Don't grab it if you can't log it same day!

SLAPSH0T

Please, for the love of all things Holy, if you do not have the capability of logging a trackable on the same day that you grab it, then don't pick it up and/or place it into another cache!

Situation:

I picked up two trackables, Ladybug and Little Curd from a travel bug hotel here in Georgia, Travel Bug Treehouse. Niether of the two trackables were on the cache inventory. So after I grabbed them I "dipped" them both into the cache I found them in so that the mileage would be correct and then moved them on to different caches. On my logs on the trackable's pages I said something to the effect of "noobs probably didn't log them properly". The next day I get this rude e-mail from the guy who dropped the trackables, "bflentje":

Geocaching <noreply@geocaching.com>

Jun 25 (9 days ago)

to me

Your log on the coin pretty makes you look like a jackass. The TB was dropped two days ago and I am still on the road. Learn to temper your lame comments. BTW I'll be regrabbing it once I get a moment.

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PRTHH4

So then this guy logs both trackables back into the cache that I originally found them in, making their actually location inaccurate. He the proceeds to say in his logs that it'll be up to me to fix the logs. To alleviate all of this nonsense, simply don't pick up or drop off a trackable if you can't log it the same day!!!!

I have the geocaching app on my smartphone, so all my logging is done right there, at GZ. What I can't figure out about the whole thing is this: The guy had the ablility to log his find on the cache page, and subsequently send me that douchy e-mail, but says he couldn't log the trackables because he's "on the road"? Makes no sense at all.

Please, for the love of all things Holy, if you do not have the capability of logging a trackable on the same day that you grab it, then don't pick it up and/or place it into another cache!

Situation:

I picked up two trackables, Ladybug and Little Curd from a travel bug hotel here in Georgia, Travel Bug Treehouse. Niether of the two trackables were on the cache inventory. So after I grabbed them I "dipped" them both into the cache I found them in so that the mileage would be correct and then moved them on to different caches. On my logs on the trackable's pages I said something to the effect of "noobs probably didn't log them properly". The next day I get this rude e-mail from the guy who dropped the trackables, bflentje:

Geocaching <noreply@geocaching.com>

Jun 25 (9 days ago)

to me

Your log on the coin pretty makes you look like a jackass. The TB was dropped two days ago and I am still on the road. Learn to temper your lame comments. BTW I'll be regrabbing it once I get a moment.

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PRTHH4

So then this guy logs both trackables back into the cache that I originally found them in, making their actual location inaccurate since I have already moved them on. He the proceeds to say in his logs that it'll be up to me to "fix" my logs. It's unbelievable to me that a cacher would intentionally make a trackable's location inaccurate just to spite me. To alleviate all of this nonsense, simply don't pick up or drop off a trackable if you can't log it the same day!!!!

I have the geocaching app on my smartphone, so all my logging is done right there, at GZ. If I don't have my phone or I don't have a signal, I won't pick up a trackable. I've had a ton of trackables lost and misplaced, and a lot of it is due to people who don't log in a timely manner. What I can't figure out about the whole thing is this: The guy had the ablility to log his find on the cache page, and subsequently send me that douchy e-mail, but says he couldn't log the trackables because he's "on the road"? Makes no sense at all. Out of the 5 years I've been caching, this is the first bad experience I've had.

I'm no noob, and I've picked up / dropped trackables when I wouldn't be able to log them the same day.

I have no smart phone, no cell phone, rarely if ever take a computer with me, or even worry about it.

It's pretty rude of you to start making demands of other people and getting into email battles with other geocachers.

Posting rude, condescending, insulting logs on trackable pages is pretty low.

Your post here violates a bunch of the Forum Rules. Did you even notice the Forum Rules?

Rude, combatative, demanding...yup, that's a good way to impress me.

<_<

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I think that you need to give them a week, not everyone has instant internet access especially when travelling. I do agree that dropping them into the cache after you had grabbed and "dipped" them was bad form though. Things could have been dealt with more civilly.

At the end of the day its the poor TB owner that suffers, when other caches can't work together when this occurs.

I rarely respond to posts, but this one just got to me.

*NOT EVERYONE HAS A SMART PHONE.

*Some cachers don't have time to log when on a road trip

as some may need to SLEEP when they stop at a hotel.

*Many cachers find 50 or more caches and some get hundreds in a day.

*Some cachers wait weeks to log finds/trackables.

*There are many reasons why cachers may not be able to log the same day--

such as NO internet, computer problems, etc....

***THIS IS A GAME and NOT EVERYONE PLAYS IT THE SAME WAY!!!

You are the one who needs to have some mercy!!!

