funny caching sories?

icon_mad.gif I'm not old enough to drive yet so I've been know to do some dumb things to get to a cache. Once I walked six miles from a bus stop along a busy road on a late winter night while it was snowing heavily. I had packed everything I would need, or so I thought. Got to the giant hollow, thick with trees and bushes, time to get the flashlight, but wait, oh no...forgot to pack that!!! Oh well I'll just call my mom to come pick me up, cell phone battery dead, but I'm a ham operator so I pulled out the radio to make an autopatch call, what are the chances, I wasn't able to get the first two letters of my callsign off before the radio flickered and died. I sat down on a curb in frustration, downed a pepsi, and began the six mile walk back to the bus stop, past 10:00. Finally made it home just before one, after a long wait at the bus stop, and a slow drive home, on a bus with an insane driver.

This is not my story, but it is the funniest geocaching story I have ever heard.

Well, I tried to make the link work, but I can't, and I don't have time to fuss with it. READ IT BELOW.

Read it here. LINK BROKEN!

ENJOY!!!

--------------------------------------------

September 29, 2002 by Salvo (Salvo) (291 found)

#153 9/29/2002 @1045hrs -I arrived at the park and was immediately impressed with this jem of a park. The state had gone to some measure to make it a nice place to visit. I found the info boards very informative as I hiked towards the cache.

Along the way, I spied a big box turtle making his way across the path. I briefly thought about picking him up to bring home to my kids, but then thought better of it. 1 turtle, and 11 kids equal an instant fight. Besides there wouldn't be enough of him to go around. Move along little fella...

I get into the general vicinity of the cache, and my GPS starts going bonkers due to tree cover. I line up and get cross bearings from a number of different compass points, and after marching around a bit, and 45 minutes later, I spot the cache and am about to pull the cache when I hear a snap. I come out of my cache find euphoria and look in the direction to see what.. a dog? No.. RAZORBACK!!

He's about 40ft from me. My first thought is the yell ''GIT!'', and I threw my GPS at him (Looking back on that, WHAT was I thinking!), then I threw my Cellular at him, then I threw my green cache bag at him -all missing the pig.

SNORT!!! He's already mad at me for being in his turf, and now he's madder. All I see are tusks, fur, and leaves flying as he charges. I back pedaled around a tree behind me, and this sucker's fast, and can spin on a dime. As I have nothing left to use, my ''fight'' instincts now shifted over to ''flight''. I turned and jumped for this wide tree behind me.

(TIME FREEZE)

Have you ever had this happen to you when you did something really stupid? This happened at this time. As soon as I made contact with the tree, the base of the tree snapped, and down she went. While on the way down... I had plenty of time to reflect on the stupidity of this act, as well as had the thought that this was going to hurt... Seemed like I was falling for 5 minutes.

(TIME Continue)

The tree and I hit the ground together, at which time I took a shot to the jewels from the trunk. As the tree hits, there's a crash, and twigs and sticks are flying. In between the stars and black spots I'm seeing, I hear a loud ''Sqweeeeee!!!'' as the Razorback runs off.

I extracated myself from the tree, and limped around in a daze for a moment. Ow!! I'm mad now, and am about to give out one of those Arnold Schwartzenegger/Preditor War yells, but decide better of it, as it'd probably come out sounding more like a shrill schoolgirl squeal, given my current condition. That'll leave a mark...

I picked up my GPS, Phone, and Bag and walked back out to the paved trail and back to my truck. I'm in shock. Once back at the truck, I realized that I hadn't opened the cache. Hmmm, I'm not going back IN there, not without some Artillary and Heavy Hardware!

A little later in the day, I was exhausted and called my wife to let her know I was on my way back early. I hadn't told her this story. When I got home, she had my dinner ready ..Pork Chops! My wife ...I gotta love her!

Took nothing, but left a bunch of small items that flew out of my bag.

-----------------------------------------------

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

EDIT - couldn't get the link to work. Sorry.

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on May 09, 2003 at 07:16 AM.]

This is our log for ROADRUNNERS #6 GCF936.

