving your thread to the Feature Suggestions forum. Groundspeak has announced previously that there are no plans to develop and release additional country-based souvenirs. You may also wish to post to the long-running thread in this forum section, asking that this policy be revisited.

This announcement I've missed, did they really state that they are not going to release additional country souvenirs, or just not real soon (maybe just once a year a new batch)? It would be really strange if they would just stop making country souvenirs.

Germany has 16 souvenirs, Ireland has 5, yet the UK, consisting of 4 separate countries (perhaps equivalent to the USA states) only has one!!! And that is only suitable for London caches.

And to make matters worse, some cachers have to pay an extra 25% for their premium memberships!

This announcement I've missed, did they really state that they are not going to release additional country souvenirs, or just not real soon (maybe just once a year a new batch)? It would be really strange if they would just stop making country souvenirs.

They did not write that they definitely will not release further country based souvenirs.

As Keystone wrote they wrote something like that they have no plans to release further such souvenirs. I have no time to look up the link.

If I were you, I would not attribute a high probability to the event that they will release further country based souvenirs soon.

Cezanne

Here's the blog post where they stated it. Here's the relevant text:

Geocaching will release five souvenirs shortly after the 2 Millionth Active Geocaches is reached. We’ll release five Geocaching Souvenirs each work day until all previously unreleased souvenirs are available to geocachers. After all the souvenirs are released no more state or regional souvenirs are planned.

The "previously unreleased souvenirs" mentioned were ones where they made the artwork a while back and posted the artwork on Flickr. The original intention was for people to use the artwork themselves in their Public Profiles, but then they decided to make them official after a delay of about a year and a half. There were 32 souvenirs released in conjunction with the 2,000,000th cache being hidden.

Here's the blog post where they stated it. Here's the relevant text:

Geocaching will release five souvenirs shortly after the 2 Millionth Active Geocaches is reached. We'll release five Geocaching Souvenirs each work day until all previously unreleased souvenirs are available to geocachers. After all the souvenirs are released no more state or regional souvenirs are planned.

The "previously unreleased souvenirs" mentioned were ones where they made the artwork a while back and posted the artwork on Flickr. The original intention was for people to use the artwork themselves in their Public Profiles, but then they decided to make them official after a delay of about a year and a half. There were 32 souvenirs released in conjunction with the 2,000,000th cache being hidden.

The blog post does appear to be a pretty final decision. That was the reason I started the "Continue releasing country based souvenirs" thread. I thought it was worth starting a discussion which provided a places for users to express their opinion on that decision. So far the response has be nearly unanimous (with the exceptions being meta discussions about souvenirs in general) in support of the suggestion. It doesn't happen very often but sometimes public outcry can influence their decisions. For example, when challenge caches were initially introduced completing a challenge counted toward our total find count. After strong objections from geocachers that was quickly changed.

As indicated, there are 25 or so countries which have a single souvenir for the country, and several other countries which have regional souvenirs (for example, there isn't a souvenir for Canada but there is for each province in Canada). For the most part these souvenirs correspond to countries which have the greatest number of caches and there are a bunch of countries which have a substantial number of caches but didn't make the cut, including Belgium, Italy, and Mexico. Italy and Mexico would make the most sense as additions for a a souvenir because not only do they have a substantial number of caches they're also popular tourist destinations.

The "previously released souvenirs" with the Flickr artwork also included artwork for Ethiopia but it was not included in the batch of souvenirs released in conjunction with the 2 millonth cache. I suspect that was mostly to avoid "If Ethiopian can have a souvenir why isn't there one for <random country>" complaints. Most geocachers probably don't care the Ethiopia was included, but as it turns out I actually found a cache in Ethiopia about a month ago and it would make a nice addition to my profile.

This link will take you to Flickr for Geocaching.com and has displayed all the country based icons that were desisigned- there is also an England one of the White Cliffs of Dover and many others that were not released when GS said they planned to release all the previously designed artwork.

The site did day that you are encouraged to copy the link to add the souvenir to your profile page - so with some help from friends with HTML codes etc, I have been able to download all those I qualify for onto my profile page :)

Do feel free to have a look at the lay out :)

Country Based Souvenirs

Edited by Cache on Wheels

This link will take you to Flickr for Geocaching.com and has displayed all the country based icons that were desisigned- there is also an England one of the White Cliffs of Dover and many others that were not released when GS said they planned to release all the previously designed artwork.

I kept track of what was and wasn't released in the 2,000,000th-cache releases, and there's only 4 that haven't been released: England, Scotland, Wales, and Ethiopia. Every other souvenir in that Flickr gallery is currently available.

I kept track of what was and wasn't released in the 2,000,000th-cache releases, and there's only 4 that haven't been released:and, Scotland, Wales, and Ethiopia. Every other souvenir in that Flickr gallery is currently available.

All of the region based souvenirs are for a Country, State, or Province has either a country_id, or state_id. I know that it's somewhat controversial but England, Scotland, and Wales are not listed as specific countries in the official GS country list, and thus don't have a country_id or state_id. Instead, one can get a souvenir for the United Kingdom. Ethiopia, however, *does* have a country_id (67).

If I recall, there where a few souvenirs that were released in the 2,000,000th cache release that were *not* on the Flickr page. I don't believe the one for South Korea was there nor were any of the Ireland souvenirs.