Would a new GPS help me?

I am new at geocaching and have used an old Ifinder Expedition C I bought years ago. It seems to sort of work OK as I am just learning how to use it and about geocaching. I have found a dozen caches so far and it seems quite accurate. But I keep wondering if I would do better with less frustration if I bought something that was simpler and easier to use for paperless geocaching. I haven't figure out how to do that with the Ifinder if it is possible. If I opt for a newer machine what would be the least expensive GPS unit good for paperless geocaching. Some thing used that I could get at a pawn shop, garage sale, or on Craig's list might be ideal? Any suggestions or hints for a newbie?

Here's a link to download the full manual, if you don't have one: http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/iFINDER_H2Oc_0148-811_101805.pdf .

You are right, it is an old one and doesn't even mention geocaching in the manual. As noted, it works fine, but is a long ways from being a paperless model.

In order for you to be fully "paperless" and load caches with all info (including the hints), you would need to upgrade your membership to Premium. So, it is a little bit more than just buying another GPSr.

...but, once you cross that line to paperless (and learn some new stuff), you'll never ever want to go back.

As far as what unit -- there is a lot to choose from:

Garmin -- any current unit aside from the eTrex 10 is good. The downside to the 10, is that you cannot load decent maps and it has no ability to add storage (SD card). Other Garmin units come with base maps (except for "T" models). You will probably want to add mapping, as the base maps simply provide major roads and little more. Mapping is available for downloading (free and otherwise).

Magellan -- pretty much the same advice as Garmin. Leave the eXplorist 110 where it sits (on the shelf). Magellan does offer a GPSr designed specifically for geocaching, the eXplorist GC. It is a entry level unit and as such has a couple of minor drawbacks. Most that have one though, love it.

Delorme -- Currently offers one unit, the PN-60. It comes with full topo, route-able mapping of the U.S., Canada and Mexico. The provided mapping is top-notch. Problem is, as with any unit that comes with all the bells and whistles, you'll pay for it. They simply do not offer an "entry level" unit.

I most always advise against thinking "cheapest", as one always seems to come up wanting in the end. Set your requirements instead along the lines of "must haves", then look at prices. Real deals come and go online all the time. Used is fine also, but remember that most used units used and replaced for a reason. Buyer beware.

I am new at geocaching and have used an old Ifinder Expedition C I bought years ago. It seems to sort of work OK as I am just learning how to use it and about geocaching. I have found a dozen caches so far and it seems quite accurate. But I keep wondering if I would do better with less frustration if I bought something that was simpler and easier to use for paperless geocaching. I haven't figure out how to do that with the Ifinder if it is possible. If I opt for a newer machine what would be the least expensive GPS unit good for paperless geocaching. Some thing used that I could get at a pawn shop, garage sale, or on Craig's list might be ideal? Any suggestions or hints for a newbie?

My concern is this part of your post: better with less frustration if I bought something that was simpler and easier to use for paperless geocaching

I had used and learned half a dozen non-paperless Garmin units before getting a paperless Garman. How much different could it be? A LOT DIFFERENT! I looked through the manual a lot (only a little help). I did a LOT of trial and error. I asked several friends questions when I was got stuck on a few points. I always carried one of my older units along so I would be certain I would have something with that I knew how to operate. I used it a few times too.

I wouldn't part with it now. I don't carry a backup any more. I am able to give other friends advice now. None of that happened over night. Be prepared for the learning curve. There will be some frustration along the way, but eventually it becomes easy. I'm certain this will be the case with any newer paperless Make or Model. I have recently looked at a Magellan. Total confusion for me. No problem for the owner. I could learn it eventually. Glad I don't have to.

Go to some events. Make some friends. Find out what they are using, and what they recommend. They would then be your BEST resource to help you learn how to use it.

My concern is this part of your post: better with less frustration if I bought something that was simpler and easier to use for paperless geocaching

I had used and learned half a dozen non-paperless Garmin units before getting a paperless Garman. How much different could it be? A LOT DIFFERENT! I looked through the manual a lot (only a little help). I did a LOT of trial and error. I asked several friends questions when I was got stuck on a few points. I always carried one of my older units along so I would be certain I would have something with that I knew how to operate. I used it a few times too.

I wouldn't part with it now. I don't carry a backup any more. I am able to give other friends advice now. None of that happened over night. Be prepared for the learning curve. There will be some frustration along the way, but eventually it becomes easy. I'm certain this will be the case with any newer paperless Make or Model. I have recently looked at a Magellan. Total confusion for me. No problem for the owner. I could learn it eventually. Glad I don't have to.

Go to some events. Make some friends. Find out what they are using, and what they recommend. They would then be your BEST resource to help you learn how to use it.

Right, it's the same with jumping into any new technology. If you've used similar & are upgrading, it's a small learning curve. If it's brand new to you, be prepared to invest a lot of time.

Edited by wmpastor