Magellan Gc vs Garmin E-trex 20

Lightning20

Recently my Magellan Explorist GC broke and started to not work, now I want to know if the Garmin E-trex, 20 which I saw at an REI, it looked like if it had all the bells and whistles, would be better. I want to know if when you load a cache to the Etrex it has the description and recent logs and stuff like that. If anybody out there has any info on the GPS it would really help.

I want to know if the Garmin E-trex, 20 which I saw at an REI, it looked like if it had all the bells and whistles, would be better. I want to know if when you load a cache to the Etrex it has the description and recent logs and stuff like that.

Short answer.... Yes.

The eTrex 20 is probably a bit better than the GC... however, there are a couple of bells and whistles that it doesn't have, just so you know before purchasing and "expecting" something that is not a part of the unit.

The '20 does not have an electronic compass, so in that respect it is the same as the GC. You need to be moving in order for it to function. As long as you are used to using that type of compass, it shouldn't be a problem. I would not consider that to be a make it or break it deal.

Also, it comes equipped with "base maps". Base maps show little (if any more) than just major roadways. The plus side to that unit is that it accepts a microSD card and will load up maps, available through Garmin for a price, or downloadable online free and otherwise.