How to make an 'off the trail' route for etrex 20?

callum112233

I'm new to geocaching, I have found 8 caches now with my geocaching iphone app. I decided it was best to get a GPS unit because the battery on the iphone was no good.

Anyway, my question is:

How can I make a route that goes off road on garmin basecamp? I know how to make a route following roads, but when it comes to making a route to the top of a mountain, I am clueless.

I am using openmtb maps

Thanks in advance.

Callum.

I'm new to geocaching, I have found 8 caches now with my geocaching iphone app. I decided it was best to get a GPS unit because the battery on the iphone was no good.

Anyway, my question is:

How can I make a route that goes off road on garmin basecamp? I know how to make a route following roads, but when it comes to making a route to the top of a mountain, I am clueless.

I am using openmtb maps

Thanks in advance.

Callum.

Not exactly sure what you are asking (It's too early. Ha!)

Anyway you can create waypoints on the map that you want to go to ie caches, additional waypoints, etc. Then select them all and create a route. The waypoints can be rearranged to the order you want to modify the route. The more detailed route you want, may require adding/creating more waypoints.

A good source of instruction on creating routes using BaseCamp can be found HERE.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction

Anyway, my question is:

I am using openmtb maps

Thanks in advance.

Callum.

Not exactly sure what you are asking (It's too early. Ha!)

Anyway you can create waypoints on the map that you want to go to ie caches, additional waypoints, etc. Then select them all and create a route. The waypoints can be rearranged to the order you want to modify the route. The more detailed route you want, may require adding/creating more waypoints.

A good source of instruction on creating routes using BaseCamp can be found HERE.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction

Thanks. This helped me a lot.

I think I just need some time to fiddle around with it. Good news is that today, I found a cache with the etrex for the first time. It was much better than with the Iphone app :lol:

I use the 'New Track' option in BaseCamp to create a manual track. That can be exported to my eTrex along with the caches. Then in the Track Manager menu on the eTrex, I find the track and select 'Show on Map' and set a distinct color like red or green. This will show up as an overlaid line on the eTrex map screen much like a road and can even be navigated to.

As an advanced version of this, I sometimes use Google Earth 'Create Path' to trace over the visible trails and then save that path to a .kmz. BaseCamp will import that kmz file as a track. Send the track to the eTrex and set it to display as mentioned above.

One hint for success with this method: Use the 'click click click' method to create a series of straight lines between track points instead of just drawing as with a pencil. The pencil method will create a zillion track points and load up the memory pretty quickly. When you need a curved line, just start putting your click points closer together.