How do you pronounce....

4xCharmed

"Gecoaching"?

Kind of a dumb question... but I'm having an argument (we're noobs, obviously)

Geo - cashing? (sounds right to me)

or Geo - cash-ay-ing?

What are you looking for?

Do you hunt for a cache, as in: a "cash" or are you hunting for a cache, as in: a "cash-ay"

I've heard it pronounced both ways... "cash" as in a hidden tupperware container with a pen and log or cash-ay as in a buried box with ammo or food.

"Gecoaching"?

or Geo - cash-ay-ing?

Do you hunt for a cache, as in: a "cash" or are you hunting for a cache, as in: a "cash-ay"

I've heard it pronounced both ways... "cash" as in a hidden tupperware container with a pen and log or cash-ay as in a buried box with ammo or food.

Not that dumb as I've heard it come up before...but both the tupperware container and the box of ammo food are both pronounced "cash":

cache

/kaSH/

Noun

A collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.

Verb

Store away in hiding or for future use.

Synonyms

noun. hiding place - stash

verb. hide - conceal - secrete

"Gecoaching"?

or Geo - cash-ay-ing?

Well, since you are neither aloud to bury a cache, or put ammunition, or food in one I'll go with cache pronounced like cash. I'll have to say I have never heard of it pronounced cash-ay, even when referring to a stash of supplies.

I've never heard "kaysh", it's always been "cash" execept for once or twice I've heard someone say "cash-ay" which is a whole different word spelled "cachet". From Webster...

ca·chet

noun \ka-ˈshā\

Definition of CACHET

1 a: a seal used especially as a mark of official approval

b: an indication of approval carrying great prestige

2 a: a characteristic feature or quality conferring prestige

b: prestige <being rich … doesn't have the cachet it used to — Truman Capote>

3 a: a medicinal preparation for swallowing consisting of a case usually of rice-flour paste enclosing a medicine

4 a: a design or inscription on an envelope to commemorate a postal or philatelic event

b: an advertisement forming part of a postage meter impression

c: a motto or slogan included in a postal cancellation

Examples of CACHET

A movie director with great artistic cachet.

His research in Antarctica gave him a certain cachet among other scientists.

Origin of CACHET

French, from cacher

First Known Use: circa 1639

Rhymes with CACHET

abbé, affray, agley, airplay, airway, aisleway, all-day, allay, allée, Angers, Anhui, archway, array, ashtray, assay, astray, Augier, away...

...or are you hunting for a cache, as in: a "cash-ay"

Someone was goofing with you when they told you "cache" is pronounced "cash-ay".

...or they truly didn't know any better. :blink:

Take into account the number of times you have read geocatches, geocashes, gocatches and the like.

I think pronouncing cache as cachet has a whole different cachet, only used by people with a lot of cash. :)

Take into account the number of times you have read geocatches, geocashes, gocatches and the like.

You mean like in this very discussion?

"Gecoaching"?

To answer the original question as typed, I think it would be pronounced like "gecko-ching". :laughing:

To answer the original question as intended, it's pronounced like "cash". Any other pronunciation of this word in English is either a result of a local dialect/accent or simply an incorrect pronunciation by someone unaware of the correct pronunciation.

...or are you hunting for a cache, as in: a "cash-ay"

Someone was goofing with you when they told you "cache" is pronounced "cash-ay".

...or they truly didn't know any better. :blink:

I think pronouncing cache as cachet has a whole different cachet, only used by people with a lot of cash. :)

You nailed it - you've got the meanings down pat.

Down in Australia they pronounce it "Kaysh" and they are "geokayshers" :)

..snip..

I think you'll find any of the British English speaking countries will pronounce cache as "kaysh" (we're trying to sound French).

But from my experience in NZ, when in comes to geocache, mileage will vary.