Here is a copy/ paste of your yearly finds:

Year Total Caches Find Rate

2008 18 0.5625 caches/day

2009 112 0.3068 caches/day

2010 225 0.6164 caches/day

2011 47 0.1288 caches/day

2012 57 0.1557 caches/day

2013 35 0.1892 caches/day

Slow down and you may enjoy life and caching more!!! As stated before, caching is a game!!!

GeoCharmer81

My two cents...

Trackables are not THAT hot. When I retrieve them from another geocache than the one they are registered at, I wait a few days to see if someone logs them. If it is possible to track down the person that held the trackable before me, I send a friendly e-mail asking if they have forgotten to log it, if they need me to wait a little while, or if they might not know how to deal with it, and would prefer that I grab the trackable.

Yes, I do prefer logging trackables as fast as possible, but this is nothing that cannot wait a few days. Personally I try to drop off trackables as soon as my geocaching trip of the day is over. But sometimes I'm travelling, perhaps abroad, and cannot go online immediately. In such cases, I prioritize helping the trackable reach its goal, or placing my own trackable at an excotic place, higher than being able to log it within minutes or hours. However, if I know that my logging will be delayed, I do try to leave a note with the trackable, explaining the situation and when I expect to be able to log.

To alleviate all of this nonsense, simply don't pick up or drop off a trackable if you can't log it the same day!!!!

I have the geocaching app on my smartphone, so all my logging is done right there, at GZ. If I don't have my phone or I don't have a signal, I won't pick up a trackable. I've had a ton of trackables lost and misplaced, and a lot of it is due to people who don't log in a timely manner.

I've been into geocaching for almost 11 years and I have taken along trackables several times when I could not log them the same day and I typically log them many hours after having retrieved the trackables. In my area many cachers do not move any longer trackables and owners of trackables are glad if someone takes care of their trackables at all.

I'm a very reliable as trackables are regarded.

Please take into account that many geocachers do not have mobile internet. To log trackables in a timely manner does definitely not mean that one needs to log them at GZ.

If I realize that I took out a trackable by a cacher who has visited a cache a few days before me, I might write a polite e-mail and ask when he/she will be able to log.

If the visit happened the same day or one day before, I just wait and do not act at all.

I prefer if trackables have their proper history, that means that all visits in between should be logged properly and by those people who had the trackable in their hands.

What you did seems not appropriate at all to me.

Cezanne

oh, it makes sense... i've been both where you are Slapshot emotionally on this subject AND where bflentje is as many travel bug gangs take trips with me...veracity surrounds this dilemna, but no more so than the truth of compassion and understanding...

kinda like "walk in my waffle stomping hiking boots a while _ _ _"...

deep breaths fellas and play nice, :mellow: remember that these trackables are still on their adventures going from cache2cache because of you both and not lost somewhere in geo/muggle world as a few of my trackables are...

ya gotta love these forums-especially when Keystone moves you to the correct great place to vent !!

Edited by suchanana

Slapshot - it is unreasonable for you to assume everyone can log trackables immediately.

When I find a trackable that has not been logged into the cache I took it from, I wait a few days before I log the "Retrieve From Cache" on the trackable. If it's more than a week or so, I may drop an email to eh person who is holding it, to see what is up (they are vacation, they forgot about it, etc).

So, relax, and enjoy the game.

Sorry, but as you yourself so aptly demonstrate, this is not a big deal at all. The absolute worst case -- assuming you just can't wait -- is grab, visit, continue. Yawn.

Why "the same day"? Why not "right there at GZ"? If you don't log from the field, and someone walks up a minute after you've left and finds the trackable you dropped but haven't logged yet, would it be OK for them to call you a noob? Your one day limit is just as arbitrary as a one minutes limit would be.

But, really, the important lesson here is that stuff happens, so it's much, much more friendly and enjoyable for both you and the other person for you to assume there's a really, really good reason that the trackable wasn't logged. Sure, sometimes it's someone that doesn't know what they're doing or goofed up or maybe even someone that was moving TBs at random without logging them just to be mean. So what? Does it hurt you to assume the best and say something like, "It looks like FredFlinstone dropped this but hasn't logged the cache yet, and I had to do my own logging, so I grabbed it and had it visit the cache where I found it for him"? Why, oh why, would you want put in the log your insulting and erroneous conclusion that Fred didn't know what he was doing?

Be careful of pointing fingers as they also point back to you. Go ahead, take a look. Extend your index finger and look where all your other fingers are pointing. 3 of them point right back to you.

