Moving MicroSD card from 60CSX to Montana 650

I have a dead 60CSx. The power button completely disintegrated. I took it apart and found the 2GB MicroSD card.

Can I take it out and insert it into the Montana 650t without causing any damage. I have lots of waypoints saved that I don't want to loose.

Edited by dictum9

I installed. 650T booted up just fine but it does not recognize any of the waypoints I had saved on the 60CSx. It's as if the MicroSD card was not even there. Weird.

I think it's because the format of waypoints was different in 60CSx than Montana.

I have a dead 60CSx. The power button completely disintegrated. I took it apart and found the 2GB MicroSD card.

Can I take it out and insert it into the Montana 650t without causing any damage. I have lots of waypoints saved that I don't want to loose.

Assuming there is not a problem with the card, borrow any 60 or 76 unit with a card slot to read the card. There are a lot of them out there. Download the waypoints to probably GSAK, certainly EasyGPS. Then you should be able to transfer them to the Montana.

Assuming there is not a problem with the card, borrow any 60 or 76 unit with a card slot to read the card. There are a lot of them out there. Download the waypoints to probably GSAK, certainly EasyGPS. Then you should be able to transfer them to the Montana.

I don't have either device so not sure if this is relevant. It sounds like the card on the 60 was internal. Check to be sure the waypoints are in the same file structure that the 650 is expecting. It might be a simple matter of creating or renaming a directory. As above, all this only after a backup has been made.

Let us know what you find.

I installed. 650T booted up just fine but it does not recognize any of the waypoints I had saved on the 60CSx. It's as if the MicroSD card was not even there. Weird.

I think it's because the format of waypoints was different in 60CSx than Montana.

The GPSMAP 60 CSx does not save or use Waypoint from the microSD datacard, they are stored in the unit's internal memory. You need to connect it to a computer and transfer the waypoints to your computer, the MapSource CD that came with it contains software for this.

Right, the 60CSx card was internal and non-removable, you have to take apart the unit to access it.

I actually have all the 60CSx waypoints backed up to the computer, via the software that came with Garmin 100K topo.

I tried to download them to Montana without any success, it does not like the format.

Edited by dictum9

Right, the 60CSx card was internal and non-removable, you have to take apart the unit to access it.

I actually have all the 60CSx waypoints backed up to the computer, via the software that came with Garmin 100K topo.

I tried to download them to Montana without any success, it does not like the format.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, it seems there may be a bit of confusion on terminology. The MicroSD card is not the internal memory of the device. It is considered external memory although you do have to remove the batteries to get to it. By default, waypoints write to the internal memory of the device. You can put waypoints on the MicroSD, but you have to make it happen. I tried it once but didn't like it.

If you do indeed have the waypoints on your MicroSD, then you may be able to get at them by simple putting the MicroSD in an SD carrier and reading the card with your computer, depending on how they were written to the card. Otherwise you may well need to borrow someone else's gizmo, put your card in it, connect it to your computer, and dump the waypoints off using Base Camp or MapSource, whichever you have.

If the waypoints are on the internal memory, you are out of luck if you can't turn the device on. You may be able to jimmy the power button or do something like remove the remanats of the power button and use a paperclip or something to reach in and activate the power switch. If you can get the thing on and hook it to your PC, you can get the waypoints off, again using Base Camp or MapSource.

If you have the preloaded Garmin maps MicroSD it will transfer to another device with no unlocking required, but you should never put anything else on the preloaded map card. It has been done, but it is not recommended or supported by Garmin as it is very easy to corrupt the maps and lose them.

I may have misspoken on a couple of things in here since it's been a while since I've had to do any of that, but that's the basic gist of it. You could also try contacting Garmin for advice.

Good luck.

> If the waypoints are on the internal memory, you are out of luck if you can't turn the device on.

I got a work-around... I managed to download all the waypoints from the Mapsource software. Which is weird, because I remember I tried that a year ago and could not get it to work. It said something about format not being compatible. Since then I broke the screen on 2012-vintage 650t and Garmin sent me newer one, presumably with newer settings. I connected it, Mapsource saw the device and saved all the waypoints right away without any complaints.