How many *active* geocachers worldwide?

The home page says there are over 5 million geocachers worldwide.

I find it hard to believe these are all active cachers. I haven't even cached that much and according to www.cacherstats.com, I am # 34,838 in the world. :unsure:

I suspect many signed up and never even found 1 cache.

I would be *very* curious to see how may of these 5 million are *active* cachers. For example, they post at least one log/year. Actually, I'd also be interested to see how many people log on at least once/month. :D

Anybody know?

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Pricked my curiosity too. BTW, I know it was rather arbitrary, but I was think along similar lines: that "active" (for purposes of such a statistic) might be defined as folks who have found a cache within the last 12 months. Yes, there are probably thousands of definitions of Active. But for purposes of what you're talking about, a simple definition like "found a cache within the last 12 months" would suffice. At least for my curiousity.

I didn't get you an answer. But I hope I helped in clarifying the qualifications for an answer. Now we just need a wizard that can get the information...

Its all for marketing reason. Yes GS is lying about it.

That conclusion is based on what evidence? The statement does not say active geocachers, it just says geocachers. I am sure Groundspeak knows how many people have ever signed up for an account. Five million accounts may have been created since the dawn of Groundspeak. As for sock puppets, technically they are not allowed so if GS wants to assume there is no such thing for the purposes of accounting, well that's up to them.

As for "active" geocachers, all I know is that there are too many. The excess are using cellphones to place micros and log caches with TFTC!

Well, apparently there are ~2 million subscribers to the weekly newsletter. Given some active cachers don't subscribe and there are probably inactive accounts that are subscribed, maybe ~2 million is in the ballpark...

Right - some of us have never heard of the weekly newsletter! :huh:

Pricked my curiosity too. BTW, I know it was rather arbitrary, but I was think along similar lines: that "active" (for purposes of such a statistic) might be defined as folks who have found a cache within the last 12 months. Yes, there are probably thousands of definitions of Active. But for purposes of what you're talking about, a simple definition like "found a cache within the last 12 months" would suffice. At least for my curiousity.

I didn't get you an answer. But I hope I helped in clarifying the qualifications for an answer. Now we just need a wizard that can get the information...

A wizard or a spy? :P This type of information is something everyone is curious about. Groundspeak knows we're curious. But this "inside information" is never revealed. Nor is it ever revealed why it is never revealed.

That conclusion is based on what evidence? The statement does not say active geocachers, it just says geocachers. I am sure Groundspeak knows how many people have ever signed up for an account. Five million accounts may have been created since the dawn of Groundspeak. As for sock puppets, technically they are not allowed so if GS wants to assume there is no such thing for the purposes of accounting, well that's up to them.

As for "active" geocachers, all I know is that there are too many. The excess are using cellphones to place micros and log caches with TFTC!

It's against the FORUM guidelines to use a sock puppet to hide your normal identity. There is no guideline that says that you can't use more than one account for the purpose of geocaching.

Also, sometimes common sense trumps evidence. If I want you to pay me to put your ad on my website, I'm going to tell you that there are potentially 5,000,000 that might see it. If I'm trying to get you to view my website and to use it to go find a geocache and potentially become a paying member, I'm going to tell you that 5,000,000 of your friends are already doing it. Of course it's marketing.

OK, why don't we just guess and wait for someone who actually knows to log on....then whoever guessed closest gets a FREE chocolate chip cookie (I will bake it).

I guess 300,000.

This is the # of cachers who have logged at least 1 FIND or DNF in the last year.

....next!

The only way to get an accurate count is to take attendance. Let me start.

"HERE!"

I post a thread, go have a nap and wake up thinking there will be some actual numbers and this is what I get. Nice try. :laughing:

There is a post buried in the forum from some years back where Jeremy tells us how many out of the total have found more than a few caches. Those numbers give a clue as to the ratio of how many get their feet wet yet never take fully take the plunge. While it would not take into account how many were active and then quit forever, it might be interesting to go over those numbers again. Perhaps one of the forum search wizards can find it?

OK, why don't we just guess and wait for someone who actually knows to log on....then whoever guessed closest gets a FREE chocolate chip cookie (I will bake it).

I guess 300,000.

This is the # of cachers who have logged at least 1 FIND or DNF in the last year.

....next!

If, anecdotally, for every one cockroach you see there are 1000 more you can't, perhaps we could apply that to forum posters (that you see, vs geocachers you can't)? ;)

Also, sometimes common sense trumps evidence. If I want you to pay me to put your ad on my website, I'm going to tell you that there are potentially 5,000,000 that might see it. If I'm trying to get you to view my website and to use it to go find a geocache and potentially become a paying member, I'm going to tell you that 5,000,000 of your friends are already doing it. Of course it's marketing.