I think "bflentje" has a point. But then you're not too far off the mark either... especially about the 'logging the cache find but not the trackable' bit. Be that as it may... you're both right and you're both wrong in that you both lacked the civility to work this out without resorting to name calling, judgments and ego bashing. My question to both of you is why are you in such a hurry? And why can't you have the consideration to hurry it up a little more? Opposite sides of the same coin... no pun intended.

I'm not going to tell you what to do. But you may want to slow down a wee bit and let others catch up so you don't get so knotted up inside yourself. Just a thought...

When I find a trackable that has not been logged into the cache I took it from, I wait a few days before I log the "Retrieve From Cache" on the trackable. If it's more than a week or so, I may drop an email to eh person who is holding it, to see what is up (they are vacation, they forgot about it, etc).

I have to admit, I'm not quite as patient because I want to log my finds for the day, and if I need to have this TB visit the cache where I found it to keep its trip straight, I'll want to do it in my find log. Sure, I could do other things, but I just don't consider it that big of a deal to do the grab/visit procedure even when the drop log will only be delayed a couple days. Better I log that I have it right away than for me to start waiting and then forget to log it at all.

Of course, I certainly wouldn't accuse the other person of doing something wrong. In fact, sometimes I'm a little apologetic about not waiting.

To stand there and place your ability to "log instantly" doesn't hardly give you any right to demand that others do so, too.

This is a recreation of the masses. If you are so set in concrete that you feel others must do exactly as you do, you probably should re-think the "enjoyable" aspect of this venture.

IMO, it would have been nice for you to wait a bit rather than to Grab it and log something undue (Nice that you edited it out, also).

Now, I wouldn't say that you cannot Grab it and move it along, but sour comments are well, .... let's just say, unnecessary.

You've been around long enough to know that this stuff happens and that it happens with regularity.

Looks to me like you jumped off the diving board but forgot to notice that the pool had been emptied.

Actually, the problem here is 'Grabbing a trackable from another cacher without even the courtesy of attempting to make contact to discover their intentions or find out why they haven't dropped the trackable.'

Granted that this can be a common issue with n00bs not knowing how to log a TB, but it is the height of arrogance and disrespect to ASSUME that is the case.

Add to that the fact that you had the stones to post a snotty, rude comment to the TB page, and I'm beginning to think SLAPSH0T might possibly be a jerk. <_<

Just imagine if you had sent a nice message to the (then current) TB holder to ask how the trackable came to be in the cache you found it in, and to ask how they would like to proceed to resolve the situation.

This is down the same path as the cachers that demand that all FTFs get logged immediately too. I guess it's a part of our "instant gratification" society today.

There is no excuse for the tone used in your post OP. Try dusting the mantle with a feather rather than a shovel. I'm sure you'll get much better results.

It's much more common for a TB not to be in the cache it's listed as being in, than it is to be in a cache but not listed.

Therefore, finding a TB and assuming that it will never be logged into the cache it was found in is a dubious assumption. The logical thing for a finder is not to get jumpy and antsy if TB wasn't logged in. Chill! Maybe it will be logged in soon! I've waited as much as a day or two, and by then the logging caught up with the physical location. Ideal? No, of course not! It meant I couldn't place it elsewhere for a couple of days. Things happen - it's a game, not a crisis in the hospital emergency room! I chilled and played along with the situation. Everything was fine in the end, with no brouhaha in the forums.

I have the geocaching app on my smartphone, so all my logging is done right there, at GZ.

Yes, yes, indeed... the smartphone era. A blessing and a curse.

In this era of instant gratification I believe we need to temper the desire to get trackables logged instantly because it is not possible for everyone to do so and it is unreasonable to expect it of this game.

If you pick up a trackable and it is not yet logged into that cache then you need to allow a day or two for that to happen before "grabbing" it. This is not a new condition, it was like this in the "old days" too when there were far fewer cachers.

If I don't have my phone or I don't have a signal, I won't pick up a trackable.

There is no harm in picking up the trackable. The problem will be if you "grab" it before logging catches up. And it will be compounded if you drop it into a new cache too soon.

If you feel you have to drop it the same day you can leave a note with the trackable in a Ziploc as to what happened and that you will be logging it later when the previous handler drops it. More problems will likely come of this if the cache is in a busy area and that is why it would be better to hold on to it until logging catches up.

So then this guy logs both trackables back into the cache that I originally found them in, making their actual location inaccurate since I have already moved them on.

The problem is that you grabbed them and then moved them out of sequence.

He the proceeds to say in his logs that it'll be up to me to "fix" my logs. It's unbelievable to me that a cacher would intentionally make a trackable's location inaccurate just to spite me.

You are begin kind to him here, he was far more offensive than that. And he did create an unnecessary problem by grabbing them back after you placed them into the next cache. But there is a part of me that understands why he did it and I almost want to cheer him on.

