Garmin GPSMap 60CS

after downloading LOC file and transferring to my GPS using EasyGPS, I am unable to see the cache descriptions. All I am able to see is the basic info page showing name and coordinates. I have read the manual but not very helpful. Not sure if I have the unit set up properly.

after downloading LOC file and transferring to my GPS using EasyGPS, I am unable to see the cache descriptions. All I am able to see is the basic info page showing name and coordinates. I have read the manual but not very helpful. Not sure if I have the unit set up properly.

There are no descriptions or hints in a loc file.

As a Premium Member, you are able to download the GPX file of a cache.

That being said, I don't think that the 60CS is capable of displaying extra information contained in a gpx file.

Help Center → Geocaching → Finding Geocaches

2.5. Download Cache Information

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=236

Basic Members can download cache information in the form of LOC files. This file type contains only general information: the cache listing title, GC Code, and coordinates.

Premium Members can download cache information in the form of GPX files. This file type contains much of the listing information: the cache title, description, public additional waypoints (such as parking coordinates), hints, and the most recent logs.

B.

That being said, I don't think that the 60CS is capable of displaying extra information contained in a gpx file.

Basic Members can download cache information in the form of LOC files. This file type contains only general information: the cache listing title, GC Code, and coordinates.

Premium Members can download cache information in the form of GPX files. This file type contains much of the listing information: the cache title, description, public additional waypoints (such as parking coordinates), hints, and the most recent logs.

B.

Has that changed recently? I used to be able to download individual GPX files (without the description) when I was a basic member.

B.

Has that changed recently? I used to be able to download individual GPX files (without the description) when I was a basic member.

Nope. It's been that way since I started playing back in January, 2004.

To get the descriptions and other info, you need to get the GPX files and someething to put the data on. I have a 60csx and for the cache info I use my smartphone with GDAK when I am in my home area and the geocaching android app when I am outside my home area and want to do some spur-of-the-moment caching. Once in a while I still find the wap site useful (wap.geocaching.com).

To go along with that, I have a 60cs and a 76cx. I can't get either one of them to find the caches after I load a .gpx file. It has been a while since I've used either one of them, so I guess I just don't remember something I need to do. Can I load .gpx files to these two GPS units and use them to find caches? Both of them right now say "none found". When I take the SD card out of them the computer does not even recognize either GPS. I have Garmin communicator plug in (current) and downloaded the latest Garmin drivers file. On the 76cx it has a folder "garmin" and within that folder is a folder "GPX", which is where I put the .gpx from a PQ. Still the 76cx says "none found" when I push the "find" and "geocaches" buttons. ??????? My Garmin 450 was stolen last week so I'm trying to use one of these until I can get a new one. Help! Thanks.

I know GSAK can work some magic to get a little extra info squeezed onto this GPS unit. But I don't know how to use GSAK. Using ExpertGPS I can load (in the 14 character field) GC CODE, CACHE TYPE (puzzle, traditional, event, multi, whatever), DIFFICULTY, and TERRAIN. In the 30 character field I can load the first 30 characters of the cache name. I also have a range of options to load an icon to different cache types. No description of course, no logs, only a trace of a hint for caches with short names. But this is obviously more than a .loc file gives you.

With CacheMate I can load Description, Hint, 5 Logs, a few other minor things to a Palm PDA. NO ATTRIBUTES THOUGH. But with cheap paperless GPS units available now, does anybody still do this? I have moved on to an Oregon now, and am not planning to look back any time soon.

And after you have bought ExpertGPS and CacheMate, you could have pretty much had an eTrex 10 as a backup to hold all that info. And don't forget the cost to maintain a Premium Membership. You have options, but a GOOD new GPS is one of the best possible options.

To go along with that, I have a 60cs and a 76cx. I can't get either one of them to find the caches after I load a .gpx file. It has been a while since I've used either one of them, so I guess I just don't remember something I need to do. Can I load .gpx files to these two GPS units and use them to find caches? Both of them right now say "none found". When I take the SD card out of them the computer does not even recognize either GPS. I have Garmin communicator plug in (current) and downloaded the latest Garmin drivers file. On the 76cx it has a folder "garmin" and within that folder is a folder "GPX", which is where I put the .gpx from a PQ. Still the 76cx says "none found" when I push the "find" and "geocaches" buttons. ??????? My Garmin 450 was stolen last week so I'm trying to use one of these until I can get a new one. Help! Thanks.

By default, these devices store the caches in the internal memory, not on the SD card. However, if I recall properly (I don't use my 60csx this way often since I use GSAK), when you connect you GPS to your PC, the PC only recognized the SD card loaded into your GPS, NOT the internal memory. So when you remove the SD card, you have removed what the PC is looking for.

To load the caches on these guys, as far as I know since this is the only way I have done it, you need to load them via MapSource, Base Camp, or some other program such as GSAK or EasyGPS.

I know GSAK can work some magic to get a little extra info squeezed onto this GPS unit. But I don't know how to use GSAK. Using ExpertGPS I can load (in the 14 character field) GC CODE, CACHE TYPE (puzzle, traditional, event, multi, whatever), DIFFICULTY, and TERRAIN. In the 30 character field I can load the first 30 characters of the cache name. I also have a range of options to load an icon to different cache types. No description of course, no logs, only a trace of a hint for caches with short names. But this is obviously more than a .loc file gives you.

With CacheMate I can load Description, Hint, 5 Logs, a few other minor things to a Palm PDA. NO ATTRIBUTES THOUGH. But with cheap paperless GPS units available now, does anybody still do this? I have moved on to an Oregon now, and am not planning to look back any time soon.

And after you have bought ExpertGPS and CacheMate, you could have pretty much had an eTrex 10 as a backup to hold all that info. And don't forget the cost to maintain a Premium Membership. You have options, but a GOOD new GPS is one of the best possible options.

You can also get all the info on these older devices using Custom POI's, but then the caches show as custom POIs and not caches. Also, all the info is stored as waypoints. Since each waypoint can only contain so much info, each cache could take MANY waypoints in order to contain the hint, descriptions, and a few logs. I tried it once and hated it. I know others used to do it all the time and loved it.

I used to use Cachemate on my old Palm and then on my first couple of android smartphones, but then it never got updated to work with my latest smartphone so I jumped ship to GDAK which works extremely well and simply with GSAK and will show you all the info you have in GSAK. So GDAK on my smartphone handles all my paperless needs and my phone stays tucked safely away while I am searching and using my 60csx for the hunt.

For some folks, a shiny new gizmo is the way to go, but "cheap" is relative and there are other options that can save more than a few bucks and can get the job done just as well, especially if you laready have some hardware. My trusty old 60 is working fine and I have to have my phone anyway, so a small investment in GSAK and the free version of GDAK, and I'm all set.

I guess all I am saying is to think about your situation, what you have available to you, and find the best set of tools for your needs and budget.

Thank you Sir, I was thinking I always used EasyGPS but I wasn't for sure. I'll try that or basecamp. I never did like basecamp very much but I may have to learn to use it.

EasyGPs (the free version) is extremely limited compared to ExpertGPS (about $70). The author made a few program fixes to the Geocaching code that I brought to his attention. The difference in cache loading capability really is quite dramatic. But I no longer use it for my Oregon 450t (it actually adds unwanted crap to the Oregon). It is only good for loading info to the older non-paperless units, but it has quite a few other valuable uses as well.

Yes Sir, you are right. I downloaded EasyGPS just to see if I could load caches to my 76cx, and it worked fine. I now have something to use until the Police find my 450T or I buy another GPS. This old 76cx is in my opinion still one of the best they ever made, if it would do "paperless" I would still be using it.

My second gps was a 60CSx and a great locator is was and still is. I really haven't had problems down loading off either the cache page or PQ, but one thing I gurantee it that you need to go to garmin and get the latest version upgrade for that unit, it could be something as simple as that. Other than that the only other suggestion would be to go and invest a few bucks and use the GSAK program. When I was caching with my 60 I invested ing GSAK and had a PDA for my cache notes and between the two I was set.

My second gps was a 60CSx and a great locator is was and still is. I really haven't had problems down loading off either the cache page or PQ, but one thing I gurantee it that you need to go to garmin and get the latest version upgrade for that unit, it could be something as simple as that. Other than that the only other suggestion would be to go and invest a few bucks and use the GSAK program. When I was caching with my 60 I invested ing GSAK and had a PDA for my cache notes and between the two I was set.

you need to go to garmin and get the latest version upgrade for that unit

I don't recommend upgrading your firmware unless you've identified a definite need to. Things can go wrong; see the current thread about somebody's bricked eTrex for example.

That's just my opinion of course, based on the quality I've seen in Garmin's software over the years. And on my experience with the 60/76 family, which are stable and not sold with experimental software like some newer units.

You can also get all the info on these older devices using Custom POI's, but then the caches show as custom POIs and not caches. Also, all the info is stored as waypoints. Since each waypoint can only contain so much info, each cache could take MANY waypoints in order to contain the hint, descriptions, and a few logs. I tried it once and hated it. I know others used to do it all the time and loved it.

I used to use Cachemate on my old Palm and then on my first couple of android smartphones, but then it never got updated to work with my latest smartphone so I jumped ship to GDAK which works extremely well and simply with GSAK and will show you all the info you have in GSAK. So GDAK on my smartphone handles all my paperless needs and my phone stays tucked safely away while I am searching and using my 60csx for the hunt.

For some folks, a shiny new gizmo is the way to go, but "cheap" is relative and there are other options that can save more than a few bucks and can get the job done just as well, especially if you laready have some hardware. My trusty old 60 is working fine and I have to have my phone anyway, so a small investment in GSAK and the free version of GDAK, and I'm all set.

I guess all I am saying is to think about your situation, what you have available to you, and find the best set of tools for your needs and budget.

I have a Palm Z22 that is now up and Hotsync's properly now. My question now is how to load the files onto the Palm? What program do I need on the Palm to view the file?

I have a Palm Z22 that is now up and Hotsync's properly now. My question now is how to load the files onto the Palm? What program do I need on the Palm to view the file?

When I used a Palm I used Cachemate. It is not free and has not been updated in ages, but it got the job done. There are other things that worked, but I found them all far more cumbersome to use. I don't even recall their names now and I sure don't know if they are even available now.