AMEN!

That what I was trying to get at.

It doesn't answer the question but cacherstats says there 230000 cachers who have found 200 or more caches

http://www.cacherstats.com/Rank230251-230500.html

No. There are 230,000 geocaching.com accounts that have found 200 or more caches.

There are cachers that don't log online.

There are cachers that log as a family, and only use one account.

My dog has an account, and has found several caches (but not 200). If she had found 200, she would be on that list.

Count(Accounts) ≠ Count(Cachers)

It doesn't answer the question but cacherstats says there 230000 cachers who have found 200 or more caches

230,000 in the whole world, and tens of thousands of THEM are inactive. 200 finds to me, is the sign of an active, or once active cacher. But you know, we can count my wife, who hates Geocaching, and has been along on about 20 of my 2,550 finds. Or we can count my now 19 yr. old daughter, who went to about 5 caches from about 8-10 years old. We can get 'er up to 5,000,000 no problem. :ph34r:

Here is a graph from a similar thread from 6 months ago:

As promised, here you go:

CachingGrowth2012-12-17.png

This is a semi-log plot. Even though it looks like it is leveling off in that view, it is not. Here is a linear plot of the same data for users:

UsersGrowth2012-12-17.png

As you can see there have been about a million new users registered in the last year.

I guess 300,000.

This is the # of cachers ACCOUNTS who have logged at least 1 FIND or DNF in the last year.

....next!

Even with that restriction, we will never know how many CACHERS that number represents.

How many families of eight are under one account? :unsure:

Groundspeak doesn't know, and I'd say it is an unkowable factor.

My wild-donkey guess is that the raw number of created accounts probably compensates fairly well for the multiple cachers under one account issue, and indeed there are 'about' '5 million geocachers worldwide' that have gone Geocaching in the last year.

Our family only his this ONE account and frequently there are 4 of us logging caches under my name.

Do my children not count as active? Are they geocachers?

Perhaps they are just fancy swag I bring along in case I find something work trading them for...

Shaun

I guess 300,000.

This is the # of cachers ACCOUNTS who have logged at least 1 FIND or DNF in the last year.

....next!

Even with that restriction, we will never know how many CACHERS that number represents.

My wild-donkey guess is that the raw number of created accounts probably compensates fairly well for the multiple cachers under one account issue, and indeed there are 'about' '5 million geocachers worldwide' that have gone Geocaching in the last year.

Being involved in the organisation of a mega event, I can say that from our admittedly small sample of the geocaching population, I can tell you that number of people in a "team" under one caching name seems to average out at about 1.75 people per account. It doesn't mean they are all cachers, and also it might not be that all the cachers usually caching under each account are attending our event, but I can say that that average has been consistent throughout our registration process. Extreme extrapolation is prone to large margins of error, but you could certainly conclude that if you're happy with the order of magnitude of the number of accounts, 1.75x will give you a ballpark for the number of individuals.

I guess 300,000.

....next!

How many families of eight are there in this day and age in the U.S.? I mean yeah, you could have like The Brady Bunch all logging caches under Mike's account. :lol:

I agree there is no way of knowing, but I feel it's GROSSLY exaggerated. Maybe 5,000,000 world-wide have HEARD of Geocaching. By the way, even if correct, 5,000,000 would represent .07% of the world's population. :huh:

I guess 300,000.

....next!

How many families of eight are there in this day and age in the U.S.? I mean yeah, you could have like The Brady Bunch all logging caches under Mike's account. :lol:

I agree there is no way of knowing, but I feel it's GROSSLY exaggerated. Maybe 5,000,000 world-wide have HEARD of Geocaching. By the way, even if correct, 5,000,000 would represent .07% of the world's population. :huh:

Well, yeah...a family of eight WAS an exaggeration...but to make the point that one account may represent an unknown number of actual 'cachers'. Even Ms.I represents a family of four!

Presumably the number quoted from Groundspeak in the OP is the number of accounts that have been created.

While there are probably plenty of accounts with ZERO finds, and more than enough sock accounts, I would be somewhat surprised if they amounted to even close to 10% of the total.

Groundspeak may or may not have a more detailed breakdown of the numbers, but it is not in their best interest to reveal those details.

I guess 300,000.

....next!

Well, yeah...a family of eight WAS an exaggeration...but to make the point that one account may represent an unknown number of actual 'cachers'. Even Ms.I represents a family of four!

