Please make the Souvenirs page editable per souvenir

irisisleuk

I guess this forum wasn't the best place to suggest a new feature to Groundspeak.

To me this thread has become totally uninteresting to read/follow now, I had hoped for something different.

But I do understand now why the people working at Groundspeak don't bother to read it anymore.

Isn't that the truth. You come up with an idea that pretty much solves everyone's issue with the new souvenirs, and all you get is countless posts about why it's a bad idea, most from the folks that don't give a rat's butt about souvenirs in the first place.

I think that it's a good idea. They put it on my page, I don't like it, I hit a "hide" button, it's gone.

For what it's worth I found a film pot in a tree today and earned a souvenir for it. Awesome stuff.

Sadly finding a film pot in a tree is probably good practise for the 31 days of geocaching they're talking about in August. To make it better practise I should have looked for a wet film pot but them's the breaks I guess.

LOL, I'll be working for most of the day but I'll probably leave a few minutes early to grab the new parking lot LPC that suddenly became my closest unfound cache. Heck of a way to celebrate "the great outdoors".

For what it's worth I found a film pot in a tree today and earned a souvenir for it. Awesome stuff.

Sadly finding a film pot in a tree is probably good practise for the 31 days of geocaching they're talking about in August. To make it better practise I should have looked for a wet film pot but them's the breaks I guess.

LOL, I'll be working for most of the day but I'll probably leave a few minutes early to grab the new parking lot LPC that suddenly became my closest unfound cache. Heck of a way to celebrate "the great outdoors".

The funny thing for me was that it wasn't even a caching trip, I was cycling across town to pick up some stuff and noticed I was going literally right past a cache. So on the way back I stopped and grabbed it. Had I not gone that way I'd have missed out on the film pot, and on the souvenir.

I'm sure there are lots more film pots just waiting to be found. I looked at my local caching map this afternoon and realised there are several others I've cycled right past (i.e. within about 50 feet) without even slowing. Probably because they're on sections of road that I know well enough that the only part of the GPS I look at is my speed.

I guess this forum wasn't the best place to suggest a new feature to Groundspeak.

To me this thread has become totally uninteresting to read/follow now, I had hoped for something different.

But I do understand now why the people working at Groundspeak don't bother to read it anymore.

Isn't that the truth. You come up with an idea that pretty much solves everyone's issue with the new souvenirs, and all you get is countless posts about why it's a bad idea, most from the folks that don't give a rat's butt about souvenirs in the first place.

I think that it's a good idea. They put it on my page, I don't like it, I hit a "hide" button, it's gone.

There's a lot of things on Geoaching.com that people don't like, and lot of suggestions in this forum to be able to hide things that people don't like. Ignore all caches by an owner, ignore power trails, ignore puzzles, hide find counts, hide disabled caches on maps, ... The list goes on and on.

If Groundspeak were to add the capability to ignore or hide every thing that someone has asked to ignore or hide, the developers would be busy for years and have no time left to fix problems or add other enhancements.

I general, I think giving users the ability to control what they see on Geocaching.com is not a bad idea. But I don't see it is such an important issue that TPTB ought to immediately respond and add the capabilities whenever someone asks for it.

Frankly, as far as these things go, the 31 days of August souvenirs seem pretty low on most people's list of what needs to be hidden or ignored.

Yesterday, we went for a bike ride with our normal bikes, where in parts heavy duty terrain tires and suspension would have been quite useful :P Didn't know Denmark could be so mountainous :blink: That souvenir was certainly well earned :lol:

But yes, I would love to only display souvenirs that I like, or at least sort then to my liking: country/regional ones on top, the rest below for example. This might be easier to do than a disply/don't display option.

And they granted my request!

Now you can decide per souvenir whether you want it to be shown on your souvenirs page, thank you!

Only with the International geocaching day souvenirs it doesn't seem possible to hide them. For me that's fine, but is this an error, or was it a technical problem since the names of these souvenirs take 3 lines so "hide it" doesn't fit underneath?

Now you can decide per souvenir whether you want it to be shown on your souvenirs page, thank you!

