GCD and the Ape Event on the Same Day :)

GrnXnham

Have you ever wanted to visit the oldest cache in Washington? If so …. Come join us! We are hiking to GCD on August 18, 2013, before heading over to the infamous Ape Event! To accommodate the timing of WSGA's Ape event on Snoqualime Pass we will be starting very early in the morning. We'll meet up at 6AM with a hike time of 6:30.

The trail starts at GC1GMZN - Mt. Margaret Trail Head

N 47° 22.1076'

W 121° 21.1112'

On the way you can find:

GC2F9DV - 56 Miles and 4 Days

GC1W7KE - I've fallen, and I can't get up....

Arriving at:

GCD – Geocache

Of course there are more caches in the area, but these mentioned caches are on the trail from the parking lot to GCD. (We will be turning around here, but you may feel free to continue on.)

Please come prepared to walk a minimum of four miles (roundtrip) AND a little over 1600 feet of elevation gain. Some essentials you may want to bring are: sturdy hiking boats, several bottles of water, basic First Aid kit, extra hiking socks (non-cotton,) and a snack.

Edited by GrnXnham

Very glad to see that you guys are doing this, GrnXnhams! Visiting folks will certainly be happy to have the company of some friendly and experienced locals heading up there :D

Don't know yet whether our own plans will allow us to join the hike, but we'll keep it in mind.

Edited by benandjayme

Some essentials you may want to bring are: sturdy hiking boats...

The snow melt should have calmed down by then, so the sturdy hiking boats are not really going to be necessary unless you get some really fierce thunder showers.

Edited by B+L

Thanks to GrnXnham for arranging this hike before the Ape mega-event! TotemLake did a great job last year, and glad they will continue this new tradition for all the visitors who want to visit Washington's oldest cache but may be a bit hesitant hiking on their own.

I've updated the Ape event page to mention this along with a link, and also posted an announcement.

My wife and I will be driving from Virginia, and I have been thinking about going for this cache. Thank you for putting a group hike together; I will do my best to be part of the group.

We are calling this our "Mega-Road Trip", with plans to attend the two Mega-Events, tour Headquarters and get a cache in 28 states and Canada!

A couple of the caches I have planned to go for on the trip are Mingo (GC30), and Un-Original Stash (GC92).

I am looking forward to our trip and I visit to Washington's oldest cache would be icing on the cake!

Thanks,

biblemanrick

Wise, VA

Have you ever wanted to visit the oldest cache in Washington? If so …. Come join us! We are hiking to GCD on August 18, 2013, before heading over to the infamous Ape Event! To accommodate the timing of WSGA's Ape event on Snoqualime Pass we will be starting very early in the morning. We'll meet up at 6AM with a hike time of 6:30.

N 47° 22.1076'

W 121° 21.1112'

On the way you can find:

Arriving at:

GCD – Geocache

Of course there are more caches in the area, but these mentioned caches are on the trail from the parking lot to GCD. (We will be turning around here, but you may feel free to continue on.)

Please come prepared to walk a minimum of four miles (roundtrip) AND a little over 1600 feet of elevation gain. Some essentials you may want to bring are: sturdy hiking boats, several bottles of water, basic First Aid kit, extra hiking socks (non-cotton,) and a snack.

N 47° 22.1076'

W 121° 21.1112'

On the way you can find:

Arriving at:

GCD – Geocache

We'd love to do this! We'll be driving up from Texas and wondered if someone could tell us how long is the drive from Seattle to the trailhead? (Approx time and distance??) Thanks!!

We'd love to do this! We'll be driving up from Texas and wondered if someone could tell us how long is the drive from Seattle to the trailhead? (Approx time and distance??) Thanks!!

Being somewhat dependent on where you are starting in Seattle - it's about an hour and 15 minute drive to the trailhead, about 59 miles.

We are new cachers to WA and are excited to do some famous caches. We'll be bringing along some tiny cachers ages 10, 11 and 16. Do you think this hike will be doable for them? I'm not sure how long of a hike it is, like the time and distance. Plus, being from out of town, we will be limited with the kind of hiking supplies we can bring other than water and outerwear. But we are very excited to cache with experts and learn a thing or two about the area. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

We are new cachers to WA and are excited to do some famous caches. We'll be bringing along some tiny cachers ages 10, 11 and 16. Do you think this hike will be doable for them? I'm not sure how long of a hike it is, like the time and distance. Plus, being from out of town, we will be limited with the kind of hiking supplies we can bring other than water and outerwear. But we are very excited to cache with experts and learn a thing or two about the area. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

Welcome, glad you want to join the fun at my cache! It should be a great group, and many thanks to GrnXnham for leading it.

As for your kids, it depends on their hiking abilities. Do they go hiking a lot, or are they 'city kids'? I know kids who started backpacking at six, and others who have never ventured beyond a shopping mall.

As for time and distance, that's mentioned in the OP, the cache page, and the Ape event page to help you decide: It's a moderate mountain hike - two miles each way, with 1,600 feet of elevation gain. How long it takes depends on your hiking speed. For kids, that would be a significant hike (ditto for some adults).

Edited by hydnsek

Have you ever wanted to visit the oldest cache in Washington? If so …. Come join us!

I thought I remembered seeing this mentioned somewhere. I'm definitely up for this. I may follow lamoracke's suggestion and continue on past GCD for the next cache so the hike qualifies for the Hike 100 Miles challenge, just depends on the timing.

How are permits handled? Is one needed to hike this trail?

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead. They are $5 for day passes, and available in many local shops or online.

PLEASE remember that you will need a NW Forest pass to park at the Mt. Margaret Trail Head. You can buy these passes:

Online:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/passes-permits

Please remember that you need to allow enough time for the pass to be mailed to you.

OR…..

USDA FS-Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center

I-90, Exit 52

Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068

425-434-6111

Pay Station Available - Can purchase up to three NWFP Day Passes with VISA or Master Card.

See you soon!

GrnXnham :)

USDA FS-Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center

I-90, Exit 52

Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068

425-434-6111

Pay Station Available - Can purchase up to three NWFP Day Passes with VISA or Master Card.

Thanks for the information. I'll think I'll go for this option, as buying one online and mailing it to the Netherlands is an additional $36.50 in shipping costs. :)

How are permits handled? Is one needed to hike this trail?

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead. They are $5 for day passes, and available in many local shops or online.

Note for those coming from other parts of the country: you can also use an Interagency Annual Pass if you already have one (e.g., an 'America the Beautiful' pass, which gets you into all US National Parks).

Also note: whatever pass/permit you use for this hike is for the US National Forest Service, and you will need a different pass (the Discover Pass) to park at the APE event, which is in a Washington State Park.

Just a reminder that this is Sunday! We hope to have a great turnout for the hike up. The more people you can talk with the faster/easier the hike will seem to be! :rolleyes:

Also, going early in the morning the weather will be cooler and easier to deal with than having the afternoon sun directly hitting the majority of the trail. Also, we don't want you to miss any of the wonderful APE event.

Please come prepared to walk a minimum of four miles (roundtrip) AND a little over 1600 feet of elevation. Some essentials you may want to bring are: sturdy hiking boots, several bottles of water, basic First Aid kit, extra hiking socks (non-cotton,) and a snack.

PLEASE remember that you will need a NW Forest pass to park at the Mt. Margaret Trail Head.

See you Sunday!

GrnXnham B)