Can I edit a log to mark a cache as favorite?

Team Dredd

I am new to these topics and pretty darn new to geo-caching. Me and my wife are having a blast caching and plan on putting some caches out soon (as soon as some ordered supplies and TB's come in). When we were just starting out we found a cache that I want to mark as a favorite; I didn't do it when we found it because I was so new to caching. My question is - is there a way to mark the cache as a favorite by editing the log I posted when we found it? I can post another found it log but would rather go back and correct my original oversight. Thanks.

I am new to these topics and pretty darn new to geo-caching. Me and my wife are having a blast caching and plan on putting some caches out soon (as soon as some ordered supplies and TB's come in). When we were just starting out we found a cache that I want to mark as a favorite; I didn't do it when we found it because I was so new to caching. My question is - is there a way to mark the cache as a favorite by editing the log I posted when we found it? I can post another found it log but would rather go back and correct my original oversight. Thanks.

Adding favorites is a Premium Member feature. If you were a PM, all you would need to do is bring up the cache listing. On the top right side, you would see a box with a link that says, "Add to Favorites".

As has already been explained, "Favorites" are a Premium Member feature.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

If you are a PM, you will see the way that a favorite point is added to a cache that you've logged as found. It's a separate item on the cache page and not "awarded" in your log.

On another note, though, posting a "found it" log more than once for the same GC code puts a kink in your statistics. There are other types of logs, and for a situation where you have already posted a "found it", the type of log you should consider is the "write note" log. This type will not increase your "finds" numbers.

Help Center → Geocaching → Beginner's Basics

1.3. Cache Log Types and Icons

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

B.

I've had to do this a couple of times, by deleting my original log and relogging it to allow the adding of a FP. I've also sent the CO a message explaining the reason for the log deletion and new log.

If you chose to do this make sure the date of your new log is the same as the one you've deleted.

I've had to do this a couple of times, by deleting my original log and relogging it to allow the adding of a FP. I've also sent the CO a message explaining the reason for the log deletion and new log.

If you chose to do this make sure the date of your new log is the same as the one you've deleted.

I'm confused as to why you would need to delete a "found it" log and re-log it.

When we first became PM, the favorite points were calculated retroactively. I awarded favorite points to caches that we had found prior to becoming PM.

There's no need to re-log or anything, once you become PM, in order to have favorite points to award.

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits

1.6. Favorites

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the caches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes - for first-time subscriptions! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the cache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones. However, if your subscription lapses for any reason, you will not be granted Favorite Points until you renew your Premium Membership. At which time the Favorite Points will start accruing again. You are only prorated Favorite Points the first time you subscribe.

Who can earn Favorite Points?

Only Premium Members earn Favorite Points. They get one point just for being a Premium Member, then further points by logging geocaching finds, at the rate of 1 Favorite Point per 10 finds.

B.

Just go to the cache that you have previously found and want to add a favorite to and click the link. There is no reason to confuse the issue by deleting logs and re-logging.

530144b9-8129-45da-a0a6-97fa1d09141d.jpg?rnd=0.5744917

3 hours ago, TheBosn said:

How can we do this in 2019? None of these methods seems to be available anymore. Thanks!

On the cache page, to the right of the D/T and size, is a drop-down box that has the heart and Favorites on it.

- Clicking on that drop down, the first option is "Add Favorite".  Clicking on that adds your Favorite Point to the cache.

I just tried it out and it works...

14 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

On the cache page, to the right of the D/T and size, is a drop-down box that has the heart and Favorites on it.

- Clicking on that drop down, the first option is "Add Favorite".  Clicking on that adds your Favorite Point to the cache.

I just tried it out and it works...

I found the "Add Favorite" option is missing. It used to be there as I have used it before as a way to add a fav.

1 minute ago, colleda said:

I found the "Add Favorite" option is missing. It used to be there as I have used it before as a way to add a fav.

Ignore that. I randomly chose a find I had already added a favorite to. Doh. All good. Having a seniores moment here. Old timers strikes again.

