I am the judge, the jury and the executioner.

Roman!

Due to a misposted thread, a work trip and some dumb luck I got to visit and critique one of mr.yuk's caches, he got two thumbs up.

Due to another work trip to Toronto I have a plan to drive back to Vancouver via Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington.

My question is: who's cache should I judge next?

Here is a link for my route: I am willing to go 2 hours or so off route for I am the judge, the jury and the executioner.

Whoever posts the cache for me to judge that I select I will send a geocoin, don't know yet which one, as well as whoever's cache I judge I will send one too. The person I judge must be fairly active on the forums.

Edited by Roman!

Glad you're not coming through RI.

Oh, it wasn't so bad. :laughing: On my very high traffic (614 visits) cache, I had visions of him finding it poorly hidden by n00bs, full of geojunk, and finding garbage washed up along the Niagara River shore (which happens, hey, it all flows from Lake Superior, and points east). But I was good. My only regret wasn't following my "own thread" fast enough, and not driving up there to meet him (10.7 miles from my home coordinates). So if you're giving away Geocoins, does that mean I get to go up there and grab one of the two Roman! Pathtags you put in my cache? :lol:

PICK ME!

PICK ME!

PICK ME!

Looking Back: Our First Anniversary

Already pondered that but you're just a bit too far south. I was in Arizona in January and I'm sure I will be back and this judging forum members just may become a hobby;)

Oh, it wasn't so bad. :laughing: On my very high traffic (614 visits) cache, I had visions of him finding it poorly hidden by n00bs, full of geojunk, and finding garbage washed up along the Niagara River shore (which happens, hey, it all flows from Lake Superior, and points east). But I was good. My only regret wasn't following my "own thread" fast enough, and not driving up there to meet him (10.7 miles from my home coordinates). So if you're giving away Geocoins, does that mean I get to go up there and grab one of the two Roman! Pathtags you put in my cache? :lol:

Yes, That is actually why I left 2 of them.

Edited by Roman!

You realize you'll be driving near one of the oldest and longest surviving caches? GC28 would only add 6km of driving to your trip. I don't know if it stands out as a miraculous cache, but it sure is neat to see how they were done back in 2000.

Yes, thank you, I will definitely stop there.

While I would be pleased if a forum regular would find one of my caches, I don't really need someone to critique them. I'm satisfied with all my hides,(the few I have.) and hope that everyone who finds one likes it.

However, the idea of looking for and finding caches hidden by those I see posting here regularly does sound fun. When I travel, I would go out my way to find one. :)

Just not keen on his self proclaimed "judge/jury/executioner" thing. Kinda pompous in my opinion.

While I would be pleased if a forum regular would find one of my caches, I don't really need someone to critique them. I'm satisfied with all my hides,(the few I have.) and hope that everyone who finds one likes it.

However, the idea of looking for and finding caches hidden by those I see posting here regularly does sound fun. When I travel, I would go out my way to find one. :)

Yes, it is interesting to find the caches of Forum posters. Check me out, I've found a cache placed by Keystone. I even gave it a favorite point. :ph34r: I was going to find a BrianSnat cache (placed in memory of a deceased cacher), but the wife wouldn't let me on the way home from New York City. I've actually spent a lot of time in Central New Jersey, but Snat is a little north, and I've never found one of his caches.

I have two earthcaches, and I can remember about 4-5 people over the years when sending the answers to me saying they knew me from my forum posts. Those were people who said they mostly agree with me though. I'm sure many who think I'm an asshat just don't say anything. :unsure:

Just not keen on his self proclaimed "judge/jury/executioner" thing. Kinda pompous in my opinion.

Last I checked this was the internet and people do post catchy titles for their threads but if you think I am irritatingly grand I might suggest you hop on over to The Drunken Clam for a beer or two and lighten up, you'll live longer.

It's a shame you're not coming to Florida. I'd be glad to put out a couple of LPC's and a film can or two in the woods in your honor. I might even put in a game camera so I could capture the look on your face when you sign the logs.:laughing:

If you are trying to use me for an excuse to place a crappy cache go right ahead but rest assured I won't be finding it.

