Stick People Clue

ptplacecacher

There is a cache near by I would like to find however the owner put the last digits of the co-ordinates in a stick people puzzle. How do you solve these things?

Mike

By finding the co-ords of course! It could be anything from the number of pixels to the number of stick people. It could not even be in the stick people clue, that could be a decoy. Ask the CO for a hint.

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

Solving puzzles on the forums is frowned upon. Puzzles are meant to be solved by each seeker. Remember, the guidelines suggest the actual cache should be within 1 mile of the posted coordinates. That makes some of the digits a given. Make like Sherlock Holmes and you'll solve it in no time. Also, Google is your friend.

Edited by ras_oscar

Solving puzzles on the forums is frowned upon. Puzzles are meant to be solved by each seeker. Remember, the guidelines suggest the actual cache should be within 1 mile of the posted coordinates. That makes some of the digits a given. Make like Sherlock Holmes and you'll solve it in no time. Also, Google is your friend.

I found the puzzle you are probably looking at. The first one like it that I came across took me some time to find the solution. Actually, finding solutions to puzzles is sometimes an evolving (learning) experience. I enjoy working the puzzles, however I found that trying one and if the solution isn't found within a certain amount of time (when your head starts hurting), put it aside and look at another one. As time goes on, you will find solutions to puzzles you have worked on previously while looking for a solution to another one. I have had some puzzles laying around for a couple of years that I couldn't solve and then something on another puzzle triggers a path to the previously unsolved puzzle. Lots of Google searches are usually involved. Some will find one type of puzzle easy, because they have a background in the area, while others would find the same puzzle all but impossible to solve.

OK, enough rambling. The point is to just plug along at them. I have even solved puzzles in other parts of the country, (knowing that I will probably never get anywhere close enough to find them) just for the experience and fun of solving them. In fact while looking for the one you were referring to I solved "Say Cheese" or something like that. :rolleyes: Ha!

Edited by cwgrizz

I found the puzzle you are probably looking at. The first one like it that I came across took me some time to find the solution. Actually, finding solutions to puzzles is sometimes an evolving (learning) experience. I enjoy working the puzzles, however I found that trying one and if the solution isn't found within a certain amount of time (when your head starts hurting), put it aside and look at another one. As time goes on, you will find solutions to puzzles you have worked on previously while looking for a solution to another one. I have had some puzzles laying around for a couple of years that I couldn't solve and then something on another puzzle triggers a path to the previously unsolved puzzle. Lots of Google searches are usually involved. Some will find one type of puzzle easy, because they have a background in the area, while others would find the same puzzle all but impossible to solve.

OK, enough rambling. The point is to just plug along at them. I have even solved puzzles in other parts of the country, (knowing that I will probably never get anywhere close enough to find them) just for the experience and fun of solving them. In fact while looking for the one you were referring to I solved "Say Cheese" or something like that. :rolleyes: Ha!

I guess maybe I posted wrong maybe I should have posted the wording as where can I find information on solving stick people puzzles. I did do a Google search and came up empty. As a newby I only have 20 caches under my belt and still learning. I'm currently pursuing spiritual quest caches and the clue I'm trying to solve is for one of them! Sorry for the confusion! :(

I guess maybe I posted wrong maybe I should have posted the wording as where can I find information on solving stick people puzzles. I did do a Google search and came up empty. As a newby I only have 20 caches under my belt and still learning. I'm currently pursuing spiritual quest caches and the clue I'm trying to solve is for one of them! Sorry for the confusion! :(

I can understand the frustration, because when I first started looking at puzzles my first thoughts were "How are you ever supposed to figure this out? What are they doing? This doesn't make sense." Then after looking at quite a few, some things started falling into place on some. I still am looking at some with the same thoughts as I originally had. :rolleyes:

Like I said previously, "Stick People" as well as other ciphers may take some time to find using Google or whatever search engine. After/while doing searches for other puzzle solutions etc. you may run across the answer to the "Stick People". Google or whatever is your friend, but may take a lot of your time. Think of other terms to search, like "symbols, men, ciphers, rumkin, etc." http://zonacachers.com/ has some fairly good links that may help also.

With only 20 or so finds, I recommend if you want to solve puzzles, you look at many puzzles and solve the ones you can. I ran across a good series of puzzles in Florida that actually helped in learning how to solve them (I don't have the name at the present time, sorry). Another series is in Arizona which is called Looney Bin.. and are pretty easy puzzles to solve which give experience.

With only 20 or so finds, I recommend if you want to solve puzzles, you look at many puzzles and solve the ones you can. I ran across a good series of puzzles in Florida that actually helped in learning how to solve them (I don't have the name at the present time, sorry).

The Florida series I was talking about begins with the cache GC2MC7M for the first one and there are about 10 or 11 in the series.

I went back to see what cache you were looking at. It is the one I looked at yesterday and it does meet the criteria you stated, so I am sure I know which one you are looking at. SQ - .......... After solving it, it is and does meet the SQ series for location.

Really giving you anything more, could be deemed as a violation of the terms with GS.

. . . . Remember, the guidelines suggest the actual cache should be within 1 mile of the posted coordinates. . . .

When was this changed from 2 miles to 1?

Actually here is the quote:

Mystery/Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve this type cache must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location, but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and means that the mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate. Add the final set of coordinates and any additional waypoints to the cache listing before submitting for review.

Before you submit the cache listing, post a Note to Reviewer with an explanation of how the puzzle is solved. This log will auto-delete on publication.

A challenge cache is a variation of a puzzle cache that enhances the geocaching experience. It will typically require the cacher to meet a reasonable and positive Geocaching-, Waymarking- or Wherigo-related qualification. If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please review the additional specifications in our Knowledge Book article.

Saying/seeing this, I guess some that are located farther away (5-6 miles) must be grandfathered in. I have had a couple that I felt I was solving incorrectly because the results were too far from the original posted coords. I do like the distance restriction because it does in some cases help in finding the solution. Ha!

Here is the number to the cache GCWF9D so everyone can see what I'm talking about. The eatery mentioned is a high end place I would take my dates to on special occasions when I was in high school/ college. That's why it caught my eye in the first place ! A cache at a well to do restaurant? The reason I do the SQ is I find the cemeteries to be very interesting. I did a cache in Walled Lake Michigan part of the SQ and found graves going back to the 1800's. The large head stones I'm assuming someone either wealthy or important to the area. This place did have a lot of Smiths there!

I've solved a couple puzzles like that. Like has been stated, we're not allowed to give you a lot of help here. Keep trying with Google, and try different variations on the search terms. Think of other ways you could describe the figures. You might get somewhere with an image search, also.

One nice thing, once you've figured this one out, if you ever come across another like it you'll know what to do. <_<

Here is the number to the cache GCWF9D <snip> The reason I do the SQ is I find the cemeteries to be very interesting. I did a cache in Walled Lake Michigan part of the SQ and found graves going back to the 1800's. The large head stones I'm assuming someone either wealthy or important to the area. This place did have a lot of Smiths there!

That is the exact Puzzle Cache that I have been referring to in my previous posts. Solving it will get you coordinates that will take you to a place that fits into the Spirit Quest series nicely. Solving puzzles is not always straight forward. As I believe I stated before, I have some puzzles that I have been trying to solve for years. That is the "fun" of it. :laughing: