Lac megantic caches

I decided to check the map of Lac Megantic, Quebec and see if there were any caches in the damaged region. To my surprise, I found several. As per https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lac_megantic_affected_area.png, the cache À l'intersection is right next to the center of the explosions. The affected caches, no more than 5, should be disabled until they can be checked.

Edited by AutisticMajor

Considering the situation there, I hardly think damaged or destroyed geocaches are of even the tiniest concern. <_<

I'm considering someone who in on the road, doesn't check the news and pulls into Lac Megantic to go caching. They'll complicate the situation and maybe get arrested. I'd really rather not see the headline "Suspicious person arrested in Lac Megantic : Claims s/he was 'geocaching' ". Disabling the cache at GZ would be a wise move.

This comes up every time there is a significant natural disaster. The cache owners will deal with their caches when they have the time. Any cacher who is 'on the road' in that remote area would figure out pretty quickly if they are somewhere that might be off limits for caching. And if they are already on the road, they just might be traveling with older PQ data, so they wouldn't notice the disabled status anyway. Your intention might be honorable, but your logic is flawed.

Considering the situation there, I hardly think damaged or destroyed geocaches are of even the tiniest concern. <_<

I'm considering someone who in on the road, doesn't check the news and pulls into Lac Megantic to go caching. They'll complicate the situation and maybe get arrested. I'd really rather not see the headline "Suspicious person arrested in Lac Megantic : Claims s/he was 'geocaching' ". Disabling the cache at GZ would be a wise move.

Seriously?

Not sure just how someone could possibly not know about this horrific tragedy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/07/quebec-train-derailment-explosion-lac-megantic.html

The official death toll has grown to five in Lac-Mégantic, Que., after a derailed train carrying crude oil exploded in the town's core, levelling buildings and forcing as many as 2,000 people from their homes.

Quebec provincial police said two more bodies were discovered Sunday morning, in addition to the three that were found the night before in the hardest-hit area in the centre of town.

A spokeswoman for the coroner's office said the bodies were found with advanced burns.

Police say about 40 people have been reported missing by immediate family members in the town of about 6,000 people, located roughly 250 kilometres east of Montreal.

The number of missing people continues to fluctuate, as some of those reported missing are reunited with their families.

r-LAC-MEGANTIC-600x275.jpg?6

s-LAC-MEGANTIC-large640.jpg?6

I find it tacky to even think of caching in conjunction with this. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to go looking for caches in the area.

B.

Seriously?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...c-megantic.html

B.

For some the incident might have been overshadowed by the plane crash at SFO on Saturday. A friend of mine was in the airport at the time waiting for her flight home. She's staying in a hotel nearby (at her expense) and is *scheduled* to be on a flight to Chicago tomorrow night.

Considering this is a geocaching site so why wouldn't we talk about the caches regardless what major disaster happened.you guys need to calm down of course people are worried for the people as well and it is tragic. Its a question. Its a cache site.

Seriously?

B.

For some the incident might have been overshadowed by the plane crash at SFO on Saturday. A friend of mine was in the airport at the time waiting for her flight home. She's staying in a hotel nearby (at her expense) and is *scheduled* to be on a flight to Chicago tomorrow night.

Within the context of this thread, the comparison between a train derailment/explosions in Quebec and a plane crash in California have no connection.

The small town in Quebec resembles a war zone. Heavy police/fire/emergency presence along a perimeter would let anyone know that searching for caches in the vicinity would probably be out of the question.

Seriously?

B.

Within the context of this thread, the comparison between a train derailment/explosions in Quebec and a plane crash in California have no connection.

The small town in Quebec resembles a war zone. Heavy police/fire/emergency presence along a perimeter would let anyone know that searching for caches in the vicinity would probably be out of the question.

I wasn't trying to make a judgement on the severity of the incidents, but more a comment on "just how someone could possibly not know about this horrific tragedy". I was not aware of the tragedy in Quebec (even though it's only six hours away from me) simply because I don't follow a news channel which would have reported it. However, I knew about the SFO crash because my friend that still stuck in San Francisco has been updating her FB status about her trials and tribulations of trying to get home.

Seriously?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/07/quebec-train-derailment-explosion-lac-megantic.html

I find it tacky to even think of caching in conjunction with this. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to go looking for caches in the area.

B.

Well, I hadn't heard about this until I read this thread, and I only heard about the crash because one of the guys I cached with yesterday works for Boeing in the 777 program. When I'm traveling I rarely listen to news, I'm out for fun/caching. So, yes, seriously, someone could be heading there and not hear about it.