This one took us two days to do. Last night we did our 6th cache for the day GCD604. Jane said This one is only 1.5 miles. So off we go. We find the road in? Nice dirt road. Road narrows, and at 450 feet away, we see the main dirt road. We pull onto it only to find out that it is a river bed, sand. Our Ford f150 got stuck. The four of us, (Jane, myself, our 8 year old and 6 year old) dug, pushed etc. for an hour and a half. No luck. And of course the high tension lines blocked out phone reception. Finally at 9:30 we took the 9 month old puppy, and we all hiked the half mile, in the sand to the road. Flagged down a motorist, and hitched a ride into Surprise. Then had a nephew bring us home.

Today I went out with my neighbor and a tow rope, and we got the truck onto firm ground, then did the cache. Took a Panda77 domino 4-1. Left MAgical Memories pencil. Thanks for the very MAgical Memory. BEWARE OF THE SAND.

quote:
Originally posted by ETREX 700:

icon_mad.gif I'm not old enough to drive yet so I've been know to do some dumb things to get to a cache. Once I walked six miles from a bus stop along a busy road on a late winter night while it was snowing heavily. I had packed everything I would need, or so I thought. Got to the giant hollow, thick with trees and bushes, time to get the flashlight, but wait, oh no...forgot to pack that!!! Oh well I'll just call my mom to come pick me up, cell phone battery dead, but I'm a ham operator so I pulled out the radio to make an autopatch call, what are the chances, I wasn't able to get the first two letters of my callsign off before the radio flickered and died. I sat down on a curb in frustration, downed a pepsi, and began the six mile walk back to the bus stop, past 10:00. Finally made it home just before one, after a long wait at the bus stop, and a slow drive home, on a bus with an insane driver.

I have the same problem I cant drive yet but i use my bicycle and i do not ever have to wary about snow.

My husband, two friends, and I were out caching. According to the cache description, there was a beach near the trail and we were wanting to visit the beach to fly our kites after logging the find. We went a little ways and discovered we had followed the wrong trail. As my husband is blind, and we were going to cut through the trees and do a little bushwhacking. I asked him if he wanted to go with us or if he wanted to wait on the main trail and we'd be right back? He decided to wait, so we left the kite with him and took off. It only took us about 5 minutes to find the cache and start heading back.

Just as we had started back, we heard a dog start to bark. We came out of the woods and there is my husband, standing right where we left him, talking with two people who had a yappy little dog.

We drew closer. My husband, who was laid off in December, is telling this guy all about his job prospects and job hunt.

I had 2 thoughts:

1. What are these people going to think of a woman who leaves her blind husband alone in the woods with only a kite for protection?

and

2. He really will talk to anyone.

We drew up on them, and my husband introduced me to the guy. It turns out it was a guy he worked with in his old firm and they were catching up on old times.

The guy said he was so surprised to see Michael out in the woods and couldn't figure out how he'd gotten out there. icon_biggrin.gif

It was a good laugh at the end of the day!

Susan

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. --Galadriel, "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring"

My best story didn't happen to me, but I inadvertently caused it. And I'm not sure the people it happened to thought it was so funny. Everyone else did, though. I've told the story too many times, so I'll just let everyone infer it from my log. I'm still worried my phone is tapped.

See also the log after mine. They were still talking about it a week later.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Would have been even better if the next finder logged, "Took Anthrax; left Poison" icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

My best story didn't happen to me, but I inadvertently caused it. And I'm not sure the people it happened to thought it was so funny. Everyone else did, though. I've told the story too many times, so I'll just let everyone http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2048&log=y#661787. I'm still worried my phone is tapped.

See also the log after mine. They were still talking about it a week later.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

_Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back_ -- Dar Williams

My 'funny' story is actually pretty sad and pathetic. One of the first caches I logged was located near a bog/marsh. I arrived at the parking lot. Looked at my GPS and it indicated the cache was about .25 miles due west. I noticed there were nice paved foot trails going north and south which gently turned to the west. But I decided to take the direct route across field of tall grass. I walked about a tenth of a mile when I realized I was on soft ground and beginning to be surrounded my cattails.

