Should I delete my Needs Maintenance logs after CO fixes issue?

mud plodders

I've been doing a lot of cleanup of caches around my area by posting needs maintenance notes on ones that have strings of DNF's in a row (when the hadn't been DNF'd before that) or have clear issues. Some of these CO's then resolve the issues and update the cache that it's fixed. One thing though is that the Needs Maintenance post I put up is still there and shows the red wrench on the cache page when in reality it no longer needs maintenance since it's been fixed. Should I delete my needs maintenance logs after it's been fixed if the CO doesn't remove the log themselves?

Thanks

mud plodders

I'd say no.

It's part of the cache history and, in my view, is an aid to other cachers in determining whether a particular cache has a history of being muggled, being adversely affected by weather/climate, or a particularly inattentive CO.

The CO will clear the 'Needs maintenance' attribute when they log an 'Owner maintenance' log.

I've been doing a lot of cleanup of caches around my area by posting needs maintenance notes on ones that have strings of DNF's in a row (when the hadn't been DNF'd before that) or have clear issues. Some of these CO's then resolve the issues and update the cache that it's fixed. One thing though is that the Needs Maintenance post I put up is still there and shows the red wrench on the cache page when in reality it no longer needs maintenance since it's been fixed. Should I delete my needs maintenance logs after it's been fixed if the CO doesn't remove the log themselves?

Thanks

mud plodders

There's no need to delete your NM log. It's part of the history of the cache and your experience.

Besides, it won't make any difference if you delete your NM log. Until the cache owner either posts an "owner maintenance" log or removes the attribute, the red wrench will continue to appear on the cache page.

Perhaps you could contact the cache owner or post a "write note" log to explain the process to him/her. I've posted a note on a cache page to explain to the owner how to remove the red wrench attribute and they've taken care of it. Some of them just don't know about it. Some think that the "enable" log should take care of it.

Help Center → Geocaching → Beginner's Basics

1.3. Cache Log Types and Icons

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.8. Caches That Need Maintenance

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=57

B.

Thanks

mud plodders

There's no need to delete your NM log. It's part of the history of the cache and your experience.

Besides, it won't make any difference if you delete your NM log. Until the cache owner either posts an "owner maintenance" log or removes the attribute, the red wrench will continue to appear on the cache page.

Perhaps you could contact the cache owner or post a "write note" log to explain the process to him/her. I've posted a note on a cache page to explain to the owner how to remove the red wrench attribute and they've taken care of it. Some of them just don't know about it. Some think that the "enable" log should take care of it.

Help Center → Geocaching → Beginner's Basics

1.3. Cache Log Types and Icons

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.8. Caches That Need Maintenance

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=57

B.

Cool, thanks to you both. I didn't realize the wrench would clear if they do an Owner Maintenance log. I'll let the CO's that I notice not clearing the wrench know that. Some CO's clear the wrench and my log is still there, I just didn't know it was the Owner Maintenance log that did that :)

Thanks!

mud plodders

Are you searching out these caches yourself before posting a NM log? I know nothing pisses me off more than someone posting a NM log on a cache simply because they could not find it.. (or in this case because previous posters could not find it).

IMO, don't delete any logs.. even the ones entered in error. Log is a log is log.

Shaun

Are you searching out these caches yourself before posting a NM log? I know nothing pisses me off more than someone posting a NM log on a cache simply because they could not find it.. (or in this case because previous posters could not find it).

IMO, don't delete any logs.. even the ones entered in error. Log is a log is log.

Shaun

Why would I go searching for a cache that is clearly missing? It seems silly to say that unless I go looking for the cache I can't post a needs maintenance. If there are a string of DNF's on a cache that no one ever misses or people say "I found this last year, it's not there now" then I think it's right to post a needs maintenance so the CO fixes before people spend more time trying to find something that's not there.

Why would I go searching for a cache that is clearly missing? It seems silly to say that unless I go looking for the cache I can't post a needs maintenance. If there are a string of DNF's on a cache that no one ever misses or people say "I found this last year, it's not there now" then I think it's right to post a needs maintenance so the CO fixes before people spend more time trying to find something that's not there.

What if it was moved "sometime last year" and instead of checking coords, someone assumes it's now missing ?

Shaun

Wow! Why would you post NM on a cache you haven't searched for? Do you have a Cache Cop Badge?

Edited by Harry Dolphin