July/August Souvenir Question

I used to appreciate how this site was run nearly 10 years ago. They are now going out of their way to disgust me with their unending roll out of increasingly better mistakes. I will be logging my 9 Saturday finds on Sunday's date, and will find something else to do with my time the entire month of August. I know they don't care what I think, and are not likely to allow me to permanently wipe clear that stupid souvenir section. But that is my profile. They should not be able to force their junky Kindergarten art on to my Profile.

I used to appreciate how this site was run nearly 10 years ago. They are now going out of their way to disgust me with their unending roll out of increasingly better mistakes. I will be logging my 9 Saturday finds on Sunday's date, and will find something else to do with my time the entire month of August. I know they don't care what I think, and are not likely to allow me to permanently wipe clear that stupid souvenir section. But that is my profile. They should not be able to force their junky Kindergarten art on to my Profile.

To each his own, but that sounds like an extreme over-reaction to something that can so easily be ignored.

I translated the announcement about the August challenge in Russian, posted it to our local community and got my souvenir yesterday by finding a cache. My two kopecks as one living is a country with less than 30 caches not many caches :) The August race would mean little to us here if there was just one souvenir for a whole streak. It's almost impossible to make a strike here. Besides, August is the worst month for geocaching adventures of this kind because many people used to have vacations and leave their cities - and the only two places where you could attempt a streak in this country are Moscow and Saint-Petersburg. I personally will travel to the Urals in August, there's 1 (one) geocache in the area that I hope to find, it will take me 1.5 days by train, 3 hours by bus and at least 2 days of hiking to get there if weather is fine. As for a souvenir for each day in August I agree that it's a strange idea but it doesn't make me feel better or worse since, again, I know that not many cachers will search for geocaches intensively in August. (Though I understand that people who go for a hunt frequently may be against dozens of similar souvenirs in their profiles). On the other hand I would agree that such action may raise some questions. People may ask: "A souvenir just to go outdoors and find a cache? Why don't we have a souvenir for any of Russian regions? Not even one for the whole country? No souvenirs for the neighboring countries? Then, are souvenirs really valuable? You say that travelling 3,000 kilometers to Russia and finding a cache in taiga or mountains isn't worth a souvenir while walking to the closest parking lot to grab another LPC is OK for getting one?"

Edited by -CJ-

Being that there was so much drama in this thread, i decided to go back and take a look at my souvenirs this morning. I wanted to see how many of mine were actually "special" to me in some way. To my dismay, i didn't find any. If i had to pick one, it would be the Geowoodstock because of the fun i had there and the distance i drove to attend it. There are a few states listed as well but to be honest, whoopie. :rolleyes: The rest of them were just like yesterday's July 13th where hardly any effort at all was made to get them.

Of course i know it's not about the effort, but the specialness of the situation. Still, it doesn't matter to me as the souvenirs aren't what i look at if i want to reminisce. I look at the adventures themselves, reading the logs from the cache(s) found while on the adventure, and then looking at pictures that we may have taken at that time. This is so much better than looking at a block of pixels that give no details about the fun had back when the souvenir was placed onto my profile. :)

A cache for everyday in August sounds like a really stupid idea that belittles the whole idea of souvenirs.

Of course we are obsessed cachers so I guess we will try for it even though we have very few caches left around the Moncton area. I hope local cachers put out a few to help us out.

In order to have a chance for all the souvenirs, we will stop caching around here until August except for July 24 when we need a cache to complete our goal of having 5 caches on every day of the calendar.

Did I mention we are obsessed?

I guess I whined about the August Souvenirs once to often. Now they took them all away until I apologize.

99b9e8b1-cfb8-4c5e-947a-fd224df10ac7.jpg?rnd=0.7610437

Mine aren't showing up either. I'm devastated! :lol:

OH, MAN!

The souvenir collectors are screwed...mine are not showing either...I'm devastated as well...

They just want to get you used to every souvenir looking the same, it'll save on artwork and they can pump out a reverse bakers dozen at a time.

I guess I whined about the August Souvenirs once to often. Now they took them all away until I apologize.

OH, MAN!

The souvenir collectors are screwed...mine are not showing either...I'm devastated as well...

They just want to get you used to every souvenir looking the same, it'll save on artwork and they can pump out a reverse bakers dozen at a time.

Maybe, like challenges, all trace of them is being wiped from the servers! Make better mistakes tomorrow! :blink:

OH, MAN!

Maybe, like challenges, all trace of them is being wiped from the servers! Make better mistakes tomorrow! :blink:

JK :rolleyes::laughing: , unlike challenges, I would actually miss these little bytes! I'm sure they'll be back soon!

OH, MAN!

JK :rolleyes::laughing: , unlike challenges, I would actually miss these little bytes! I'm sure they'll be back soon!

I just got out of detention. It appears the souvenirs are back this morning.

I translated the announcement about the August challenge in Russian, posted it to our local community and got my souvenir yesterday by finding a cache. My two kopecks as one living is a country with less than 30 caches not many caches :) The August race would mean little to us here if there was just one souvenir for a whole streak. It's almost impossible to make a strike here. Besides, August is the worst month for geocaching adventures of this kind because many people used to have vacations and leave their cities - and the only two places where you could attempt a streak in this country are Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.

The last statement is not true. For example, one could have an event on each day in August. In Celle, a city in Germany this in my eyes absurd idea has been implemented (even though there would exist enough caches anyway). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=August+2013

Another idea along the same lines which of course will also be exploited somewhere is to hide caches under account A and find them under account B.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I translated the announcement about the August challenge in Russian, posted it to our local community and got my souvenir yesterday by finding a cache. My two kopecks as one living is a country with less than 30 caches not many caches :) The August race would mean little to us here if there was just one souvenir for a whole streak. It's almost impossible to make a strike here. Besides, August is the worst month for geocaching adventures of this kind because many people used to have vacations and leave their cities - and the only two places where you could attempt a streak in this country are Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.

The last statement is not true. For example, one could have an event on each day in August. In Celle, a city in Germany this in my eyes absurd idea has been implemented (even though there would exist enough caches anyway). http://www.geocachin...key=August+2013

Another idea along the same lines which of course will also be exploited somewhere is to hide caches under account A and find them under account B.

Cezanne

I saw an event cache listing for an event that will take place on August 3rd created so that people get the souvenir for August 3rd. I thought if someone wanted to actually make it challenging to obtain a souvenir for every day in August they could do it by only attending a geocaching event on each day. It would require a bit of travel and a month long commitment but it would be kind of fun.

A cache for everyday in August sounds like a really stupid idea that belittles the whole idea of souvenirs.

Of course we are obsessed cachers so I guess we will try for it even though we have very few caches left around the Moncton area. I hope local cachers put out a few to help us out.

In order to have a chance for all the souvenirs, we will stop caching around here until August except for July 24 when we need a cache to complete our goal of having 5 caches on every day of the calendar.

Did I mention we are obsessed?

You could re-find caches you've previously found. You can " find " the same cache 100 times ( or more ) and get 100 similes....if you visit a cache 100 different times and sign the log 100 times its perfectly legal....not many people would do it and it doesn't make a lot of sense but then neither does 31 souvenirs for the same month. I like my souvenirs for each U.S. state and foreign countries but most of the rest are bling.

I saw an event cache listing for an event that will take place on August 3rd created so that people get the souvenir for August 3rd. I thought if someone wanted to actually make it challenging to obtain a souvenir for every day in August they could do it by only attending a geocaching event on each day. It would require a bit of travel and a month long commitment but it would be kind of fun.

All the 31 events in Celle will take place within a small area - no travel is required and no challenge is involved. Moreover, this somehow perverts the idea of events in the same way as it happened for flash mob events. Most participants will just drop in, say hello, sign a log book (they will have log books) and leave again (this is what the logs and postings in geocaching blogs where the events are discussed predict). 31 events in a place like Celle is certainly a big overkill and the attendants will typically be always the same.

Cezanne

All the 31 events in Celle will take place within a small area - no travel is required and no challenge is involved. Moreover, this somehow perverts the idea of events in the same way as it happened for flash mob events. Most participants will just drop in, say hello, sign a log book (they will have log books) and leave again (this is what the logs and postings in geocaching blogs where the events are discussed predict). 31 events in a place like Celle is certainly a big overkill and the attendants will typically be always the same.

Cezanne

Hold the event(s) in a pub.

Cezanne

I realize all the events on that list are in the same town. I was suggesting attending an event in a different area every day. It might actually be somewhat of a challenge and you'd get to meet a new group of geocachers every day.

Hold the event(s) in a pub.

Yes, but be careful events in pubs with excellent and too much food are much more dangerous to cause coronary attacks than puzzle caches.

If you go back to regular Geocaching once the month is over you'll be fine, unfortunately the hard core puzzlers don't stop after a month.

Edited by Roman!