Android Netbook Compatability

Hi guys

I'm going camping in Padstow at the end of the month and will be Caching everyday and don't want to get home after and spend ages uploading and editing my field notes.

So I'm looking for the cheepest way of being able to do it at the end of everyday. My camp site has wireless but I don't have a laptop.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this:

http://dx.com/p/epc-705-7-lcd-android-4-0-netbook-w-rj45-wi-fi-camera-hdmi-sd-slot-black-163296?tc=GBP&utm_source=GoogleshoppingUK&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=163296&utm_campaign=1408&gclid=CNfmyJbGibgCFVMetAod2EcAXA

Would allow me to attach my Garmin Etex 10 and upload my field notes to the website.

Thanks

Hi guys

I'm going camping in Padstow at the end of the month and will be Caching everyday and don't want to get home after and spend ages uploading and editing my field notes.

So I'm looking for the cheepest way of being able to do it at the end of everyday. My camp site has wireless but I don't have a laptop.

http://dx.com/p/epc-705-7-lcd-android-4-0-netbook-w-rj45-wi-fi-camera-hdmi-sd-slot-black-163296?tc=GBP&utm_source=GoogleshoppingUK&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=163296&utm_campaign=1408&gclid=CNfmyJbGibgCFVMetAod2EcAXA

Would allow me to attach my Garmin Etex 10 and upload my field notes to the website.

Thanks

The specs list wireless capability (WLAN ) and two USB ports which I assume the etrex 10 uses to connect to computers. The only potential issue I can envisage is driver issues with the android OS. Hope fully someone who has experience of android can answer that issue.

Hi guys

Thanks

Well I don't use a Garmin (or Field Notes of any kind), and I haven't got one of these devices, but it looks as though it should work. It's running Android 4.0, so it should be able to read the Field Notes file from USB, if your Garmin works the same way as a USB memory stick does when you plug it in to a computer. I've got an Android tablet myself (an Asus Transformer), which works fine with normal memory sticks. It does have trouble reading from devices like my smartphone though. I think that the problem is that when you plug my phone into the USB port, the phone asks what mode you want it to use for the connection; the tablet is expecting to be able to read the device straight away, and gets confused waiting while the phone figures out how to connect. If your Garmin connects straight away when you plug it into a PC/Mac, and shows up the same way as a memory stick, then you ought to be OK.

That said, that tablet looks pretty low tech. The screen is small and low resolution, and from the reviews I don't think it's got a touch screen. You should be OK with a simple web browser and email, but it may be a bit low powered for some Android apps. The reviews look positive, but I guess you get what you pay for...

If you do get it, one app I would recommend is the ES File Explorer. This is a free file manager that you can use to copy files, rename them, and move them around your device (and do lots more). It may be helpful for finding the field notes file on your Garmin, making copies, and putting them somewhere the web browser can find them.

Hope this helps!