To Sell Or Not To Sell

Hemorrhage

Hi all, I've been a long term lurker to these forums without many posts but thought I could use some expert advice. I've recently had some expenses come up and was debating on if I should sell my geocoin collection to help with them. The reason I ask is many of them are special to me and would be hard to part with, but I would be willing to do so if it would cover the bills. I'm sure I could come up with another solution, but this just seemed to be the quickest one.

I have about 225-230 trackable and unactivated coins in my collection. Would it be reasonable to expect around $2000 for them? I realize that some are obviously much more valuable than others, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Also, if I were to sell them would it be better to list them individually or in one big lot? Any comments or input would be appreciated

Edited to add a link to my coin list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsG7kQCW-9DIdEp0dHlpRk5DdXZaUS1kQVVjdTdFZXc&usp=sharing

Edited by Hemorrhage

Hi all, I've been a long term lurker to these forums without many posts but thought I could use some expert advice. I've recently had some expenses come up and was debating on if I should sell my geocoin collection to help with them. The reason I ask is many of them are special to me and would be hard to part with, but I would be willing to do so if it would cover the bills. I'm sure I could come up with another solution, but this just seemed to be the quickest one.

I have about 225-230 trackable and unactivated coins in my collection. Would it be reasonable to expect around $2000 for them? I realize that some are obviously much more valuable than others, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Also, if I were to sell them would it be better to list them individually or in one big lot? Any comments or input would be appreciated

Selling them individually might generate more money, but would be an administrative burden and would probably leave some unsold. Why not take a middle road? Sell groups of coins. Put together logical combinations - different-sized groups - and then maybe you'll only have 20-50 transactions instead of 225.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am still on the fence on whether or not to part with them, but I can post a list for you all to look at and hopefully get more advice. That being said, I think I would prefer to sell them together as a lot instead of individually. Like wmpastor said, I may not make as much on them but it would be hard for me to work full time and sort hundreds of packages in the evening for shipping.

Here is a link to a google document with all my coins. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsG7kQCW-9DIdEp0dHlpRk5DdXZaUS1kQVVjdTdFZXc&usp=sharing

I can't imagine parting with coins dear to me, mostly they have a story why I treasure them.

There must be other items in your household to sell at ebay first, before starting considering a collection.

Be it the never really used backpack or tent, or the sport kite with two lines, the kids "needed" and than lost interest after the first time flying. This might not yield quick cash, but it would be a start and also unclutter your home.

I guess you could post a list of your coins (with prices you hope to get for them) here in the forums, or you could place some coins or all at ebay. Generally most coiners wouldn't spend thousands on a lot, which might contain coins already in their collection. So to sell as complete collection won't be an option, even if this might appeal to you, as it would be easy.

Personally I would go for the ebay option, if I had to sell stuff.

edit: silly typo, as usual... <_<

Edited by ElliPirelli

I am not sure that anyone is ready to buy the whole lot. Personally I don't collect all sorts of geocoins, I limit my collection to a theme.

You have some interesting coins on that list, so if you have the time to deal with individual purchases, you might make more money selling those separately first. The remaining coins could easily go into grab bags of 5-20 coins. At least that's how I would do it.

I am not sure that anyone is ready to buy the whole lot. Personally I don't collect all sorts of geocoins, I limit my collection to a theme.

You have some interesting coins on that list, so if you have the time to deal with individual purchases, you might make more money selling those separately first. The remaining coins could easily go into grab bags of 5-20 coins. At least that's how I would do it.

This seems to be my best option. I have had several offers on individual coins, and if I'm unable to unload them in one lot I will sell off the ones I have offers on and do some grab bags on the rest. I appreciate everyone's feedback and offers so far and will keep you all posted.