Presumably the number quoted from Groundspeak in the OP is the number of accounts that have been created.

While there are probably plenty of accounts with ZERO finds, and more than enough sock accounts, I would be somewhat surprised if they amounted to even close to 10% of the total.

Groundspeak may or may not have a more detailed breakdown of the numbers, but it is not in their best interest to reveal those details.

And then the Bradford family, of Sacramento, California, was a family of 9, and 10 after Abby came along. OK, enough 30 year old TV show references. :ph34r:

They may or may not have sophisticated demographic inerpolations to tell them there are 5,000,000 Geocachers. I personally vote for may not. Although, you are correct, they will never reveal how they came up with that number.

No. There are 230,000 geocaching.com accounts that have found 200 or more caches.

There are cachers that don't log online.

There are cachers that log as a family, and only use one account.

My dog has an account, and has found several caches (but not 200). If she had found 200, she would be on that list.

Count(Accounts) ≠ Count(Cachers)

Gee I never would have thought of that., even though the person who got us into caching has never logged online, and we are 2 of us using our account (MA & PA). In my mind if the question was asked, the person was likely looking for accounts, because there would be no way of knowing the number of family members, and dogs.

there would be no way of knowing the number of family members, and dogs.

Not if you solely rely on the already existing data on geocaching.com.

But if you *really* want to know how many active geocachers are in the USA, you could do it by getting your own data. Like doing phone interviews on a random sample of US citizens.

how do www.cacherstats.com, figure out someone is # 34,838 in the world.

I guess the info is actually avail some how ?

it could be very interesing to know how many:

Total users signed in = 5 mill

Newer found one = ??

Just tried it = ?? found 1-10

liked it = ?? found 10-100

adicted = ?? found 100-1000

crasy about it = ?? found 1000-over

Activity, how many users:

found at least one, last 365 days =

found at least one, last 30 days =

found at least one, last 2 days =

Edited by OZ2CPU

I say roughly 800,000 active accounts (and at least 776,726).

That is based on a definition of active account = at least one log in 2013.

Project GC has some data which helps.

Looking at number of active accounts:

In the United States:

Active cachers from United States 2013 2012 Difference

Last week 25221 40766 -15545 -38%

Last month 99327 93861 5466 +6%

Since 1st of January 241045 238653 2392 +1%

Not so easy to read when I paste it; but it is saying that 241,045 caching accounts based in the US logged at least one cache since Jan 1. And around 100,000 in the past month.

This data is based on where the cacher is from.. so it counts finds of a US cacher in another country, but not a foreign cacher in US. There is also a table for cachers in the US - this includes foreign cachers in the US but not US cachers abroad. The numbers aren't that much different.

In the UK where I live - 54,442 accounts have logged a cache this year. So we are around 300,000 with just US and UK. Germany has just over 200,000. So that is half a million so far. Czech Republic has 42,218. Canada 35,546.

I don't see a way to query all countries at once. But what I did is I queried on the countries with significant caching activity (based on my knowledge and some random checks). I don't think I've missed any big ones but I may have missed 1 or 2. Most of the countries not listed here will have < 1000; most < 100.

Again, this is based on where the cacher's account says they are from. There are some countries with > 1000 cachers making finds in the country (e.g. Thailand), but most are foreign visitors (counted against their home country).

US 241,045

Germany 200,657

UK 54,442

Czech Republic 42,218

Canada 35,546

Netherlands 26,068

Sweden 22,611

Portugal 17,786

Australia 17,028

France 16,353

Austria 15,493

Finland 13,747

Switzerland 11,903

Belgium 10,134

Spain 8,932

Norway 8,551

Denmark 8,535

Slovakia 4,679

New Zealand 4,659

Poland 2,710

South Africa 2,601

Italy 2,058

Ireland 1,817

Luxembourg 1,773

Japan 1,480

Hungary 1,373

Slovenia 877

Puerto Rico 375

Romania 335

Greece 327

Singapore 259

Iceland 181

Russia 102

Qatar 71

Total 776,726

Edited by redsox_mark

Being involved in the organisation of a mega event, I can say that from our admittedly small sample of the geocaching population, I can tell you that number of people in a "team" under one caching name seems to average out at about 1.75 people per account. It doesn't mean they are all cachers, and also it might not be that all the cachers usually caching under each account are attending our event, but I can say that that average has been consistent throughout our registration process. Extreme extrapolation is prone to large margins of error, but you could certainly conclude that if you're happy with the order of magnitude of the number of accounts, 1.75x will give you a ballpark for the number of individuals.

