Hiding caches inside public buildings?

teambaconpancakes

I'm wondering if this is allowed at all. For example, I work at a library and was wondering (if I got the necessary permission from the library) if I could hide a small nano cache somewhere inside. Are geocaches allowed indoors, or do they have to be hidden outdoors?

(We're new to geocaching and want to start hiding our caches, and the guidelines I read didn't seem to have anything regarding this sort of thing.)

Thanks!

Just hiding a container (nano or otherwise) in a library won't get published because you can't use the GPS indoors. And as niraD said, use of a GPS must be integral to the cache search.

What some folks have done (there was a long discussion about it in another recent thread), is to make it a multi or puzzle cache, where there IS a physical container somewhere outside the library, and THAT container (which can be found with a GPS) contains the clue to where to find the final stage. One example would be that the first stage contains the call number for a book in the library, and that book is a fake or hollowed out book with the cache inside.

I have found one where the book was the actual logbook and there was no container, but nowadays the reviewer might not allow that because of the requirement that there must be a container of some kind.

Obviously you would need the cooperation of the library for something like this, since they would have to assign the "book" with a call number.

I'm wondering if this is allowed at all. For example, I work at a library and was wondering (if I got the necessary permission from the library) if I could hide a small nano cache somewhere inside. Are geocaches allowed indoors, or do they have to be hidden outdoors?

I think the container needs to be bigger. There's a local cache (with only a Dewey reference number, I think it's a little too vague), and when I saw all the display items in the library, I imagined it was an amazing container. The globe, or a stuffed animal, or an index box on a desk, or a hollow book in the reference section... so many possibilities. It was almost a letdown to end up with a tiny packet stuck to a shelf.

You can get creative, because it doesn't need to be waterproof. Ask caching friends about cool “library” hides, and get some ideas. Work with your reviewer. It's rare to get an indoor cache approved, but if it fits the guidelines and is really well done, maybe you can do it.

Here's a thought, Assuming all other guidelines are met, such as the 161 meters, permission and such, could you not do letterbox hybrid cache, or a mystery indoors? After all a LBH or a night cache can involve going to the posted co-ords and following a trail of reflectors, or landmarks. How would doing this and the final being in a mall or library be any different than the final being in a tree? Again assuming all other guidelines are met of course.

Don't forget that finding your cache cannot involve any interaction between the seeker and the library staff.

Well, not exactly. Interaction between the seeker and the library staff cannot be required to find or to log the cache, but if interaction does just happen to occur that's not a problem.

Holy forum replies, Batman. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! :D

Just hiding a container (nano or otherwise) in a library won't get published because you can't use the GPS indoors. And as niraD said, use of a GPS must be integral to the cache search.

GPS doesn't work indoors? I wasn't aware of that. Why does my phone know where I am when I'm inside my house?

Here's a thought, Assuming all other guidelines are met, such as the 161 meters, permission and such, could you not do letterbox hybrid cache, or a mystery indoors? After all a LBH or a night cache can involve going to the posted co-ords and following a trail of reflectors, or landmarks. How would doing this and the final being in a mall or library be any different than the final being in a tree? Again assuming all other guidelines are met of course.

How is a letterbox hybrid cache different from a mystery/puzzle cache? (Kind of off-topic, I know, but from what I know about them they both just seem like caches that are in the form of clues.)

Edited by teambaconpancakes

I think the container needs to be bigger. There's a local cache (with only a Dewey reference number, I think it's a little too vague), and when I saw all the display items in the library, I imagined it was an amazing container. The globe, or a stuffed animal, or an index box on a desk, or a hollow book in the reference section... so many possibilities. It was almost a letdown to end up with a tiny packet stuck to a shelf.

You can get creative, because it doesn't need to be waterproof. Ask caching friends about cool “library” hides, and get some ideas. Work with your reviewer. It's rare to get an indoor cache approved, but if it fits the guidelines and is really well done, maybe you can do it.

Thanks for the ideas! If I end up getting permission from my manager, I may ask for some creative input from the rest of the staff too; I'm sure we'll think of something good~

Just so you're thinking about it: with the library in on the cache, there's very little reason to hide a nano in a place as big as a library. I have found some small library caches, maybe one or two that were nanos, but I've also found big jars labeled "GEOCACHE" sitting on a bookshelf in plain sight. I suspect most libraries would prefer minimizing the impact of the search by making the find obvious. The last thing you want is people thinking that they need to depopulate a shelf because there might be a tiny nano behind one of the books.

GPS doesn't work indoors? I wasn't aware of that. Why does my phone know where I am when I'm inside my house?