Well, I hadn't heard about this until I read this thread, and I only heard about the crash because one of the guys I cached with yesterday works for Boeing in the 777 program. When I'm traveling I rarely listen to news, I'm out for fun/caching. So, yes, seriously, someone could be heading there and not hear about it.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not talking about hearing about it on the news. If you attempted to get to Lac Megantic right now, for whatever reason, you would be blocked from entering the town.

I'm also not comparing the scale of disaster between the airplane crash in California and Lac Megantic. I was trying to convey the fact that Lac Megantic was rocked by 6 huge explosions following the derailment. The town is non-functional, for all intents and purposes. San Francisco was not affected in that way.

B.

Considering this is a geocaching site so why wouldn't we talk about the caches regardless what major disaster happened.you guys need to calm down of course people are worried for the people as well and it is tragic. Its a question. Its a cache site.

Oh, sure.

A volcano erupts in your backyard and we will be expecting updates on the condition of your caches.

Besides all the other replies, how will this help the people who downloaded the caches onto a GPSr before the tragedy?

I mean what do you expect? "I got to GZ but didn't see the bench that other people referred to. In fact the whole block was gone. I left a pill container where I think the cache was supposed to be."

I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to go looking for caches in the area.

B.

Well, there are plenty of people around here who would go into that area for whatever reason. After all at least 4 people went out on the flooding, high current, debris filled rivers in Southern Alberta, before the waters even began to recede. The lucky ones got killed. The unlucky ones, well nobody knows...

At least here there will be Police, Fire, and other authorities on sight to prevent people from doing something stupid and getting hurt.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not talking about hearing about it on the news. If you attempted to get to Lac Megantic right now, for whatever reason, you would be blocked from entering the town.

Your quote that went with that statement was a news story. As was the link. But you weren't talking about hearing about it on the news... OKaaay.

If you attempted to get to Lac Megantic right now, for whatever reason, you would be blocked from entering the town.

That's how I read your original comment. The destroyed town would be a pretty big indicator that caching is not on the cards.

This story maybe got a one day mention in the U.S. Media (well, maybe it's huge news in Portland, Maine), but the entire downtown core of a small City of 6,000 people was destroyed. Although the official death toll still sits at 5, over 40 people are missing, and their bodies believed vaporized. Caching is not in the cards, and no one is getting into the destroyed area for months. I'd forget about Geocaching.

That being said, it's quite normal for people to speculate about caching, especially in the case of floods, which recede rather quickly. This is a little more serious than a flood, be it a flood with fatalities or not.

I've added a "Needs Maintenance" log to À l'intersection, closest cache to the center.

Why? Did You visit the site?

You really think that with all the other potential issues the CO is dealing with, they're going to take time out of whatever they're doing to go check on an altoids tin?

Don't worry about it. These caches will be dealt with at a time when it's appropriate. I would be willing to guess that now is not that time.

I've added a "Needs Maintenance" log to À l'intersection, closest cache to the center.

Why? Did You visit the site?

You really think that with all the other potential issues the CO is dealing with, they're going to take time out of whatever they're doing to go check on an altoids tin?

Don't worry about it. These caches will be dealt with at a time when it's appropriate. I would be willing to guess that now is not that time.

You're right. It should have been Needs Archived. Too late to change it now. :shrug:

Did you visit the site? Maybe the cache somehow survived... Stranger things have happened. And Anyway if you are that concerned wouldn't an email to a reviewer be the best choice. The reviewer can then decide on his own, or with the help of Groundspeak to disable or archive any caches that need be.

I'm not sure, either, but the fact is that I hadn't heard about it until I saw this thread, and I saw my first story in the newspaper about it just this morning. For some reason, the US media isn't paying any attention to it. Even after I heard about it in this thread, I figured it must not have been "that bad" because I wasn't seeing it on the news. I'm only finding out now, with the pictures posted here, that that's not even close to being the case.

Not to be critical, but I find it a little tacky to judge someone no matter how they react to such a horrible tragedy. Sure, it's misguided to worry about the caches, not only because they're unimportant, but also because it doesn't matter what state they're in at the moment. It's like posting an NA on a cache that can't be reached in winter just because it's winter. But people react to terrible news in their own way, so there's no need to make them feel worse about it by calling their reaction "tacky".

Did you visit the site? Maybe the cache somehow survived... Stranger things have happened. And Anyway if you are that concerned wouldn't an email to a reviewer be the best choice. The reviewer can then decide on his own, or with the help of Groundspeak to disable or archive any caches that need be.

