Event cache I organised

did you go to it?

I think events should be viewed a little differently then other caches. The purpose of an event is a social gathering of geocachers, whereas the purpose of a cache is to find something that someone else hid.

I went. Just a bit confused as to as the 'owner'/organiser if i should log or not

New school.

With physical caches, you don't log your own because the hunt theoretically offers no challenge - you know where it is. It's different from the situation other cachers face: they have to hunt.

With events, your experience is roughly the same as all the attendees: you were there, mingled, did whatever people do at events. Log it.

I see events and regular caches as two different animals. I would never log my own cache but would have no trouble logging "attended" at an event i might host. And no, i'm not looking to boost any numbers. It's a statement of fact,,, if i was there, then i attended.

...I feel you are getting credit for hosting it already...

I've read this before.

What 'credit'?

My credit rating did not improve when I hosted a CITO.

I've seen cases (any larger event) where the person who lists the event is just one of many actually involved in making it happen.

Why should the person listing the event be left out?

I suppose everyone helping make the event go as planned should not log it either?

What if I decide to jump in and help serving the baked beans...am I now one of the organizers and ineligible to log? :blink:

OTOH, I see people showing up early, not waiting until the appointed time, leaving before anyone get's there and logging an attended anyway... :lol:

On the event I attended this morning, the hosts posted an "attended" log. I think it's been that way with most events I've been to. I'm with the majority here. If you went to an event, whether you hosted it or not, you had the same experience as everyone else who attended.

guess I'ma little old school. I feel you are getting credit for hosting it already then why should you also get credit for attending. It would be like logging your own cache, but just like everything else in caching everyone plays different.

Piling onto the "it's OK to log" and that's always been the old school way :)

guess I'ma little old school. I feel you are getting credit for hosting it already then why should you also get credit for attending. It would be like logging your own cache, but just like everything else in caching everyone plays different.

Piling onto the "it's OK to log" and that's always been the old school way :)

Don't pile on too hard. :P If I'm not mistaken, BrianSnat has on many occasions opined that you shouldn't log your own events as attended. I'd file those two people under very small minority opinion though. :ph34r:

>My credit rating did not improve when I hosted a CITO.

YES it did.. you hidden number did go 1+ did it not ?

I guess it was meant sarcastic and referred to the rating of banks. Many old school cachers do not regard the counters for the number of found or hidden caches as a credit like type of thing.

Cezanne

You can't log it as Found...

If you attended, you can log it as Attended.

:laughing:

There used to be "find" logs for events, but Groundspeak changed it to the "attended" log to encourage people to stop logging finds for temporary caches multiple times on event pages, as logging a dozen attended for finding a dozen temp caches is silly. The change to "attend" was only to indicate that the log type was not supposed to be used for anything else but attending the event. This doesn't necessarily mean that you should log an attend for your own event, as you could always post a note saying it was a success and thanking everyone for attending. However most hosts usually log it with an attend log, although Miss Manners might say this is not proper geo etiquette. :P

I look at it like this: 1- I get credit for it on the hidden side of things; 2- if prizes are to be given out I'd be a pretty poor host if I won something that's intended for attendees; 3- I'd feel pretty silly thanking myself for hosting such a wonderful event. ;)

As AZcachemeister asked above,,, What credit? We're not really talking about any prize or credit here. In their basic form, found, dnf, and attended logs are nothing more than statements of fact.

As far as prizes for attendees,, you're the host. Simply keep your name out of the hat for any prize drawings.

And yes, i agree that i would not thank myself for hosting. But i sure don't mind thanking others for coming and writing something about the fun i had while i was at the event. It's also nice to keep my caching history straight with the facts. In this case, i both hosted and attended an event. ;)

I look at it like this: 1- I get credit for it on the hidden side of things; 2- if prizes are to be given out I'd be a pretty poor host if I won something that's intended for attendees; 3- I'd feel pretty silly thanking myself for hosting such a wonderful event. ;)

I don't understand all this "credit" stuff. You hosted and you attended an event. Why shouldn't the numbers in the tally sheet reflect that? Saying that you attended an event is not patting yourself on the back, and it's not getting double credit. As far as winning the raffle, it's kind of hard to do that if you're not holding a ticket.

I don't understand all this "credit" stuff. You hosted and you attended an event. Why shouldn't the numbers in the tally sheet reflect that? Saying that you attended an event is not patting yourself on the back, and it's not getting double credit. As far as winning the raffle, it's kind of hard to do that if you're not holding a ticket.

The error is in referring to the find count and the hidden count. The numbers that show up in you statistics are actually 1) the number of found it, attended, and photo taken logs that you have made and 2)the number of geocache listings that are owned by your account. If a cache is listing is adopted, the owner changes and the number of caches owned may go up or down and have nothing to do with who hid the cache.

Those who like to make up rules and look down at those who don't follow their imaginary rule have declared that you should not log a find, attended, or photo taken on a listing you own. They use words like "credit" as to imply that doing so is double counting something. I don't get it.