Phones may triangulate cell towers when GPS isn't available. GPSrs can work indoors in special circumstances. I've found one cache in a glass-ceiling horticultural center, when the GPSr didn't seem to know it was indoors. :anicute:

How is a letterbox hybrid cache different from a mystery/puzzle cache? (Kind of off-topic, I know, but from what I know about them they both just seem like caches that are in the form of clues.)

First off, the GPSr indoors thing. The GPS relies on satellites miles and miles above the earth. With all that distance anything from cloud cover to trees to being in, say downtown New York with all those giant buildings will bounce, reflect, and otherwise lower the quality of the signal. Now your house is possibly brick exterior, but mostly wood, and other less dense materials. A Public building, like say a mall, or hospital will be tons of brick concrete, and many walls to go through. So the GPSr signal is lost.

A cell phone uses GPS, cell towers, and WIFI(some models do anyway) So that's more signals, and the cell towers are generally closer to the earth. But even then, in some buildings there is zero cell service. It can be so bad, that some malls might have to install repeaters for police and EMS radios.

NOw for your letterbox, well you should know it because you should have read all the help section, but since most people don't; A letter box (in spirit anyway. We all know people don't do things the way they are supposed to) is where you go to one place and get clues to find the letterbox. Such as go 120 north of the park bench. Walk 65 feet on bearing 61. Turn 90 degrees to the left, and look under the fallen tree. There will be a container with a stamp that you stamp your logbook with. (as opposed to us carrying a pen and leaving the logbook in the cache) Well a letter box cache is meant to be the same thing, but it will also enable you to use GPS co-ords. Such as go to 50 XX XXX North and 110 XX XXX West and then follow the same directions. A letterbox, or a follow the reflectors type night cache are the same thing pretty much, only a letter box is required to have the stamp I mentioned earlier, and a night cache, is well done at night. It could also be a ? cache.

The reason I brought it up, is that the reviewer says no GPS is required to do a library cache. Well, you only need a GPS for the first part of a Letter Box Hybrid Cache, and it would also solve no reception indoors thing. So it could be something like go to these co-ords. Walk north across 25 parking spots. Turn left and continue going through the mall until you get to the fountain. there is as clock on the fountain. to the side closest to three o'clock, and look in the planter....that way the only thing would be to get permission.

Which gives me an idea....

Just hiding a container (nano or otherwise) in a library won't get published because you can't use the GPS indoors.
I've found a number of caches where there was no GPS reception at the cache location. It was still possible for the CO to use a GPS receiver to get accurate coordinates, and it was still possible for seekers to use a GPS receiver and those coordinates to identify GZ to search for the cache.

The real issue is whether you're using accurate GPS coordinates to find the cache (or to find an early stage that eventually leads to the cache somehow). If you merely post the coordinates of the library parking lot or the library entrance, then it won't be approved. At some point in the search, accurate coordinates must be used.

Don't forget that finding your cache cannot involve any interaction between the seeker and the library staff.
In the guidelines against commercial caches, it prohibits caches that require interaction with employees of a business. I don't see how requiring interaction with a librarian at a public library would cause the cache to violate the guidelines against commercial caches.

GPSr may or may not work indoors. Cell phone can determine location by triangulation using cell phone towers if it can get a signal. My phone works fine indoors but does NOT work inside most supermarkets. I assume it's the metal in the roof & ceiling.

We have a really nice library cache in our town. It's a puzzle cache, and the cachers have to travel around town, gathering clues from signs posted around town. After gathering all the clues, you'll have the call number for the book. The book has a section cut out on the inside, so muggles won't notice that it's not a regular book. The log and swag are actually inside the book. The library staff know about it and really enjoy having it there. If fact, the CO wanted to archive the cache at one point, but he didn't because the library staff didn't want him to. lol

I had great fun finding a cache in a library in San Antonio.

What Would Dewey Do? is in the Brook Hollow Branch Library. The owner of the cache is the user Brook Hollow Branch Library

The cache page reads as follows:

Questions, questions!

The coordinates will take you near the cache (we think you are smart enough to figure this out), but this cache is only available during certain times: Monday: 12pm-8pm Tuesday: 10am-6pm Wednesday: 12am-8pm Thursday–Sunday: 10am - 6pm

You will need help from the facility!

There are almost always books, as well as various interesting odds and ends in the cache.

Additional Hints (Encrypt)

Can't find something at the library? Who do you ask?

Grant it the cache was hidden 30 Apr 06 so it may be a grandfather type situation. It is also listed as a Mystery/Unknown cache type. Basically you walk right up to the desk and ask the librarian about the geocache and she reaches under the counter and hands you the tupperware and you can go sit at a table and peruse the contents. Simple and easy and gets people into their library.