Suggestion: A DIY yearbook of your own cache-loggings

net7er

Hello all You lovely geocachers out there.

For some time now I have had an idea. Wouldn't it be nice to make a digital printout of all your loggings and uploaded Pictures over the spann of a year? It would be a yearbook of your day-to-day treasurehunts.

I know that there is aother post that discusses a yearbook, but as I see it, the issue there is about collecting some good loggings and Pictures from around the world and issuing it as an anual book.

This idea is about you, as a geocacher being able to make a digital printout of all your geocaching activity and make your own yearbook.

As I see it, it could be made as an option in "Your profile" to print out a PDF document with the geocaching activity which is related to your geocaching profile. Maybe it could be optional whether you wanted to print out the loggings and/or pictures and/or activity with trackables. Maybe it could also be an option to chose if you wanted to print out a "yearbook" of all the loggings on one of your geocaches?

I'm basically just trying to come up with suggestions on what could be done regarding this. I think it could be a great option and a nice addition to the Geocaching community.

Do any of you have an idea of this is simple or not? Isn't it just a matter of doing some programming of the databases to extract the various data under each geocacher profile? I'm not a programmer, so I really don't have an idea if this is a simple thing to do or not.

Well... I suggested it to Groundspeak via e-mail and they told me to post it here in order to get some feedback on the idea. So now it's done.

What are your thoughts? Is this a Tool/service that You could see yourself using?

All the best from Denmark,

Net7er

Hello all You lovely geocachers out there.

For some time now I have had an idea. Wouldn't it be nice to make a digital printout of all your loggings and uploaded Pictures over the spann of a year? It would be a yearbook of your day-to-day treasurehunts.

I know that there is aother post that discusses a yearbook, but as I see it, the issue there is about collecting some good loggings and Pictures from around the world and issuing it as an anual book.

This idea is about you, as a geocacher being able to make a digital printout of all your geocaching activity and make your own yearbook.

As I see it, it could be made as an option in "Your profile" to print out a PDF document with the geocaching activity which is related to your geocaching profile. Maybe it could be optional whether you wanted to print out the loggings and/or pictures and/or activity with trackables. Maybe it could also be an option to chose if you wanted to print out a "yearbook" of all the loggings on one of your geocaches?

I'm basically just trying to come up with suggestions on what could be done regarding this. I think it could be a great option and a nice addition to the Geocaching community.

Do any of you have an idea of this is simple or not? Isn't it just a matter of doing some programming of the databases to extract the various data under each geocacher profile? I'm not a programmer, so I really don't have an idea if this is a simple thing to do or not.

Net7er

I am a programmer and have done this sort of thing (dynamically generating a PDF file from information extracted from a data bases). I've done it using the Java programming language using a really good PDF generation library called iText, and, unless you're doing something really simple without any fancy formatting, it isn't trivial. However, the GS site doesn't use Java and thus would have to use some other PDF generation library so it could be easier, or much, much more difficult.

I kind of like the idea as it might encourage people to write better logs, but probably wouldn't be used by someone had has several thousand finds in a year, and most of them with cut-n-paste logs. With the growing trend towards numbers caching and terse cut-n-paste logs such a feature would become less useful.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Not surprisingly, there are a couple of GSAK macros that could fit this bill rather nicely.

HTML Condensed Printout

and

Print Diary

I haven't used either one (yet), but since they both can export as HTML it should be easy to convert that to a PDF with the proper browser plugin. Or you could print it out to be bound in a nice coffee-table book to wow your friends and relatives. :)

Hmmm, sadly the most promising one (HTML Condensed Printout) contains non-functional commands and will need to be edited to work...and I'm not a 'GSAK macro guru' :(

Edited to add:

Or perhaps I can't follow the directions and was using it (HTML Condensed Printout) incorrectly. :rolleyes:

Edited by AZcachemeister

let's see,in the olden days, i need to go to my profile >>>>> then My logs >>>>>> then to Your Geocaching Logs (Filtered by Log Type) and >>>>> finally click on visit log >>>once there, take my written log, copy and paste it to a word program.

but these aren't the good old days, so what, WorldWideWizard, is the answer?