I looked at the GPS. The cache was .15 miles due east. Rather than turn round to avoid the soggy ground I decided to push on. How bad could it be? Now I'm in ankle deep water. But I'm soooo close. I suck it up and push on. To make a long story short I ended up in water up to my waist. Then mud up to my ankles. I lost a shoe. Had to reach down and pull it out of the mud and decided to cary it. I was exhausted as I pushed on. finally I broke free of the mud and hit firm ground. About ten feet away was that *##!!! paved foot path. I found the cache quickly. Logged it and returned to the parking lot via the path. Of course it was busy with people jogging, walking the dog, etc. I'm sure the wondered about the muddy fat man and the squishy shoes with cattail fuzz all over his clothes.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I had an experience *very* similar to Jolly's. I had five finds under my belt and was in an unfamiliar town and wanted to take a friend on his first cache. The cache involved a little math at the initial site. I did the math, and my GPS pointed me what appeared to be out of the park and across two major roads. This made no sense to us, but we drove over there anyway. We ended up at an apartment complex, and the etrex was telling me it was back in the swampy area behind. I wasn't prepared for swamp, but I made an effort. I got within 500 feet and could see some kind of structure ahead, but it was just too wet. I later found out that the hiking path passes under both of the roads. The cache is just off the path near a boardwalk that crosses the swamp.

I didn't learn, of course. This weekend, after taking the longer, paved route to a cache, I tried to bushwhack back to the car. Cattails and mud.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on June 17, 2003 at 08:55 AM.]

Here's a funny story - It's about a cache i placed, not one i found. I placed a cache feet away from the Harpeth River, at the base of a tree. I knew that around November, December, etc, when it usally floods, i'd need to remove the cache. Well, just a few weeks after i placed it, we had alot of rain in a short amount of time, so i didn't have time to get down there and move it untill the flood waters recedded. Well...guess what...it got swept away in the flood waters. So, there's a geocache floating down the River, now. lol

-JacobTN

Oh yes, can I ever relate to the horror of terrain...

A couple of weeks ago, I was visiting my dad in New York and decided to take him for his first cache. We had to leave at 11:00am to go visit a friend of his, and selected a cache about a half mile from his house. The terrain was a 2.5 stars. It was 10am.

We got over to the site and found the parking space listed. The cache description said we would have to cross the river and we could possibly see the cache from the river. Rather than crossing via the obvious bridge, we splashed through the river banks. My dad slipped and fell in the river, immersing and killing his brand new digital camera.

We got to the other side of the hill. Did I say hill? More like a mountain. We started to slog our way up.

I had worn my sister's hiking sandals knowing that the water was a potential problem when wearing shoes.

Unfortunately, the area has experienced an extremely wet spring after a seriously bad winter snowfall-wise. The mountain had turned from dirt to MUD. At times I was sinking in up to my ankles in mud. The force required to extricate my feet from said mud caused the straps on my sandals to break.

I admit, I'm out of shape. The mountain got the better of me and I gave up when the second shoe broke.

My dad, fearless, decided to take the GPS and give it a whirl. He strode up the hill. He got within 4 feet of the thing, but not really knowing what he was doing, couldn't locate the cache. I started transversing the woods towards the road, barefoot. My dad was yelling something I couldn't understand given the distance between us. I couldn't see him either.

Finally, he yelled and was coming closer. I could see him. He bent down. His deck shoe had come off. He was standing on one foot to pull out the shoe from the mud, and when he had retrieved it, his other foot had mired in the muck. He strolled down to where I was, barefoot.

We were both soaking wet and covered in black mud. My dad's hands were covered from his tangle with the mud to retrieve his shoes. I let my shoes rest in peace in the woods. We came out on the street only to discover that there we were, barefoot, facing a steel deck bridge to cross. Pain had a new definition by the time I got over that in bare feet.

We got to his car. His brand new car with the light gray interior. Fortunately this is a remote area, and no one was around. He asked me to take the key from his pocket and drive home. I retrieved the key and got the car open. He sat down and got mud all over the car seats. I gave up, stripped off my overalls and drove home in my t-shirt and underwear.

We got home at ten minutes before noon.

To see a picture of my dad post-cache, visit my website, click on "geocaching" and click on the link for pictures I've taken while geocaching.

To his credit, the next day he asked me to take him to the cache I hid up there. I showed him how it worked and he's decided to buy a GPS himself and give caching a whirl. We spent all day Sunday laughing about the experience. We got more out of that 2 hours than if we had actually found the cache. It was a hoot.

Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. --Galadriel, "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring"

Memorial Day weekend, we made our first attempt at cache GCG1ZA. Found cords, and also a Turkey Buzzard nesting below the entrance to the cache cave. After scaring each other, the bird left the nest, and I entered the cave, while wife stayed outside, 2 or 3 trips in and out of the cave with no cache, wife decided to follow me back inside. She commented about the bad smell inside, no big deal, just bat @#$@# or musty cave smell. I went into the cave deeper, and wife decided to stop and wait on me. As I returned and we headed out of the cave, I noticed something on wifes rear end, not mud, turns out the smell was caused by buzzard dinner, entrail of somethin dead. Sat right in the stuff, was she ever mad. No cache, we decided to check out the area, loose gravel and rocks, but we hike all the time, no problems, I went up a small rock formation, and as I was coming back down, slipped on a slab of rock, went down like rag doll. Scraped up left thumb, strained right wrist, and landed on my left shoulder and head. Wife thought I had knocked myself out. First aid applied and we went on caching for the rest of the weekend. Part 2 to follow. A&T HIKERS

Part 2. After failed attempt at cache, we went back about 2 weeks later, same result, searched our rears off, and no cache. 3rd attempt last weekend, got to cache a 7:00 AM, in and out with cache, clean up and are leaving area by 8:00 AM. Decided to take backroad to Nature Center, about 8/10 miles, had gone about half way to N.C. car stuck a small stick, bounced up under back of Jeep, ripped out fuel lines, dead in our tracks. A couple of hunters found us, took us to Texaco station, wrecker arived about 90 minutes later. At garage, damage could not be fixed. Called son back home, rescue mission planned, truck and tow dolly to arive a few hours later. {Son and his girlfriend had planned romantic weekend, and end up spending it with us} 4:00PM, son arrives, load Jeep, and head home. Everything is working out untill we loose the tread off one of the tow dolly tires, about 50 miles from home. No problem, we've go a spare, that's flat. Luckily the tire that has no tread, still has air, we limp on into a service station, air up the spare, change to the dolly, and get home about 9:00PM. Long day of caching, but we picked up 3 Travel Bugs. A&T HIKERS

On my very first geocache hunt I was busy looking down at the GPS as I zero'd in on the spot. When I looked up I found that I was pretty near a delivery truck driver who had just pulled over to water the ivy. He was giving me that "what are you staring at buddy" look. And I wasn't staring, I was thinking, Geez, the cache is supposed to be here in the ivy somewhere, but there's no way I'm reaching down there now. Luckly, I was able to backtrack and find it about twenty feet away. Now everytime I do an ivy search, I wonder.

DrHugAlot

a log i posted today

"i don't know why, but i seem to have problems with many of greenback's caches.. this one was a total disaster. i walked over to this cache after finding Fore, also by greenback. my gpsr was telling me i was on the right side of the river, but i thought maybe i could get a better view of the cache if i crossed over to the other side.

there was a dam at the cache, but it didn't look particularly sturdy, so i walked south to the road that crosses the river with a bridge. unfortunately, it didn't seem possible to cross the river without first crossing the road, which was full of traffic, unless i wanted to walk in the couple feet of shoulder space next to the traffic. i decided against this and walked back to the dam to try my luck there.

i was getting across the dam just fine, but, as i was nearing the other side, i took a wrong step into something that looked solid but wasn't. my left leg took a knee-deep plunge into the river, soaking my pant leg, shoe, and sock. i pulled myself back up, but made another mistake and the leg went back in the water. i finally just went back to the side of the river where i started, and took off my shoe and sock to dump out the water.

after this, i just looked on that side of the river, climbing down to the edge to get a closer look at any location that seemed a possibility. my gpsr was getting a fairly poor reading, so i faced the river and held it out in front of me with two hands, close to my body so it wouldn't fall in too deep water if i dropped it. it was about at waist level, and close to my body.

as i stood there at the edge of the river, i heard footsteps behind and above me. i looked back to see a woman pass by with her dog. the woman looked at me and said "sorry!" but i didn't know why at first. she then looked down at my left pant leg and made a look of disgust and continued walking.

wondering what the face was for, i looked down at myself. there i was, standing at the edge, facing the river, with both my hands at my waist and my left pant leg soaked. and i never even found the cache."

wampasig.jpg

alaska floatplane pictures

[This message was edited by wilywampa on August 07, 2003 at 01:10 PM.]