• Funny 1
15 minutes ago, platoaddict said:

I know some cachers will post a Write Note to a cache that was previously found to alert the CO that they are now adding a favorite point. 

I generally do that if I've mentioned in my find log that I'll be awarding an FP when I next have one available, particularly if a fair bit of time has elapsed since my find (either I'm too selective in my caching or we have an abundance of good ones here as I always seem to be out of FPs to award).

Edited by barefootjeff

I just realized that if I click the number after "Add Favorite" (remaining fp's) then I'm just directed to the favorites list

without the fp being added. Apparently, you have to click the text to succeed.

Also, I notice that when I open my old log for editing, the "add to your favorites" box is not there anymore. I'm pretty sure it

used to be there.

2 hours ago, papu66 said:

Also, I notice that when I open my old log for editing, the "add to your favorites" box is not there anymore. I'm pretty sure it

used to be there. 

The edit log form is so old that it is not possible. The favorite heart icon appeared with the new logging page. It has never been part of the old logging page.

Website-only updates: We are introducing a new logging page with Drafts on Geocaching.com. The existing logging page is unable to support finishing a draft with photos and favorite points.

4 hours ago, arisoft said:

The edit log form is so old that it is not possible. The favorite heart icon appeared with the new logging page. It has never been part of the old logging page.

Must be a false memory then. It took me awhile to learn how to add a favorite afterwards and could have sworn there were two ways to do it. 

TBH, I never grasped the difference  between "Post a New Log" and "Editing a Log Entry" other than that the latter does not send a notification. The appearance is exactly the same except for the missing favorite box, so that may explain my confusion. I'm still using the old version, why change.

2 hours ago, papu66 said:

TBH, I never grasped the difference  between "Post a New Log" and "Editing a Log Entry" other than that the latter does not send a notification. The appearance is exactly the same except for the missing favorite box, so that may explain my confusion. I'm still using the old version, why change.

Here you can compare how they differs on my screen. First the new log form with favorite icon and then the old log edit form.

new.PNG.9d1262c053a9b83cb1ff2da43f0242a1.PNGedit.thumb.PNG.444644a89f8f35597d1d3f3a74e5bf4a.PNG

8 hours ago, arisoft said:

The edit log form is so old that it is not possible. The favorite heart icon appeared with the new logging page.

I think papu66 is right that the edit form used to allow FPs to be added in the early days, since I seem to remember the same thing, but it's been quite a while since that option went away.

21 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I think papu66 is right that the edit form used to allow FPs to be added in the early days, since I seem to remember the same thing, but it's been quite a while since that option went away.

If there was an option box to add favorite in the old log entry page, then the same feature may have been in the log edit page because basically they were the same form.

Before the current heart icon there was a certificate icon for favorites. I didn't remember this. When the icon changed, did the old feature disappear?

I don't remember if adding a favorite used to be possible via the Log Edit page.  I usually add favorites directly from the cache page if I forgot to add the FP when submitting the log.  It does seem odd that the presence of the Favorites option is on the "post" page, but not on the "edit" page (see image), when the rest of the page is pretty much the same.

image.png.4f1b4a1acac23deeedd021306a22b771.png

If the add favorite function was there a long time ago, I wouldn't know about it. I've been PM only a couple of years.

Now that I think of it, if there was the same tick box, then you should also be able to remove your FP by using the log edit.

This could be the reason it is not there even though the form is otherwise the same.

By the way I find it weird that if I open "Manage Favorites" on the right hand side of my page, I get a list where I can remove

caches from the favorites list (and this presumably also removes one point from the cache page) but not add them in a simple way.

Therein is a further link "View your Found Caches to Award Favorites" but this only opens a list where you can only open the

cache page and add the favorite there one by one. There is also "visit log" link at the end of every line, but as we already know you

can't add FP via this route.

It would be handy if you could just mark the caches you want to award and press submit.

Edited by papu66