large area no cache

Duke of Advil

I was wondering is it against the rules to hide a cache in a metro park? my boys and I go to one every weekend and our favorite has zero Caches. it just seems odd to me that there is nothing. there are a few in the area but nothing in the park.

GPS listed below.

N 41° 04.358 W 081° 26.909

I was wondering is it against the rules to hide a cache in a metro park? my boys and I go to one every weekend and our favorite has zero Caches. it just seems odd to me that there is nothing. there are a few in the area but nothing in the park.

GPS listed below.

It is not against Geocaching rules; many caches are hidden in City Parks. Maybe your city does have a rule against it though. You'll have to ask them.

GPS listed below.

It’s important to read and understand the listing requirements.

When there are no caches in a park, in an otherwise cacheful area, there may be reasons. One thing I found out after hiding mine in parks, is there were caches there, but they were archived years ago. Most were due to non-cachers finding the containers, especially during events where there are large crowds (ballgames, holiday events, etc.). One park is ideal for Easter egg hunts, and most of the great cache spots are also ideal egg hides. And parks tend to be changed or landscaped, with no notice.

The manager of parks in my county is a Geocacher, who catalogs the park hides. You’ll likely need to contact some authority for permission.

Summit County Metro Parks have banned physical geocaches in their parks for more than ten years. The Metro Parks in adjoining counties are far more hospitable, often hosting events and hiding their own caches in addition to permitting others to hide caches in their parks. Nowadays if you see a park with no caches in a major metro area, it's likely there's an unfavorable Geocaching policy or a lot of puzzle caches in the area. See the Ohio section under North America / United States in the Geocaching.com Wiki for more details about land manager policies in your area.

I had a similar thought for decent-sized park in my area, where there was only 1 cache tucked into a corner of it. It turns out that there actually were more caches in the park, but they were Puzzles rather than Traditionals.

The Puzzle cache type icons can be placed at quite a distance (I think 3 miles?) from the actual coordinates of the cache, so it could be there is more than meets the eye with your park.