Add me those who will proudly wear the scarlett A for logging attended at an event which was listed under my account.

Edited by tozainamboku

Add me those who will proudly wear the scarlett A for logging attended at an event which was listed under my account.

On a field, sable, the letter A, Gules. Yes, I read that in college. And it was short enough that I really read it, and not just the cliff notes. Quite the Puritan reference, eh? :lol:

But really, there is no Scarlet letter, most people do it. The record shows I have only hosted one event on Geocaching.com (which I gleefully logged), but by the end of the month, I will have hosted 8 on another website. Which I also gleefully logged/will log as attended.

>My credit rating did not improve when I hosted a CITO.

YES it did.. you hidden number did go 1+ did it not ?

To take "getting credit" to absurdity...on one of the early large power trails there were several people involved in placing the caches. They all logged a found it on all 800 or so caches and justified it by claiming that, because only one account can be associated with the ownership a cache, they all couldn't "get credit" for the hides...so instead they all incremented their find count by 800 or so.

I always see the owner post an attended log. I think that makes sense, since one can go through the logs to see who was there without having to keep in mind who organized the event. And that practice happens to accommodate the unlikely case of someone organizing an event but then being unable to be there.

There used to be "find" logs for events, but Groundspeak changed it to the "attended" log to encourage people to stop logging finds for temporary caches multiple times on event pages, as logging a dozen attended for finding a dozen temp caches is silly. The change to "attend" was only to indicate that the log type was not supposed to be used for anything else but attending the event. This doesn't necessarily mean that you should log an attend for your own event, as you could always post a note saying it was a success and thanking everyone for attending. However most hosts usually log it with an attend log, although Miss Manners might say this is not proper geo etiquette. :P

I don't think Miss Manners is a cacher, so I wouldn't put much weight to her opinion... :anitongue::rolleyes:

Agreed. For us, it's like logging a find on a cache you placed. It adds to your find count just like a find on an ordinary cache, so why treat it different? Most don't see it this way however.

We held a CITO in April and everyone who 'attended' received the special souvenir. We didn't get one for being the event's host.

Tried to convince TPTB to also award it to the hosts, to no avail. The response was to 'just post an attended log and get the souvenir'.

Nope. Didn't do it.

On the event I attended this morning, the hosts posted an "attended" log. I think it's been that way with most events I've been to. I'm with the majority here. If you went to an event, whether you hosted it or not, you had the same experience as everyone else who attended.

Counter point:

If you went out to check on a cache that you placed previously, would you log a 'find'?

After all, you did go find it, didn't you?

:blink:

The error is in referring to the find count and the hidden count. The numbers that show up in you statistics are actually 1) the number of found it, attended, and photo taken logs that you have made and 2)the number of geocache listings that are owned by your account. If a cache is listing is adopted, the owner changes and the number of caches owned may go up or down and have nothing to do with who hid the cache.

Those who like to make up rules and look down at those who don't follow their imaginary rule have declared that you should not log a find, attended, or photo taken on a listing you own. They use words like "credit" as to imply that doing so is double counting something. I don't get it.

I think I'm going to take issue with your insinuations here tozainamboku. You seem to seek to belittle people who play the game differently than you while at the same time implying that you are defending peoples right to play the game how they want. How would you, or anyone else who's having an issue with the word 'credit', like it to be said? what term would you have one use? When I use it as I have here I am using it with this meaning: 'An acknowledgment of work done'. To imply that by using that word I, or anyone else using it, is 'making up rules' or 'looking down our noses' is wrong. A question was asked and I answered it as to how I see it and what I do. I never disparaged anyone who does it differently.

It always amazes me how different we human beings think. What's black and white to me, is confusing for others. Of course, the opposite is sometimes true as well.

Here are a few words used with geocaching,,,,,

Will attend = i will be at the event

Attended = i was present at the event

Find = verb: to locate, attain, or obtain a cache by search or effort.

Find = noun: the geocache that a i found after i performed the search.

DNF = did not find

I think there would be less confusion if we would quit trying to justify everything and just go along with the basic meanings of these words and acronyms.

On topic with this thread. An attended log means one thing, that the cacher posting it was present at an event. In my opinion, it is simply a statement of fact and has nothing to do with any other aspect of geocaching.

I don't think Miss Manners is a cacher, so I wouldn't put much weight to her opinion... :anitongue::rolleyes:

How could you know that for sure? :P

She would probably say that events shouldn't count at all, as they are not geocaches, but since they are listed as geocaches, there is no reason for the host to basically "find their own cache", as there is always the "write note" option available. But in the end, does it really matter? The OP attended their own event last week and has moved on to other things. :D

How could you know that for sure? :P

She would probably say that events shouldn't count at all, as they are not geocaches, but since they are listed as geocaches, there is no reason for the host to basically "find their own cache", as there is always the "write note" option available.

She would probably say "There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find." :antenna: