Garmin eTrex Venture HC

I have had a Garmin eTrex Venture HC since December of 2007. My cats like pulling on the cable when I am transfering data from the computer to the unit and as can be expected the unit has hit the floor one time to many. Now the thumb stick/joy stick, what ever it is called has broken. I can only scroll up I think, no left/right/down. So I can not delete data points, select much. Can this be replaced or repaired? From Customer service with Garmin I can send it in and they will "replace" the unit or fix it for $79 bucks plus shipping both directions. I am looking for information on replacing the thumb stick, or the top cover of the unit.

Anyone have a unit that has the electronics fried or the back case broken, missing the back battery cover, broken battery contacts etc. ??

Don't even care what color it is, mine is the yellow one, I just want to get this back to working better than what I have now...

I have had a Garmin eTrex Venture HC since December of 2007. My cats like pulling on the cable when I am transfering data from the computer to the unit and as can be expected the unit has hit the floor one time to many. Now the thumb stick/joy stick, what ever it is called has broken. I can only scroll up I think, no left/right/down. So I can not delete data points, select much. Can this be replaced or repaired? From Customer service with Garmin I can send it in and they will "replace" the unit or fix it for $79 bucks plus shipping both directions. I am looking for information on replacing the thumb stick, or the top cover of the unit.

Anyone have a unit that has the electronics fried or the back case broken, missing the back battery cover, broken battery contacts etc. ??

Don't even care what color it is, mine is the yellow one, I just want to get this back to working better than what I have now...

If you send it to Garmin, you should get a refurbished unit in return so it will be just as good as a new unit. IMHO.... That will be much better than you trying to fix your own unit.

I've thought about that. However when you add shipping both directions and not having a GPSr for a month or so . . . that runs the price/cost to over $100. For less than that price I can get a replacement unit via the auction site. Or save up and get a newer eTrex 20 or 30 with much better abilities. just don't have the $$ to spend either way.

Of course I'm 90 or so miles from Garmin HQ so could just drive down there and see what I can see.

Jackie