You grabbed them before trying to contact him and that is a bit of an insult. At some point a grab would be warranted. If he had not responded to an email from you after several days (or why not a week?) and there was some pressing reason why you might need to drop them then a grab might be appropriate.

As to out-of-sequence logging I say, basically, what's the big hurry?

Out of the 5 years I've been caching, this is the first bad experience I've had.

We are in the smartphone era and out-of-sequence logging is one result. I expect it will be more common over the next five years.

If you feel you have to drop it the same day you can leave a note with the trackable in a Ziploc as to what happened and that you will be logging it later when the previous handler drops it.

I reject this logic because of the possibility of an arbitrarily long chain of waiting when the guy who picks it up after you has to wait for you because you're waiting for the first guy.

More problems will likely come of this if the cache is in a busy area and that is why it would be better to hold on to it until logging catches up.

I'm OK with you thinking this way, but I prefer to think that what's really important here is the TB, so if I find a good cache to put it in, that's more important than waiting for someone to file a drop log that I can represent just as well via a grab/visit.

You grabbed them before trying to contact him and that is a bit of an insult.

I'm really disturbed that someone would consider it an insult if I had a timing issue that made it easier for me to grab, visit, and possibly drop before he could log his original drop. The only problem my actions would cause is if the other guy wanted to log a bunch of other visits before the drop, and I think that's a rather minor price to pay. I certainly don't mean to be insulting. The game goes on; I don't think anyone should expect everyone else to wait for them to get home. Sure, you hope to log everything perfectly, but big deal if something else comes up that means you have to post a note instead of a drop.

Every one of you have brought up good points of discussion. A lot of you are missing one of the main points I was making though. This guy logged his cache find and sent me a crappy personal e-mail all BEFORE logging the travel bugs. So my point is this: He had the ability/technology/smart phone/whatever to log his find and subsequently send an e-mail to me, so why couldn't he log the trackables as well?

I think it's unreasonable to have to "check in" with other cachers to see if they are ready to log their trackables, this seems ridiculous to me. I stand by my opinion that if you aren't prepared to log a trackable within the same day you want to drop it, then just hang on to it until you can log properly and in a timely manner. Now there are two cachers whose trackables aren't logged properly simply because this guy wanted to spite me....again, ridiculous. I own a lot of trackables, and I treat other cacher's trackables as I would want my fellow cachers to treat my own, which is to log properly, accurately, and quickly. I guess I'm a dying breed of cacher who treats trackables and their movements pretty seriously. :sad:

Four fingers pointing now ... and a spare finger shaking at the j/a reply. No need to ever resort to temper tantrums ... it is still ... a GAME.

A shame that the late poster decided to punish the coin/TB owner by screwing up the logging intentionally. Shame on both of them. !!

There are a TON of reasons logging may be delayed. As an owner of ~200 caches I see all varieties of posts and logs. We've even been working with a local cacher who can use his smartphone to log a cache, but his is a STUPIDphone when it comes to logging a trackable. We think it's a matter of the APP's abilities, not a fault of the cacher. So ... his finds get logged right away, but trackables have to wait.

We travel a lot and do not use a smartphone at all. We have dumbphones that can dial out and receive calls. We find caches preloaded on our handheld GPS. The new 'instant gratification' world is graduating into serious impatience.

Take a chill pill ... we find a lot more fun in trying to cooperate with ALL cachers. Not all play by the same rules and Groundspeak makes NO demand on any member to 'immediately' log anything.

Happy caching !!! ... :grin:

If I am out caching for the day, I hate to take the time to stop and log my finds or do anything with trackables. I will do that when I get home. I have a cell phone plan with slow service, it would take so much time to log in the field, would rather log my finds and drop my trackables when I return home where I can do it accurately and in order and not waste time. If I get home too late, then the next morning. Ridiculous for someone to assume I should do it that day. Give me a day to log my trackables at the minimum. Had someone grab a trackable from my possession not even 3 hours after I put it in a cache. Had not even driven home yet. What is the rush? Put a watch on the trackable in question or let it wait on your desk a day or two, patience. Not everyone is warp speed.

This comes up all the time and is no reason to get your knickers in a bunch. Personally I log trackables immediately and dip them if found where they weren't logged to be. If the guy who previously had them takes them back and logs them into where he put them that is not my problem. If I still have it i grab it back if not I move on with my life.

That being said the comment about a noob not logging was extremely rude as was calling him out by name in the forums.

I will simply say that I completely disagree with the opinion of the OP on this. And I am no noob either. :anitongue:

It would never occur to me to be so rude and self-centered as to not give the cacher who dropped the trackable the chance to properly log it. Grabbing the trackable from the other cacher messes with the caching history of that cacher as well as the history of the trackable.

