transfer a cache from my droid to my GPS unit

kellyrenae

How can I transfer a cache from my droid app (c:geo) to my GPS (Oregon 450T) Ive been lurking around awhile here and havent seen much on this subject but after doing my own research I have come to the conclusion that it cant be done.

It would be great to be able to be out and about to look for a cache and be able to just transfer it over from my phone. I love the c:geo app but it drains my phone battery like crazy. You would think you could hook up the phone to your gps and do it that way.

Sorry if this has been talked about and I missed it.

How can I transfer a cache from my droid app (c:geo) to my GPS (Oregon 450T) Ive been lurking around awhile here and havent seen much on this subject but after doing my own research I have come to the conclusion that it cant be done.

It would be great to be able to be out and about to look for a cache and be able to just transfer it over from my phone. I love the c:geo app but it drains my phone battery like crazy. You would think you could hook up the phone to your gps and do it that way.

Sorry if this has been talked about and I missed it.

Does c:Geo export GPX files? That's the most likely way to do that. I do it all the time with CachSense; export to a Dropbox folder and then on the computer drop it in the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS.

Edited by JohnCNA

Looks like with cachesense and the proper cables (probably OTG) you could do it in the field w/o involving Dropbox. Although that would be a little complicated in the field. The best way if you are on the spur of the moment and don't have time to do PQ's would be to get an extra battery or external battery pack for the droid.

I don't think it can be done. Why would you need to? You're a Premium member....are you familiar with Pocket Queries? You have a great GPS unit, you can download thousands of caches to it from any computer. Maybe takes 10 minutes of preparation at home.

I havent gotten to the pocket queries yet..kinda confused about them. What I am really looking to do is say I go on a random road trip to somewhere 3 hrs away from here and I decide I want to geocache in that area. It would be nice to be able to just turn on my gps unit and have them all right there instead of having to plan ahead and d/l the ones I want in that area before leaving home. Maybe I'm missing out on something here..my c:geo app on the phone has them all right there no matter where Im at.

The way I have been doing it is..i decide before hand where Im going...bring up the map on geocache.com site and choose the ones I want to do, then one by one I download them to my Oregon GPS...I know there has to be a way easier way of doing this because it gets quite monotonous doing it one cache at a time and can take me an hour or more to d/l the ones I want.

There are several ways.

Pocke Queries using the fill in form.

Pocket Queries system two: find a cache in the area you want. Click on maps. Make modifications as desired and then click the save as pocket query.

GSAK and the froggies API using it how you like. Personally the google map option works for me.

Lastly dump your gps and get the new monterra from garmin which you apparently can wifi up to your phone for direct Internet access.

Probably more ways I can't think of.