Go ahead and pick one of mine if you want. I'm on the southside of Chicago and you'll have to pass very near according to your route. I'll even go a step further and offer to meetup with you if possible. :)

I think I have my victim, I mean target.

I am having a challenge figuring out how to get a car to drive from Toronto to Vancouver, rental companies seem to want $2-3000 as a returning fee on top of the rental, I am willing to pay up to $1000.

There are companies that give you a car to transport but I can't get a commitment until 2 weeks before or a fixed date.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them.

Last I checked this was the internet and people do post catchy titles for their threads but if you think I am irritatingly grand I might suggest you hop on over to The Drunken Clam for a beer or two and lighten up, you'll live longer.

In your post: "My question is: who's cache should I judge next?"

I don't need people coming to Little Rhody specifically to "judge" my caches. Especially not you.

I don't need people coming to Little Rhody specifically to "judge" my caches. Especially not you.

I am even more convinced now that you could use a beer or six.

I think you have the route backwards, he's going Toronto to Vancouver. Ah yes, Tomah, Wisconsin. Been there 3 times (Ft. McCoy). Too bad he's going to miss Sparta, eh? :laughing:

Oops, you're right. I wondered why he was listing Washington as the last state on his list...as for Sparta, I wouldn't know. I think I've driven through there going to La Crosse.

I think it's neat when you find a cache hidden by a forum regular. The only ones that I can recall were caches hidden by Gitchee-Gummee up near the Pictured Rocks area in the U.P.

I also found a cache or two in Iowa that had BlueDeuce's name in the log.

I think you have the route backwards, he's going Toronto to Vancouver. Ah yes, Tomah, Wisconsin. Been there 3 times (Ft. McCoy). Too bad he's going to miss Sparta, eh? :laughing:

Oops, you're right. I wondered why he was listing Washington as the last state on his list...as for Sparta, I wouldn't know. I think I've driven through there going to La Crosse.

I think it's neat when you find a cache hidden by a forum regular. The only ones that I can recall were caches hidden by Gitchee-Gummee up near the Pictured Rocks area in the U.P.

I also found a cache or two in Iowa that had BlueDeuce's name in the log.

Ft. McCoy sits smack in the middle of Sparta and Tomah, so I've been to both. One of those cities has a strip club in the basement of a bowling alley, although I can't remember which one. Not that I personally have ever been to this establishment. :ph34r:

EDIT: I'm leaning towards Sparta. And by the way, the ticks at Ft. McCoy are like something out of a horror movie. You can't spend more than 10 minutes in the woods without getting a tick on you.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I am even more convinced now that you could use a beer or six.

No thanks, I'm good.

Go ahead and pick one of mine if you want. I'm on the southside of Chicago and you'll have to pass very near according to your route. I'll even go a step further and offer to meetup with you if possible. :)

Hey COD take him to Beverly and Dutch Clogs

The only cache more over-rated than Beverly is Mingo :ph34r:

The 2000 placed cache in extreme NW Pennsylvania isn't all that great either. Then again, I did drop a favorites point on it. :P

Hey, while in Minnesota, doesn't he need to find a King Boreas cache? How about a KnowsChad cache? :lol:

The 2000 placed cache in extreme NW Pennsylvania isn't all that great either. Then again, I did drop a favorites point on it. :P

Hey, while in Minnesota, doesn't he need to find a King Boreas cache? How about a KnowsChad cache? :lol:

+1 on finding a King Boreas cache. He held the record for most hides for a long time, though with the rampant proliferation of power trails, he may not hold that title any longer. When I was in Minneapolis I found one of his caches, and dropped in a KB tribute coin that I picked up in NY that had never even been to MN.

I'm not too sure about this whole judging thing, but a worthwhile detour would be through Glacier National Park on the Going to the Sun road. Not a lot of caches, but seven virtuals that take up seven of the top ten spots for the most Favorited caches in Montana.

perhaps you'd enjoy a sidetrip to catch two of NW Ohio oldest caches, both located about an hours drive south either from Detroit using I75 or from Ann Arbor, using 23S off I94...