Learn some patience and wait a day or a few.

I will simply say that I completely disagree with the opinion of the OP on this. And I am no noob either. :anitongue:

It would never occur to me to be so rude and self-centered as to not give the cacher who dropped the trackable the chance to properly log it. Grabbing the trackable from the other cacher messes with the caching history of that cacher as well as the history of the trackable.

This is pretty much my take with the added proviso I would have based on the updated information from the OP dropped an email to the cacher to find out if they had overlooked logging the TB or there was some other issue that I could maybe help with so we got it all logged properly.

Anderw

This is pretty much my take with the added proviso I would have based on the updated information from the OP dropped an email to the cacher to find out if they had overlooked logging the TB or there was some other issue that I could maybe help with so we got it all logged properly.

Anderw

Yep, I agree. There have been a few times when I have contacted someone to check on their intentions. Always with good results and no drama.

So in other words you admit you are clueless in more than just how to log a traveler.

Cool. At least we all know.

edit then/than

Edited by BlueDeuce

Every one of you have brought up good points of discussion. A lot of you are missing one of the main points I was making though. This guy logged his cache find and sent me a crappy personal e-mail all BEFORE logging the travel bugs. So my point is this: He had the ability/technology/smart phone/whatever to log his find and subsequently send an e-mail to me, so why couldn't he log the trackables as well?

'The guy' apparently obviously logged the cache AFTER you unceremoniously GRABBED the trackable(s) from him.

Otherwise, he would have had nothing to say to you and would have dropped the trackable(s) in a normal fashion.

I think it's unreasonable to have to "check in" with other cachers to see if they are ready to log their trackables, this seems ridiculous to me. I stand by my opinion that if you aren't prepared to log a trackable within the same day you want to drop it, then just hang on to it until you can log properly and in a timely manner. Now there are two cachers whose trackables aren't logged properly simply because this guy wanted to spite me....again, ridiculous. I own a lot of trackables, and I treat other cacher's trackables as I would want my fellow cachers to treat my own, which is to log properly, accurately, and quickly. I guess I'm a dying breed of cacher who treats trackables and their movements pretty seriously. :sad:

While 'the other guy' didn't exactly do the right thing (he should have just let it go like I have done many times), I must say you ARE NOT a 'cacher who treats trackables and their movements pretty seriously', otherwise this whole episode would not have occurred.

There are far too many possible circumstances that make your view of logging trackables impractical.

Rest assured, though, if I should discover one of YOUR trackables in a cache while on vacation or when I do not have a cell signal I will leave it there to rot.

OTOH (if I do pick one up), perhaps I should keep it indefinitely since I may not be certain I can log it promptly enough to suit you. :anibad:

I dunno. OP posted a note calling him a noob, and then got a reply calling him a jackass. That was uncalled for, and what triggered the entire episode. Bflentje's forum history is to be overly sensitive and overrreact to minor occurrences, and that's exactly what happened here. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I dunno. OP posted a note calling him a noob, and then got a reply calling him a jackass. That was uncalled for, and what triggered the entire episode. Bflentje's forum history is to be overly sensitive and overrreact to minor occurrences, and that's exactly what happened here. :rolleyes:

Yet he has not weighed in here and I commend him for that. But then I tend to agree with his response, if not with the specific verbiage.

Four fingers pointing now ... and a spare finger shaking at the j/a reply. No need to ever resort to temper tantrums ... it is still ... a GAME.

A shame that the late poster decided to punish the coin/TB owner by screwing up the logging intentionally. Shame on both of them. !!

There are a TON of reasons logging may be delayed. As an owner of ~200 caches I see all varieties of posts and logs. We've even been working with a local cacher who can use his smartphone to log a cache, but his is a STUPIDphone when it comes to logging a trackable. We think it's a matter of the APP's abilities, not a fault of the cacher. So ... his finds get logged right away, but trackables have to wait.

We travel a lot and do not use a smartphone at all. We have dumbphones that can dial out and receive calls. We find caches preloaded on our handheld GPS. The new 'instant gratification' world is graduating into serious impatience.

Take a chill pill ... we find a lot more fun in trying to cooperate with ALL cachers. Not all play by the same rules and Groundspeak makes NO demand on any member to 'immediately' log anything.

Happy caching !!! ... :grin:

+1 :rolleyes:

Totally agree!

Edited by Ogima

My two cents...

Trackables are not THAT hot. When I retrieve them from another geocache than the one they are registered at, I wait a few days to see if someone logs them. If it is possible to track down the person that held the trackable before me, I send a friendly e-mail asking if they have forgotten to log it, if they need me to wait a little while, or if they might not know how to deal with it, and would prefer that I grab the trackable.

