Handling other cachers?

fiona8757

I was looking for a 3.5 difficulty cache yesterday, and actually found it pretty quickly. Took it to my car, (which was parked right in front of the hide spot ---within about six feet)and got it open, and was cleaning my dirty hands before pulling the log out when two teenager girls on bikes approached. They slowed down, glanced at me and started earnestly looking in front of my car! They were looking for the cache! And I had it in my car! I was flummoxed. Didn't know what to do. Didn't want them to leave with a DNF, but didn't want to spoil it for them either. My window was wide open and I could hear them talking as they moved off, looking farther and farther away. Then I heard one girl say, "well, it was right there...." and so I could tell she had actually found it herself at some point in the past and was trying to show a non-cacher. So I hollered at them and told them I had it. They rode up to my car and we chatted a bit and I showed this nifty little cache container to the first girl's friend. We chatted for a minute, (turns out we all attend the same church, lol).....they left and I put the cache back. But I'd still like opinions as to what I should have done if I HADN'T overheard their conversation. I don't think I could have let them go thinking they had a DNF. Was thinking about telling them I had it and if they would leave I would replace it quickly so they could find it on their own....

I had this happen a couple of times to me and also been the one arriving to look when someone has the cache.

All of the times I've given the cache to the one looking, and also been given the cache from the person who found it....why make life hard? ;)

If I think it's possible that someone's looking for a cache, I ask them if they're looking for a cache. I don't think overhearing their conversation would be required. If they are, I hand them the log to sign before I put it back. Naturally if they balk, I'd be perfectly willing to put it back while they turned their backs. While I see why you think it's relevant that it's a D3.5, I personally probably wouldn't consider that detail.

The scary thing about this to me is that they obviously thought you were a muggle, yet they were looking for the cache right in front of you without the slightest concern. That's why caches disappear.

If I think it's possible that someone's looking for a cache, I ask them if they're looking for a cache. I don't think overhearing their conversation would be required. If they are, I hand them the log to sign before I put it back. Naturally if they balk, I'd be perfectly willing to put it back while they turned their backs. While I see why you think it's relevant that it's a D3.5, I personally probably wouldn't consider that detail.

The scary thing about this to me is that they obviously thought you were a muggle, yet they were looking for the cache right in front of you without the slightest concern. That's why caches disappear.

Yes, I noticed that too. They weren't exactly being discreet, lol.

Judging by what I've observed on the Internet and elsewhere, discretion isn't a very common trait of teenagers these days 😗

Judging by what I've observed on the Internet and elsewhere, discretion isn't a very common trait of teenagers these days.

Hmmm...what have you observed on the Internet?? :cute: