Bulk Downloaded GCs Don't Appear

whixson

I ran two PQs and downloaded the GPX files to my computer - one had 177 GCs and one had 577. I then used the Garmin POI loader and it said it transferred the data to my 650 although it seemed to run very fast, only a couple seconds, but they don't appear in the Geocache listing! Individually downloaded ones are fine.

Edited by whixson

I assume you are talking about the Oregon 650 (there are other Garmin 650's). You don't use the POI loader. Hook it up, find those files and delete them. Just drop the two GPX files from the PQ onto Garmin/GPX folder and they will show up.

I bet if you go to WhereTo POI's you will see them. They weren't loaded as caches.

I assume you are talking about the Oregon 650 (there are other Garmin 650's). You don't use the POI loader. Hook it up, find those files and delete them. Just drop the two GPX files from the PQ onto Garmin/GPX folder and they will show up.

I bet if you go to WhereTo POI's you will see them. They weren't loaded as caches.

Thanks Walt I will give that a try.

That did it Walt! they are there now. But it seems there were 2 files for each download, one with 'waypts' in the name. I copied both and now I have a bunch of odd waypoints that appear to be assoxiated in some way with the caches... ??

That is correct. The two files are

One for the cache

One for all the waypoints associated with it (parking, additional stop points, etc)

If you look at the cache description you will see them listed at the bottom.

If you ever decide to go with the new format GGZ (which you don't need unless you are going to load many thousands of caches) it will be different. The additional waypoints are saved as POIs and found under extra because you can easily exceed the 2,000 waypoint limit.

Unless you need it stick with the old GPX.

You should try GSAK. Its great for downloading many caches at once and it transfers to my gps with no problem.

I'm having the same problem. The PQs are there in the GPX file but don't show up. I have loaded a few one by one using Write to GPS, I have loaded 1000 in a PQ dropping the unzipped files into the GPX folder and also GSAK. The first PQs I put on to the new Oregon 650 I bought on Saturday were fine. Then I deleted them as we were going back home and I wanted to load our home ones, and the new ones just don't appear. Sitting by the phone now to Garmin as I am getting desperate. I have been loading PQs on to a Garmin GPS for years so I know what to do. There Oregon 650 def has something weird about it.

It's a year later and the Oregon 650 still appears to have problems. The gpx files are there, but don't show up on the map. Some do show up in the listing, but the PQs might as well not be there. Has anyone solved this problem yet? Will try loading to GSAK and see if there's a difference.