Okay, I've deleted it. :(

Sure, it's misguided to worry about the caches...

I don't see how it's misguided. This is a geocaching forum. The OP is wondering about geocaches. To me, these seem to jive. Yes, there are much bigger problems in that community, but geocachers talking about the geocaches in that community on a geocaching forum seems completely normal.

Oh, sure.

A volcano erupts in your backyard and we will be expecting updates on the condition of your caches.

That would be neat if that happend and I would update :P

I'm not sure, either, but the fact is that I hadn't heard about it until I saw this thread, and I saw my first story in the newspaper about it just this morning. For some reason, the US media isn't paying any attention to it. Even after I heard about it in this thread, I figured it must not have been "that bad" because I wasn't seeing it on the news. I'm only finding out now, with the pictures posted here, that that's not even close to being the case.

Not to be critical, but I find it a little tacky to judge someone no matter how they react to such a horrible tragedy. Sure, it's misguided to worry about the caches, not only because they're unimportant, but also because it doesn't matter what state they're in at the moment. It's like posting an NA on a cache that can't be reached in winter just because it's winter. But people react to terrible news in their own way, so there's no need to make them feel worse about it by calling their reaction "tacky".

+1

I don't see how it's misguided. This is a geocaching forum. The OP is wondering about geocaches. To me, these seem to jive. Yes, there are much bigger problems in that community, but geocachers talking about the geocaches in that community on a geocaching forum seems completely normal.

As I explained, I think it's misguided because no one can get to the caches so it makes no difference what their fate is yet, and speculating on what their fate is pointless because no one will know for quite some time. Misguided worry is what caused someone to post an entirely unnecessary and, as far as anyone knows, erroneous NA.

Funny how responses to these effects come up every time someone asks this question. Should we add it to the forum schedule?

This story maybe got a one day mention in the U.S. Media (well, maybe it's huge news in Portland, Maine)...

Here in the hinterlands (central Ohio), this story has had extensive coverage in the local newspaper every day ever since the tragedy, including this morning. I just read the latest article over breakfast; it covered the mixed emotions of town residents about allowing train shipments to continue to go through the town. The railroad is desperately need to sustain the local economy, but they're understandably not enthusiastic about dangerous cargo passing through.

I also watch the evening news on television; there's been an update on the story almost every night. Far from a "one day mention," I would call that extensive (and appropriate) coverage of the tragedy.

--Larry

This story maybe got a one day mention in the U.S. Media (well, maybe it's huge news in Portland, Maine)...

Here in the hinterlands (central Ohio), this story has had extensive coverage in the local newspaper every day ever since the tragedy, including this morning. I just read the latest article over breakfast; it covered the mixed emotions of town residents about allowing train shipments to continue to go through the town. The railroad is desperately need to sustain the local economy, but they're understandably not enthusiastic about dangerous cargo passing through.

I also watch the evening news on television; there's been an update on the story almost every night. Far from a "one day mention," I would call that extensive (and appropriate) coverage of the tragedy.

--Larry

OK, my bad, I don't watch the U.S. Network news every night, and I only personally subscribe to a crummy "small City, suburb of a larger City" daily paper. I'm not like The Fonz, I can admit when I'm wrong. :blink:

Absoultely horrible incident. You know, now that I'm looking at those translated logs again, perhaps they are trying to say they logged them in solidarity? Surely the cache isn't there any more, and no one is allowed in the area yet. You can see the fence in a photo attached to their log. I suppose it's possible it's just outside the fence.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Here in the hinterlands (central Ohio), this story has had extensive coverage in the local newspaper every day ever since the tragedy, including this morning.

There have been stories about it on every newscast I've seen out here in western Canada since it happened.

It's also interesting to note that an incident that actually causes loss of life gets vastly more coverage than a far more significant incident (in my opinion) that doesn't cause loss of life. Just a few days before the derailment in Lac Megantic, there was an Al Qaeda-inspired, Boston Marathon bombing-style* terrorist bombing that was foiled right here in my hometown. If the bombing had gone as planned, the bombs would have detonated at the height of the Canada Day celebrations in front of the provincial legislature. There likely would have been even more deaths than in Lac Megantic, but even our local TV station gives only a cursory mention each day. I doubt many of you even heard of it at all. It's sad, but I guess "death sells" in the news business.

*That is, the bombing planned to use several pressure cookers filled with metal debris, placed next to hordes of people.