Problem Transferring PQ's to GPS

Yesterday I had a repeat performance of an issue that has been recurring off and for us since we initially started using PQ's. My wife and I decided to go out and do a little caching in the local area so I downloaded an 8.7MB file of 1000 caches nearest our home. We created this query months ago and use it frequently. We have two GPS units, a Garmin Oregon 450 and a Garmin GPSMap 62. Before dragging and dropping the new PQ folder into the GPX folder of both devices, I made sure to delete and trash the older PQ of the same name on both devices. I ejected both "volumes" properly before disconnecting them from the computer. We jumped in the car and drove 7 miles to the area we wanted to cache in and when we turned on the devices they didn't have any of the caches appear on our geo-cache list screens or the map screens.We had to return home and re-transfer the PQ's on to the devices and start over. I've had this happen with one or both devices in the past and usually ( unless I forget as I did yesterday) I check both units before heading out to make sure that the caches did actually transfer properly. When they don't, initially I reconnect the GPS to the computer and look inside the GPX folder to see if the PQ folder is there ( it always is), I open the folder to see if the two GPX files are inside it (they always are) and at that point I just assume that the file is corrupted somehow and trash it and reload the PQ again from the computer ( not a new PQ but the one I just downloaded). Then I disconnect after ejecting the volume and reboot the handheld to see if the caches show up this time. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If they don't, I trash the file again and then before transferring the PQ from the computer to the device, I rename the folder from the original name of the downloaded file ( example: 6980138_HomeCachesPocketQuery) by deleting all the numbers and hyphen so that it is now just "HomeCachesPocketQuery". This seems to almost always solve the problem. I have rarely if ever had to download a new PQ from geocaching.com in order to get the transfer to work properly.

Anyone out there have any idea of what's going on here? I know that I'm using exactly the same technique each time I do these transfers but I've found that the results vary for no apparent reason. Since it happens with two different Garmin units, I don't think it's an issue with the devices. Is this an issue unique to us or is this something other users are dealing with too and if so, have they come up with any bulletproof solution? Otherwise I guess we're stuck with checking each time before we go out to make sure the files are actually readable by the devices before leaving home and re-transferring them if they aren't. It always works eventually but it's a real pain!

Exasperated in NW PA

I'm using a 78sc and I have seen somewhat similar problems.

My workaround or mitigating method is essentially to never 'overwrite' GPX files on my GPSr:

1) Connect the GPSr to the computer.

2) Using USB (mass storage) mode and Windows explorer, navigate to the \GPX folder and delete any 'old' pocket queries from the GPSr. I always keep the pocket queries on the removable media on the GPSr, but I also always check both the \GPX folder on the device and the removable media to make sure I didn't screw up. They both need to be empty of pocket queries at this point.

3) "Eject" the GPSr, physcially disconnect it from the computer and boot it up. Make sure the unit fully turns on and I can see a map.

4) Download the new PQ onto my computer.

5) Unzip the GPX PQ files into a directory on my computer.

6) Connect the GPSr to the computer.

6) Using USB (mass storage) mode and Windows explorer, copy the unzipped GPX PQ files to the \GPX folder on the removable media drive on the GPSr.

7) "Eject" the GPSr, physcially disconnect it from the computer and boot it up. Make sure the unit fully turns on and I can see a map and the geocaches.

I also follow this procedure when loading custom KMZ maps.

The key steps are 2 and 3 - I have made my unit unresponsive when 'overwriting' existing custom maps and GPX pocket query files. And I have seen reports that this has happened to others. It's not clear to me from your post if you are doing step 3 - booting the GPSr with NOTHING on it - after deleting the old PQ and before loading the new PQ. This is the key step for me. I never trust just 'seeing' the GPX files on the drive in Windows Explorer - I want to see the symbols on a map on the GPSr screen.

Actually yesterday I transferred five PQ's and they wouldn't show up...even when I used my 'method' above. I had to go through my 'method' all over again to get them to appear. Who knows what happened. Probably something weird in the file transfer. But I caught it before leaving the house with step 7 (the GPX files appeared OK on the media in Windows Explorer, but there were no geocaches on the unit after booting it up - for whatever reason, the unit wasn't 'reading' the GPX files).

My method takes more time - booting the GPSr at least twice makes it a cumbersome process. But worth it to avoid problems in the field.

Also, storing the PQ files and the custom maps on the removable media means that if I do have a problem with the GPSr in the field, I can physically eject the media and run the GPSr with nothing on it. Not ideal, but better than no GPSr at all.

Dave

Storing your PQ's on an external microSD card (if your GPS has a slot for one) makes this problem easier to resolve in the field if it happens.

If you end up with the "No geocaches found" message, power down the GPS, remove the microSD card, restart the GPS.

Power the GPS down again, reinsert the microSD card, start the GPS again.

The GPS will then reindex the GPX file(s) and you should be OK after that.

Hello,

I agree with the info provided by the other contributors. Sounds like you really want more confidence that you've actually loaded new caches before you leave home. I use GSAK and I know that I've uploaded new caches. If you are not familiar with GSAK, there is a free program called Easy GPS. With Easy GPS, you will need to find your query, then simply select the type of GPS you are using. You will know before you leave if you've been successful. Again, its free, and a great place to gain some control over your pocket queries. Hope this helps.