Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
2428Scout

Girl Scout event

I wanted to know if I could publish temporary caches for use at a Girl Scout exclusive event where I am helping the girls earn their Geocaching Badge. I have older girls that I have taken to published caches, hiking at state parks and such, but I want to teach geocaching to younger girls on school grounds. I would like them to be able to use the iphone app to find them, so they would have to be registered caches. Is it geocache "legal" to publish temporary caches that are only for the Girl Scouts to use on that day of the event? If so, how do I do this? I did this a long time ago with coordinates and a handheld GPS device, but would like to expose them to geocaching.com and the world of geocaching.

I wanted to know if I could publish temporary caches for use at a Girl Scout exclusive event where I am helping the girls earn their Geocaching Badge. I have older girls that I have taken to published caches, hiking at state parks and such, but I want to teach geocaching to younger girls on school grounds. I would like them to be able to use the iphone app to find them, so they would have to be registered caches. Is it geocache "legal" to publish temporary caches that are only for the Girl Scouts to use on that day of the event? If so, how do I do this? I did this a long time ago with coordinates and a handheld GPS device, but would like to expose them to geocaching.com and the world of geocaching.

You have two "legal" options here. 1. Create an event with temp caches. This also has the benefit that locals can come help with the teaching. 2. publish new caches but have the reviewer publish them at a preset time.

Geocaching.com listings must be available to all geocachers, and must remain active for a reasonable period of time (a minimum of three months). See the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines regarding cache permanence, found here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx?expand=1#permanence

It would be best to rephrase your question as "how can I create individual waypoints on a smartphone for people to navigate to as temporary caches?"