Issue with publishing

Yesterday I placed and submitted 4 caches to be reviewed and published, all 4 were rejected because they didn't follow "Guidelines". I was under the impression caches had to be about 500 feet apart, however this was just a simple suggested guideline and not a strict law..

Anyhow, I really am not bothered to go and find new placements for my caches so plan to just publish 2 of them and retrieve back the other 2 caches. How do I delete the two caches I don't want so I can resubmit the 2 I want to keep ?

Just out of interest, one of my caches was 495 feet apart and the other was 438

cheers :rolleyes:

Edited by Rich1010

You can archive listings that you aren't going to reuse from the Navigation box. Archive is a log type. You'll still own the listing, but it will be quite obscure in a side bar on a page you'll likely never visit.

Here's a link to the Knowledge Books article on Managing Your Cache Listing, http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=234

Good luck with your new hides.

The guideline is here and is fairly clear that caches should be AT LEAST 528 feet apart, not "about 500 feet". It does seem rather nitpicky, doesn't it? But there really has to be a lower limit somewhere, and it's .1 miles.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Yesterday I placed and submitted 4 caches to be reviewed and published, all 4 were rejected because they didn't follow "Guidelines". I was under the impression caches had to be about 500 feet apart, however this was just a simple suggested guideline and not a strict law..

Anyhow, I really am not bothered to go and find new placements for my caches so plan to just publish 2 of them and retrieve back the other 2 caches. How do I delete the two caches I don't want so I can resubmit the 2 I want to keep ?

Just out of interest, one of my caches was 495 feet apart and the other was 438

cheers :rolleyes:

Here's the link to the Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

If you click "Expand All", all the links will be displayed fully opened.

Or you can click each point to have it open.

There's a major difference between "about 500 feet" and what the Guideline says:

7. Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

Under that section, there is a graphic that shows examples of acceptable and unacceptable cache placements.

By placing caches well below the minimum distance, you don't give the reviewer much wiggle room.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Tricky things those guidelines.

It seems that you stumbled over one of the few that are most nearly "sacrosanct". Exceptions can be made, but it is only in the case of exceptional circumstances -- and those exceptions are extremely rare. It is very difficult (indeed) to have such an exception granted.

In that you didn't mention such, I fear you must follow the guidelines and it is quite clear the distance spacing between physical stages is a minimum of 528 ft/161 meters. "About" is a word not found in that particular guideline.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The OP has had caches published in the past.

Did the saturation guideline not come up with those?

B.

I didn't have placement Issues with those (5 caches) that I posted a few years back, However I know for future and will be more careful when placing my caches :D

I'll Archive a couple and get the other two published. Thanks for all the replies.

P.s has it Always been >528ft or was it ever set at >500ft some years back ?

The Guideline has always been 528 ft or 0.10 miles or 161 m. as far as I know.

It would be a very difficult thing to change and then change back. The uproar would be deafening. The confusion and resulting chaos would be mind-boggling.

B.

It would be a very difficult thing to change and then change back. The uproar would be deafening. The confusion and resulting chaos would be mind-boggling.

B.

The Guidelines used to state that 528' was preferred in most cases, and folks were sometimes given exceptions. Even before that, there was no proximity guideline. As you linked, the distance is now mandatory.

At least 9 times you've checked these two boxes on the cache submission form:

I have read and agree to the Terms of Use Agreement.

I have read and understand the Cache Listing Requirements and Guidelines.

It seems odd that *now* you're asking about a fundamental guideline.

And it seems to take this topic out of the realm of "Getting Started".

B.

Yes m8, I get the point! I made a mistake and I'm here asking for advice on correcting my mistakes, yes I should have read and understood all the guidelines..

do you really need so many posts in this thread stating I mucked up and should have known... sigh!

Lesson learnt!

You can archive listings that you aren't going to reuse from the Navigation box. Archive is a log type. You'll still own the listing, but it will be quite obscure in a side bar on a page you'll likely never visit.

You can also save the cache listing and use it for a new hide in a different location. One reason to do this is so you don't have the "hide that never was" still assigned to your account. There's no time limit on how soon you have to rework the listing at a new location as long as you disable the listing (so it doesn't show up in the reviewer's queue as needing attention). Plus you get to keep the lower/older cache ID which some people seem to care about.

You can also save the cache listing and use it for a new hide in a different location. One reason to do this is so you don't have the "hide that never was" still assigned to your account. There's no time limit on how soon you have to rework the listing at a new location as long as you disable the listing (so it doesn't show up in the reviewer's queue as needing attention). Plus you get to keep the lower/older cache ID which some people seem to care about.

Not always true, I've had a couple of cache pages like that were archived for lack of activity.

B.

The Guidelines used to state that 528' was preferred in most cases, and folks were sometimes given exceptions. Even before that, there was no proximity guideline. As you linked, the distance is now mandatory.

Yes, there were exceptions made for ones with a significant difference in terrain, such as a paddle to and one on a walking trail. I noticed a rappelling cache less than 50 feet from a stage of a multi which was on a walking trail. They don't make those exceptions anymore because everyone started to expect them, and the extreme differences became less and less extreme. Two sides of a raging river became two sides of a tiny creek and so on. Other times 500 feet was allowed, but that was pushed also. It's 528 feet now in all circumstances. You could probably fudge the coords 12 feet max if the hide is obvious.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

B.

Yes, there were exceptions made for ones with a significant difference in terrain, such as a paddle to and one on a walking trail. I noticed a rappelling cache less than 50 feet from a stage of a multi which was on a walking trail. They don't make those exceptions anymore because everyone started to expect them, and the extreme differences became less and less extreme. Two sides of a raging river became two sides of a tiny creek and so on. Other times 500 feet was allowed, but that was pushed also. It's 528 feet now in all circumstances. You could probably fudge the coords 12 feet max if the hide is obvious.

Welllll, fairly recently I had a puzzle cache published that wasn't even 500' from the final of another cache because of the extreme terrain rule. In this case, you had to cross a creek and scale a fairly tall bluff to get to the other cache. So, they do still grant exceptions...just probably not often.

At least 9 times you've checked these two boxes on the cache submission form:

I have read and agree to the Terms of Use Agreement.

I have read and understand the Cache Listing Requirements and Guidelines.

It seems odd that *now* you're asking about a fundamental guideline.

And it seems to take this topic out of the realm of "Getting Started".

B.

Yes m8, I get the point! I made a mistake and I'm here asking for advice on correcting my mistakes, yes I should have read and understood all the guidelines..

do you really need so many posts in this thread stating I mucked up and should have known... sigh!

Lesson learnt!

Actually piling on while an infraction in Football is a favorite sport here. Mostly because people read the original post and maybe one or two following then give their reply unaware that 123 others have said the same thing.

Guideline states "7.Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart."

Should and "Must" or "are required to be" are two different animals and the reviewers should provide a little latitude. I understand the caches can't be right on top of another but if I have a minor league baseball stadium, 2 10ft brick walls and 3 chain link fences separating mine from another 50ft should be flexible.

Guideline states "7.Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart."

Should and "Must" or "are required to be" are two different animals and the reviewers should provide a little latitude. I understand the caches can't be right on top of another but if I have a minor league baseball stadium, 2 10ft brick walls and 3 chain link fences separating mine from another 50ft should be flexible.

The problem then becomes one of "You did it for so-and-so with 50', why not me? It's only 55'!" And then the next person asks for a 60' waiver, since it's *only* another 5'. Lather Rinse Repeat until caches are on top of one another. Where do you call it?

If they stick with 528' in all cases, the above scenario I describe is eliminated.

I had one reviewer grant me an exemption when my cache was around 500 feet from another one, but now I am dealing with a different reviewer that is taking issue with my cache because it is 514 feet from the posted parking coordinates of another cache even though the my cache is over 600 feet from the only physical element of the other cache (there is another issue as well but that's another story).

This cache is placed too close (514 feet) to a physical stage of an existing cache: (GC3VGER) Brace Yourself

BRACE Yourself is a puzzle cache that I have solved and found. The solved coords (and only physical element) are 698 feet from my desired location (according to Google Earth). The only other coordinates associated with the cache are parking coordinates that make mark public, on-street parking and those coordinates are 514 feet from my location.

Edited by Dr H0rrible
This cache is placed too close (514 feet) to a physical stage of an existing cache: (GC3VGER) Brace Yourself

BRACE Yourself is a puzzle cache that I have solved and found. The solved coords (and only physical element) are 698 feet from my desired location (according to Google Earth). The only other coordinates associated with the cache are parking coordinates that make mark public, on-street parking and those coordinates are 514 feet from my location.

If the *only* issue is the proximity to parking coordinates I would be writing to appeals@geocaching.com. There is no physical container associated with parking coordinate nor with bogus coordinates of puzzle cache. But I'm with Walt, we haven't heard page 4 yet.

B.

Ah, I understand. It's 516 feet now in "all" circumstances. :laughing:

It's possible that the hidden coordinates posted for the puzzle cache are not accurate, as to avoid proximity issues with another cache.

If the *only* issue is the proximity to parking coordinates I would be writing to appeals@geocaching.com. There is no physical container associated with parking coordinate nor with bogus coordinates of puzzle cache. But I'm with Walt, we haven't heard page 4 yet.

Well as I said previously, there was another issue, but I'm still waiting for a response from the reviewer

Well as I said previously, there was another issue, but I'm still waiting for a response from the reviewer

As an update, the reviewer did say that he inadvertently looked at the parking coords, so the proximity issue has been dealt with, but the other problem persists.