Only with the International geocaching day souvenirs it doesn't seem possible to hide them. For me that's fine, but is this an error, or was it a technical problem since the names of these souvenirs take 3 lines so "hide it" doesn't fit underneath?

So I can click on "Hide This" under each souvenir and it just changes the "Hide This" control to "Show This" and fades the image. I'm guessing now others won't see that I had 3 31 days souvenirs. I don't what others see on my souvenir page. How do I hide souvenirs so that *I* don't see them on my page?

So I can click on "Hide This" under each souvenir and it just changes the "Hide This" control to "Show This" and fades the image. I'm guessing now others won't see that I had 3 31 days souvenirs. I don't what others see on my souvenir page. How do I hide souvenirs so that *I* don't see them on my page?

Go to your public profile and they should be hidden there.

Who is "they" ?

I don't see a hide it function on my souvenir page.

Is this from a greasemonkey script?

Who is "they" ?

I don't see a hide it function on my souvenir page.

Is this from a greasemonkey script?

They is Groundspeak, so no greasemonkey script. I guess you are looking at your public profile for your souvenirs page, that is the page everyone can see. But the page where you can hide them so they won't show up on your public profile is under Your Profile. If you choose Quick view there you can find on top different links, one of these is to the souvenirs page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx

Edited by irisisleuk

I just stumbled upon this change. Many if us have been asking for a way to hide souvenirs since they were first introduced and I had all but consigned it to the same category as "bring back virtuals." Although an option to hide all would have saved 75 clicks, there was a certain satisfaction to it. All of mine are hidden, including the International Day.

I almost kept one or two -- since there are some actual souvenirs I display in more public areas, such as my office -- but decided to be consistent. I can always change my mind. Perhaps I will renew my membership after all! Well done.

Edited by geodarts

So I can click on "Hide This" under each souvenir and it just changes the "Hide This" control to "Show This" and fades the image.

Yes, pretty slick, although a kinda goofy interface: there's a checkbox with an X in it labeled "hide this" which would normally mean that it is hidden, but it means -- I guess -- "click on this X to hide this". When clicked, the label toggles to a "show this", still with the Xed checkbox and equally confusing. Whoever implemented it couldn't decide between a checkbox and a toggle button and ended up combining them in a way that makes no sense. I think it's pretty amusing.

By the way, I think people having trouble finding this feature are looking in their public souvenir list. The checkbox is under each souvenir in the souvenir list linked to from your private profile page.

So I can click on "Hide This" under each souvenir and it just changes the "Hide This" control to "Show This" and fades the image.

Yes, pretty slick, although a kinda goofy interface: there's a checkbox with an X in it labeled "hide this" which would normally mean that it is hidden, but it means -- I guess -- "click on this X to hide this". When clicked, the label toggles to a "show this", still with the Xed checkbox and equally confusing. Whoever implemented it couldn't decide between a checkbox and a toggle button and ended up combining them in a way that makes no sense. I think it's pretty amusing.

By the way, I think people having trouble finding this feature are looking in their public souvenir list. The checkbox is under each souvenir in the souvenir list linked to from your private profile page.

When I look at my Souvenirs page I get to it using using the "Souvenirs" link on "Your Profile" page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/). I see now that they're hidden on the public profile page. I guess I assumed that the souvenir editing function would be managed off of the account settings page (similar to how Statistics are managed).

For some strange reason the Hide this did not confuse me, I assumed that if I clicked the X the souvenir would be hidden on my public profile, and strange enough it was! Seeing the link Moun10bike gave was to the private profile I was not confused. I suppose the account page does make sense but then your dealing with a checkbox list and probably names you have to correlate to the souvenir. I like the visual display and check box on the private profile.

For some strange reason the Hide this did not confuse me, I assumed that if I clicked the X the souvenir would be hidden on my public profile, and strange enough it was!

No, it didn't confuse me, either. That's because we both knew they weren't already hidden, so we were expecting to find something to hide them. In general, though, it looks exactly like it's presenting a state, "Hide", which can be on or off and is currently Hide=On because of the X. Not a complaint, though, just an observation.