And to convert to individuals, this seems reasonable data. 1.75 times 800,000 = around 1.4 million.

you get around 320,000 active in the past month. So based on the monthly definition, Mrs Incredible was pretty accurate!

I win, I win! Time to go bake myself that cookie! :lol:

Thank you, thank you redsox mark for all the numbers. You rock!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Go Bake a cookie if you like, but Scrabblers back in post# 17 raised you to 300,001 and is that much closer to the number you agree is closer (320,000) :rolleyes:

Anyway I figure that other factors need to be counted in... other listing sites with attention to non multiple memberships, and those that hunt old school without any listings for starters, and those friends that tag along on many caching trips just for interest, but not as cachers per se, even though they often find them.

As for GC math, well they probably use the same firm that counts the numbers of McC burgers served :laughing:

Doug 7rxc

you get around 320,000 active in the past month. So based on the monthly definition, Mrs Incredible was pretty accurate!

I win, I win! Time to go bake myself that cookie! :lol:

Thank you, thank you redsox mark for all the numbers. You rock!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That website rocks! And it gets increasingly better every day, as they add new stuff. Make a donation, the bandwidth costs have to be astronomical. Yes, I did make one. And yes, they're fully authorized to use the highly guarded Geocaching.com API. :)

That website rocks! And it gets increasingly better every day, as they add new stuff. Make a donation, the bandwidth costs have to be astronomical. Yes, I did make one. And yes, they're fully authorized to use the highly guarded Geocaching.com API. :)

Yes I agree; it is a great site.

The only way to get an accurate count is to take attendance. Let me start.

"HERE!"

I post a thread, go have a nap and wake up thinking there will be some actual numbers and this is what I get. Nice try. :laughing:

shucks, y'all don't know how to figger it out... 'ceptin cheech_gang, as is his wont, since he's from NW Ohio...

that alone should tell you that in the Year-of-the-Tick-2013, he's well versed in the math-eee-mat-ticks of geocaching numbers running...

c'mon over to the greatest of GeoBashes - the MidWest GeoBash, opening July 25-28, 2013 - here, at Area 51, you will learn the necessary coordinates for the usual amount of active geocachers pursuing the best of proper proportions of libations concoctions multiplied by the number of sock puppets in attendance at the Thursday eve Tin Foil Hat display and subtracted by the number of those unable to get the whole weekend off and must be content with day trippin'...

to this number, add the average number of trackables lurking about the travelbug barn, squared and divided into the four cardinal directions...

add 6,754 points for every volunteeer reviewer in attendance, 4,957 for Signal the Mascot, 35,000 for Miss Jenn and each other lackey, 250,000 for Jeremy

and 79,869 for spotting Daisy Dakota, my caching vehicle...

no matter how you add it - we all win... geocaching ROCKS and is very seldom dull...Life is still an adventure...

to this number, add the average number of trackables lurking about the travelbug barn, squared and divided into the four cardinal directions...

add 6,754 points for every volunteeer reviewer in attendance, 4,957 for Signal the Mascot, 35,000 for Miss Jenn and each other lackey, 250,000 for Jeremy

and 79,869 for spotting Daisy Dakota, my caching vehicle...

no matter how you add it - we all win... geocaching ROCKS and is very seldom dull...Life is still an adventure...

Can you pay for my flight? :P

http://project-gc.com/ this has active caher stats

Yeah, redsox_mark posted a bunch of stats from that site earlier in this discussion. However, I'm going to have to log a DNF on finding those stats myself. I've just gone through all the menus half a dozen times, and I can't find anything remotely like "Active cachers". Where are you people seeing this?

Click on "home" then select "overview". If you are logged in, it will come up with the stats for your country. (If you are not logged in, I think you get USA stats by default). You can then change the filter to be a different country.

9247703104_81afb25103_o_d.jpg

Note I assume the data for "last week" is actually a partial week of this week (likely starting on Monday), which is why data is so low.

It is the active number of cachers since Jan 1 2013 which I was using.

The data for "last month" seems reasonable, so I assume that really is last month (and not showing this partial month).

Edited by redsox_mark

http://project-gc.com/ this has active caher stats

Yeah, redsox_mark posted a bunch of stats from that site earlier in this discussion. However, I'm going to have to log a DNF on finding those stats myself. I've just gone through all the menus half a dozen times, and I can't find anything remotely like "Active cachers". Where are you people seeing this?

Click on "home" then select "overview".

Doh! Thanks, I don't know why I didn't try that page. This must be one of those D1 puzzles that I stare at for ages because I'm overthinking it. :laughing: