.co.uk Site?

Why is there no .co.uk Geocaching Website?

I just get a bit fed up of the date being the "wrong way round" and things like that.

Would be simple to just clone the entire site but an English version where the date is correct etc.

eBay and other major sites all have .co.uk and .com versions of the same site/database.

eBay and other major sites all have .co.uk and .com versions of the same site/database.

Like you say, other major sites. Geocaching.com is in no way a 'major' site! :)

M

I beg to differ...

Groundspeak is a MAJOR company employing a lot of people, with their head office located in a very expensive and prestigious location.

The very same location that is home to other's such as Amazon and across the lake from Microsoft and eBay.

So you sir, are quite wrong. Groundspeak IS a major company and Geocaching IS a major website.

Edited by MRB3N

I beg to differ...

Groundspeak is a MAJOR company employing a lot of people, with their head office located in a very expensive and prestigious location.

The very same location that is home to other's such as Amazon and across the lake from Microsoft and eBay.

So you sir, are quite wrong. Groundspeak IS a major company and Geocaching IS a major website.

36fa57f7-d635-4615-96dc-51a6ee9a1871.jpg

Looks like a fairly standard office for a small company with 40+ employees......

See here

Oh yes and 400+ volunteers spread throughout the world.

I know that they've moved since I last went there, but the office was only a small one (on one floor) and I think that there were no more than half a dozen people there. Also, Seattle is not all "prestigious". In fact it lays claim to having the original "Skid Row". The area where Groundspeak was sited was rather ordinary, in a bit of anonymous housing / shopping. Their cache was nice, and Jeremy wasn't too busy to have a chat; but certainly it's a small setup, not even medium-size. They really don't have the resources to set up customised versions for different countries. Nor is there the will.

I agree that GC.com is too American, however.

What we really need is a UK or European rival; but it's not going to happen, as Groundspeak has a total stranglehold on geocaching that would be very hard to release. I suspect that someone would have to actually buy their cache database for the whole country, as anything less will be a non-starter. That would be extremely expensive!

M

I beg to differ...

If you're classing Amazon, Microsoft and eBay as major companies then Groundspeak is in comparison a very minor company; in terms of employees, turnover, customers, web hits they're not even in the same league.

As for prestigious location, I'm sitting in a very prestigious location right now (Canary Wharf), and a couple of hundred yards in either direction are back street garages, greasy spoon cafe's, tiny little mini-marts etc. Just because they're in the same city or even same part of the city as the big boys doesn't mean they can play with the big boys.

So no, Groundspeak isn't a major company, and geocaching.com isn't really a major website.

M

I beg to differ...

If you're classing Amazon, Microsoft and eBay as major companies then Groundspeak is in comparison a very minor company; in terms of employees, turnover, customers, web hits they're not even in the same league.

As for prestigious location, I'm sitting in a very prestigious location right now (Canary Wharf), and a couple of hundred yards in either direction are back street garages, greasy spoon cafe's, tiny little mini-marts etc. Just because they're in the same city or even same part of the city as the big boys doesn't mean they can play with the big boys.

So no, Groundspeak isn't a major company, and geocaching.com isn't really a major website.

Groundspeak turns over millions in revenue.

Its a very successful and major company.

With more projects than just Geocaching which just happens to be the world leader by far, beating companies such as GARMIN!

So sorry, but I stand by my original statement.

I beg to differ...

36fa57f7-d635-4615-96dc-51a6ee9a1871.jpg

Looks like a fairly standard office for a small company with 40+ employees......

See here

Oh yes and 400+ volunteers spread throughout the world.

American checking in here, but only because I saw it was one of the newest threads. Assuming they update this page: http://www.Groundspeak.com/jobs.aspx regulary, there are currently avatars for 70 employees, almost twice as many as 40 employess.

And as a person who works for a smaller privately owned American Company with about 50 employees, I can tell you we do indeed bring in millions of dollars in revenue yearly. :ph34r:

I know that they've moved since I last went there, but the office was only a small one (on one floor) and I think that there were no more than half a dozen people there. Also, Seattle is not all "prestigious". In fact it lays claim to having the original "Skid Row". The area where Groundspeak was sited was rather ordinary, in a bit of anonymous housing / shopping. Their cache was nice, and Jeremy wasn't too busy to have a chat; but certainly it's a small setup, not even medium-size. They really don't have the resources to set up customised versions for different countries. Nor is there the will.

I agree that GC.com is too American, however.

What we really need is a UK or European rival; but it's not going to happen, as Groundspeak has a total stranglehold on geocaching that would be very hard to release. I suspect that someone would have to actually buy their cache database for the whole country, as anything less will be a non-starter. That would be extremely expensive!

I've gotten in trouble for mentioning "competing websites" in the past, but I should be OK in the UK forum. :lol: I actually won't mention them by name anyways. But did you know that Geocaching.com is NOT the number one Geocaching website in Poland or Russia? It's not even close to the competition in either case. It is true these are National sites, for two specific nations. And no, they are not of the same family, the Russian one is not affiliated with any other Geoaching website. The Polish one, you could say is. :ph34r:

Well, the point is not whether there are 70 full time employees, or 40 or whatever. Although it's odd that you only see and handful in the office, nothing like 40 or 70.

That's a different league from the others mentioned; for instance (just limiting the figures to Seattle) there are about 15,000 working for Amazon, 40,000 for Microsoft and 54,000 for Google (the latter figure being worldwide). Being that big they are likely to have the resources to customise their sites for different customers.

I've gotten in trouble for mentioning "competing websites" in the past, but I should be OK in the UK forum. :lol: I actually won't mention them by name anyways. But did you know that Geocaching.com is NOT the number one Geocaching website in Poland or Russia? It's not even close to the competition in either case. It is true these are National sites, for two specific nations. And no, they are not of the same family, the Russian one is not affiliated with any other Geoaching website. The Polish one, you could say is. :ph34r:

We could probably have had a competing website in the UK if it had been started not later than 2003 and then promoted energetically. After that the number of caches on gc.com started to mushroom, and the big problem for anyone wanting to start an major alternative is that their geocache map will look rather empty in comparison. That's not going to attract many fee-paying customers, or sponsors.

There are already alternatives, but IMO they are a long way behind in content and in site features.

Groudspeak only seems like a big company because they pay more in tax than Google and Amazon. Possibly.

But seriously, do we really need a .co.uk site? Geocaching is international. I go geocaching in the UK and Cyprus. I've even done it in Grand Canaria. Would I really want to have a separate site for each individual country? No. No. No.

Groudspeak only seems like a big company because they pay more in tax than Google and Amazon. Possibly.

But seriously, do we really need a .co.uk site? Geocaching is international. I go geocaching in the UK and Cyprus. I've even done it in Grand Canaria. Would I really want to have a separate site for each individual country? No. No. No.

Its not a separate site! :rolleyes:

Just the same site, but with the .co.uk extension and everything is in English by default.

Its not a separate site! :rolleyes:

Just the same site, but with the .co.uk extension and everything is in English by default.

The American (whom I don't think has posted to the UK forum in about 5 years before today) actually has experience in this area, owning 3 domain names that all point to the same website. Domains are relatively cheap, and it would be no problem to have www.geocaching.ca and www.geocaching.co.uk, for example. You set up the nameservers with your domain registrar, and you would see www.geocaching.co.uk in your browser, but you would be on the same website.

If you really think they should do this, why not start a thread in the Features and suggestions discussion sub-forum? Forgive me if I got the name of the sub-forum wrong, just going off of memory. :)

We could probably have had a competing website in the UK if it had been started not later than 2003 and then promoted energetically. After that the number of caches on gc.com started to mushroom, and the big problem for anyone wanting to start an major alternative is that their geocache map will look rather empty in comparison. That's not going to attract many fee-paying customers, or sponsors.

There are already alternatives, but IMO they are a long way behind in content and in site features.

Correct, an alternative run by volunteers is never going to be able to have the features of a website with (probably) 70 full-time employees, and millions of dollars in annual revenue. If I'm not mistaken, the UK alternative wasn't started until 2008 or 2009. Maybe even early 2010.

Another perfectly good topic ruined by the wannabe know-it-alls.

Not really, it was a "I don't know how to change the date format settings, therefore it's somebody else's fault" thread.

Once you'd been told how to fix your problem it then turned into people disagreeing with your judgement of what makes a "Major" company which, when you are putting it in the same league as eBay, Microsoft & Google is clearly nonsense.

I only got involved because of your snotty put down of Delta68's response, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Not really, it was a "I don't know how to change the date format settings, therefore it's somebody else's fault" thread.

Once you'd been told how to fix your problem it then turned into people disagreeing with your judgement of what makes a "Major" company which, when you are putting it in the same league as eBay, Microsoft & Google is clearly nonsense.

I only got involved because of your snotty put down of Delta68's response, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Shusssshhhh please sweetheart. Adults are talking.

troll_alert.gif

<_<:unsure:<_<

troll_alert.gif

<_<:unsure:<_<

Why am I a TROLL? Because I don't back down to your bully tactics? Get a grip!

I made a valid point and started a valid topic which you bombarded with mindless crap.

I do not need your BS opinion, nor do I want it.

So shut the door behind you and get back in the kitchen.

Wow... insulting much?

Yes very. But it is also very insulting to ask the Geocaching community a general question and be bombarded with mindless rubbish which is nothing to do with the main point. Its the same people thinking they are the big players and boss of Geocaching.

Basically they are just brain-dead Fwits.

Wow... insulting much?

Yes very. But it is also very insulting to ask the Geocaching community a general question and be bombarded with mindless rubbish which is nothing to do with the main point. Its the same people thinking they are the big players and boss of Geocaching.

don't worry I've already reported it for sexist comments.

on the other note. The answer to your issue was answer in post 2 it then because a discussion. Yes a discussion on if was actually a major company and then it got insulting.

Wow... insulting much?

don't worry I've already reported it for sexist comments.

on the other note. The answer to your issue was answer in post 2 it then because a discussion. Yes a discussion on if was actually a major company and then it got insulting.

Yes it did. I was insulted first. And I don't appreciate it.

I also do not appreciate do-gooders.

I have reported a fair few people so don not worry.