Yes, I do prefer logging trackables as fast as possible, but this is nothing that cannot wait a few days. Personally I try to drop off trackables as soon as my geocaching trip of the day is over. But sometimes I'm travelling, perhaps abroad, and cannot go online immediately. In such cases, I prioritize helping the trackable reach its goal, or placing my own trackable at an excotic place, higher than being able to log it within minutes or hours. However, if I know that my logging will be delayed, I do try to leave a note with the trackable, explaining the situation and when I expect to be able to log.

That's exactly how I deal with trackables as well.

When I know, I won't be logging the cache the same day, I drop the trackables with a note via mobile phone.

Abroad I put a post it note at the trackable: please don't grab, will be logged at XX date.

When I picked up some coins I log them after a few days, I hate having trackables grabbed out of my inventory and don't like doing this to others.

In this particular case I see only a confused und rightly put out coin owner, who got between two rightous cachers, who both made mistakes but can't admit to it. Sadly they both seem to have forgotten, what this "geocaching" is all about.

Well, at least for me.

It seems that my opinion of logging trackables quickly and accurately is in the minority, which is exactly why I have stopped purchasing trackables. I know there are still cachers out there who care about the enjoyment that owners of trackables get when they see their coins/TB's travel the world....hopefully one of those type of cachers pick up any one of my 98 trackables. I simply can't accept this lackadaisical attitude toward logging that seems to be so popular. Most coins cost upwards of $12 and more and I will continue to respect the owners of these coins/TB's by logging properly, accurately, and quickly. I'm not going to change anyone's mind here and vice versa. Just rest assured that if I find one of your trackables, it will be handled properly and with haste so that you can happily watch it's progress (I'll probably even take a photo of it going into the cache!).

Some of you have said that I am rude and that my "noob" comments were uncalled for. You're probably correct, and in hindsight I could've omitted that from my log. I love this little hobby/game of ours and my comments stem from that, not spite. Feel free to "check up" on me and view my profile (note the "o" in SLAPSH0T is actually a zero) and I think you'll be able to tell that I just want to preserve the integrity of our game. Happy caching!! :)

I think most of us are in agreement that TB's should be tracked/logged as quickly as possible. However, that's the key clause - as quickly as possible. :) What is possible for one person isn't possible for the next. For the first time in 5 years, you happened to run into one of the more rare cases where someone couldn't log the TB for a couple days. That will happen, unfortunately; and when it does, it's probably better to give the cacher the benefit of the doubt rather than popping one's top over it. ;)

I simply can't accept this lackadaisical attitude toward logging that seems to be so popular.

I do not believe that anybody here is suggesting a "lackadaisical" approach to logging. What suggestions I have read is that each cacher should be mindful that not all have the same capabilities regarding logging of trackables. If one has the capability of logging into a cache instantly that is fine and dandy, but not all cachers do have that ability. Your "strongly worded suggestion" that if one doesn't have that capability, they shouldn't "pick it up and/or place it into a cache" is a bit of self-centered thinking, IMO.

Suggestions in abundance seem to say that waiting just a bit would probably have been the thing to do. I (we) have had to do this many times and probably will have to again. We have even emailed other cachers inquiring as to whether they "forgot" to log the trackable. It most always works out amicably.

The base problem in this manner were comments made (apparently -- I did not get to read them) in a log, then the email (which probably was better off not being posted here as it was). If you feel you have received an improper email, your cause of action is with Groundspeak, not here in the forums.

That said... it is apparent that you have thought a bit of this incident, and that is a good thing, really. Would you do things differently? Probably. Do you have to follow those suggestions given? No, you don't. But you asked, and you received.

I think it is simply time to move along. Let's just get back to enjoying caching, again.

It seems that my opinion of logging trackables quickly and accurately is in the minority..

That is perhaps not the best take away.

Every poster values quick and accurate logs, the dissenting opinion is with the methods choosen to express and impliment it.

From the OP (and even now) it clearly seems "quick" is valued much more than "accurate"... otherwise with some patience ... this thread would not have started ...

I am SO glad you are willing to get each one of us a smartphone (and pay the bill) so that we can do things as you want them to be. :)

Here are my two Euro-Cents:

SLAPSHOT made the first logging mistake: He logged a "retrived it" from a cache that he didn't retrieve it at.

Then he made the second mistake: He only "took" it to the cache where he found it.

Then, not a third mistake, but very unwise, was to write this in his log: "so it obviously hasn't been properly logged (why can't cachers get this process right??)" - the first part an unproven assumtion, the remark inadequate, when you plan to do it wrong yourself and go public in a forum.

The right way would have been (if I understand procedures correctly - I might be wrong as well):

First: decide, whether you can wait one more day or two. If yes, jump forward to 5), if not:

1) Log "grabbed somewhere else" (because that's the truth)

2) Drop it into the cache where you found it (that's what someone else did, but necessary for the next step)

3) Log retrieve from where you actually found it.

4) Delete logs 2), put the TB on your watchlist to delete 1) after the missing logs are done.

What's left in the listing is your part of reality that you know of.

Then continue:

5) Check the cache where the trackable was seen last. Read a log like "I rescued a TB from this cache" that bflentje even left there in this case.

6) If you find a log like the one in 5), contact the owner and ask nicely to log, maybe explain how to do so. If you performed steps 1) to 4) you should explain what to do next (see below).

All this probably could have been done at GZ (I don't use the app, so I don't know for sure, but if you're online, you can probably use a browser and use gc.com there).

If somebody logs later, the procedures for this person would be

1) grab it

2) drop it where you found it

3) retrieve it from there

4) drop it where you left it

5) grab it

6) drop it where it should be now

7) delete logs 1) 2) 5) 6)

(A lot to do, but necessary if you log late...)

If everybody uses correct dates and RL-things didn't happen to happen at the same day, the cache listing would look right and mileage is calculated correctly.

It should even work that way if there are several logs missing to be added later this way.

my conclusion: If you're not willing to perform those procedures (or don't know them), because someone couldn't log the same day, then DON'T grab a trackable.

Ok, that last sentence is a little bit sarcastic, because this is what bflentje did to start all this:

Don't drop a trackable if you can't log it the same day. Because someone else might retrieve it - and that's where the confusion starts, like SLAPSH0T experienced it. It may even lead to a forum thread like this... Poor him! (no irony intended)

Note: To grab a trackable and not log it the same day online is ok, if you write about your retrieve in the local logbook or (if possible) in the online log of the cache. Even if the trackable is still listed there, people are able to find the reason why it's not there anymore (if they care to read the last entries in the paper logbook/online log) - and everyone knows where it is.

You still may not take a trackable if you already know that you're not going to log it within a week...

Last thing to say: what bflentje logged after he read the logs and got upset was not ok either (see above).

Now both have to figure out a way how to fix the TB owners' online log history. Good luck!

Add me to the list of people who think a little more patience is in order. I tend to take road trips of 5-15 days and for many of those days we are out of coverage altogether. It's these trips that allow us to pick up TBs and move them a good distance but it also means that we often don't get to log them for up to a week or more.

Sometimes a simple email to the last holder of the traveler (and waiting for a response) clears things up.

It seems that my opinion of logging trackables quickly and accurately is in the minority, which is exactly why I have stopped purchasing trackables. I know there are still cachers out there who care about the enjoyment that owners of trackables get when they see their coins/TB's travel the world....hopefully one of those type of cachers pick up any one of my 98 trackables. I simply can't accept this lackadaisical attitude toward logging that seems to be so popular. Most coins cost upwards of $12 and more and I will continue to respect the owners of these coins/TB's by logging properly, accurately, and quickly. I'm not going to change anyone's mind here and vice versa. Just rest assured that if I find one of your trackables, it will be handled properly and with haste so that you can happily watch it's progress (I'll probably even take a photo of it going into the cache!).

Some of you have said that I am rude and that my "noob" comments were uncalled for. You're probably correct, and in hindsight I could've omitted that from my log. I love this little hobby/game of ours and my comments stem from that, not spite. Feel free to "check up" on me and view my profile (note the "o" in SLAPSH0T is actually a zero) and I think you'll be able to tell that I just want to preserve the integrity of our game. Happy caching!! :)

Two issues here.

I have always logged my TB activity as responsibly and promptly as possible. That may mean a delay of several days. All of us managed to get around this issue just fine in the years before the smartphone was invented. Fact is, I don't own a smartphone and I probably never will. If I am on a camping trip, 500 miles from home and my PC, I'm not going to simply not participate in a part of the game that I enjoy for the simple fact that some people's smartphones has given them a short attention span. Please see my signature because it is entirely true. This is not a smartphone game and it is completely unfair for you or anyone else to impose your smartphone based personal standards upon the rest of us.

Secondly, the "noob" issue. Assuming that it actually was a new player involved, you took a perfect opportunity to be helpful and instructive and simply dismissed it with nonconstructive criticism. If you truly wanted to preserve the integrity of the game, you would jump at such opportunities instead of dismissing then out of impatiences.

Hey SLAPSHOT. I don't want to get on your case or anyone else. Sometimes trackables are dropped off in areas that are vacation hotspots and people don't have a chance to immediately log them in. We travel to Orlando regularly and visit caches with a lot of other visitors. We commonly find coins and TB not logged in to caches. We will post a note on the trackable page saying we picked it up and will wait on the previous cacher to place it in the cache and then place it on our watchlist. If there is no activity after 1 week (plenty of time to get home and log the trackable) we will try to contact the last person that has the trackable in their inventory. If no response we will then grab it. This gives the previous cacher time to correctly log the item and give it the correct miles. It will also let the trackable ownere know that is in our possession. We also always try to log a note when trackables listed in caches are not present.

Seekerfamily

Secondly, the "noob" issue. Assuming that it actually was a new player involved, you took a perfect opportunity to be helpful and instructive and simply dismissed it with nonconstructive criticism. If you truly wanted to preserve the integrity of the game, you would jump at such opportunities instead of dismissing then out of impatiences.

That's just a crazy idea.

Helping a n00b* learn the ropes so they don't make the same mistake again?

I wish I had thought of that.

*I don't think it was a n00b in the described incident.

I merged two duplicate threads and removed the posts made redundant or irrelevant as a result of the merge.

Thank you to the one good forum citizen who reported the duplicate thread's presence.

Wrist slap to the OP for not knowing proper forum etiquette. Don't start duplicate threads in multiple forum sections.

Edited by Keystone

The OP has shown him/herself to be an extremely rude geocacher. Common courtesy is to wait at least a week, and then e-mail the last holder enquiring. But OP seems to lack courtesy. The modern world suffers from "Entitlement". "I am entitled! How dare you get in my way!" I would(and have) done the same thing as bflentje. I put the TB in that cache, and I shall log it into that cache! It is up to the OP to correct the trail that s/he fouled up. And try to learn common sense and courtesy.

The OP has shown him/herself to be an extremely rude geocacher. Common courtesy is to wait at least a week, and then e-mail the last holder enquiring. But OP seems to lack courtesy. The modern world suffers from "Entitlement". "I am entitled! How dare you get in my way!" I would(and have) done the same thing as bflentje. I put the TB in that cache, and I shall log it into that cache! It is up to the OP to correct the trail that s/he fouled up. And try to learn common sense and courtesy.

For cryin' out loud. Another old geezer chiming in about courtesy and rudeness. Oh, wait...I agree with you! :laughing:

Since Slapshot decided to air the dirty laundry by making this a public issue, I'll list the facts now that I am back from my 4600 mile, 12 day, 14 state road cruise, with very limited Internet access.

Here are the facts..

- Stopped at the TB hotel in question and swapped items while en route to my destination, from Minnesota to the bottom of Florida.

- I don't have the ability to log caches found or log trackables until I get to my destination or at the very least, while at lodging so that notes and pictures can be compiled.

- 48 hours had NOT YET lapsed before Slapshot grabbed the trackable right out of my inventory.

- Slapshot's Grabbed It note was rude and condescending and outright obnoxious (has he changed it? Yes, he did).

- I got blasted about how I was ruining the game for every geocacher out there because I wasn't capable of logging trackables on the road in real-time.

- I got blasted again saying that if I were capable of responding to email while on the road, then I should have the capability to log the trackables. I do have a smartphone but what does that mean when you're in the middle of rural Florida (or any state for that matter). 3G, 4G? Depends on the provider, the weather, the phone, and other variables. Who here thinks it's just as easy to compile and log geocaching data while at a stop light than it is to reply to an email?

- Yes, I DID re-grab the trackables and log them accordingly, to make sure visits were properly reflected. I also mentioned in my log that the TB owner should go in and repair the damage.

- Slapshot then responded about how I screwed up the history of the trackables and that I have ruined the game even more.. apparently even God now dislikes the game because of my actions. Shall I point out that the "Grab From Somewhere Else" was the original sin?

I believe I had the trackables in my inventory, which means Slapshot could have easily contacted me directly. If I hadn't, LESS THAN 48 hours had lapsed since the drop.

In any event, while I am far from living the perfect life, it looks like I do follow the same standard as set by the majority. :blink: :blink:

Edited by bflentje

It isn't always possible to log that same day. It is possible to wait and allow someone the time to log properly. It's also the polite thing to do. Posting rudely that it's "some noobs fault" will not make you anyone's best friend. Give people some time. Just because computers make things faster doesn't mean that people are faster. Computers just make everyone want it NOW! Be patient, and try to give someone some time to at least get back home to log.

Did you know that there are even some people who cache without a GPS, let alone a smart phone?

If nothing is logged within a week, then go ahead and log.