GC3EF...NovaNikki- both are "old School" - GC2DBE...Ancient Lake

As I need a January 2001 cache i'll will give ancient lake a go, we decided to go to Niagara and then drive to Chicago south of Lake Erie, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not too sure about this whole judging thing, but a worthwhile detour would be through Glacier National Park on the Going to the Sun road. Not a lot of caches, but seven virtuals that take up seven of the top ten spots for the most Favorited caches in Montana.

That looks very cool but it just wont fit into the schedule but somewhere I might go in the future. Thanks.

Found a cheap car rental, flights are booked and I'm just working out the details with corp of discovery, will be meeting up August 15th to do one of his caches and then Beverly.

IMHO my two best threads are this one and I'm a better geocacher than you! both are making geocaching so much more fun. Who knows, instead of collecting souvenirs or racking up caches I might start collecting forum regular cache visits, someone just has to create a stat site for that.

One of these days I'll find one of yours. A few years back I solved a puzzle but didn't get close enough to it. I visit Seekonk every few months but they are non cachers. and you know how they can be :rolleyes:

perhaps you'd enjoy a sidetrip to catch two of NW Ohio oldest caches, both located about an hours drive south either from Detroit using I75 or from Ann Arbor, using 23S off I94...

GC3EF...NovaNikki- both are "old School" - GC2DBE...Ancient Lake

As I need a January 2001 cache i'll will give ancient lake a go, we decided to go to Niagara and then drive to Chicago south of Lake Erie, thanks for the recommendation.

You might want to read the NovaNikki cache page first, which explains how Ancient Lake is a fraud, and wasn't really placed in Janunary 2001. It was really placed in December 2001, and has an obvious typo in the date placed field. Nothing sinister going on there, just a typo that the cache owner is never going to fix. That doesn't stop people from driving hundreds of miles out of their way to make geo-pilgrimages to it though. :ph34r:

Psst. Quahog isn't real. Although that really is the Providence skyline behind the Griffin residence on Spooner Street. I wouldn't doubt some Rhode Island entrepreneur has named his bar the Drunken Clam though. :lol:

I like Roman's idea. Well not necessarily the whole judging thing, I'm indifferent on that. I understand that's just his little gimmick, but the concept is pretty cool. Tell people where you're going and ask them to list their interesting & worthwhile caches along the way. It seems like a good way to find some good ones along a route that you might otherwise drive right by.

So you're kind of like a Geocaching.com forum poster groupie?

Personally I think it's silly to put someone on a Geocaching pedestal simply because they spend a lot of time posting in the forum. But whatever floats your boat.

I like Roman's idea. Well not necessarily the whole judging thing, I'm indifferent on that. I understand that's just his little gimmick, but the concept is pretty cool. Tell people where you're going and ask them to list their interesting & worthwhile caches along the way. It seems like a good way to find some good ones along a route that you might otherwise drive right by.

So you're kind of like a Geocaching.com forum poster groupie?

Personally I think it's silly to put someone on a Geocaching pedestal simply because they spend a lot of time posting in the forum. But whatever floats your boat.

Not a poster groupie, but someone who feels a bit of kinship with those who post on here.

I don't put anyone on a Geocaching pedestal just because they post in the forums. That idea is silly.

However, I do like finding a cache by someone I have met, either in person, or on the forums. Geocaching is what we have in common, and that seems to be one way to connect.

You really need to quit over analyzing things, especially on the forums. :)

Wow. I just reread your post and have to ask. How is

" Tell people where you're going and ask them to list their interesting & worthwhile caches along the way. It seems like a good way to find some good ones along a route that you might otherwise drive right by."

any different than, "However, the idea of looking for and finding caches hidden by those I see posting here regularly does sound fun. When I travel, I would go out my way to find one."

Sounds like you were saying the same thing I was only worded a little different. Your not a forum poster groupie are you? :blink::) :)

You might want to read the NovaNikki cache page first, which explains how Ancient Lake is a fraud, and wasn't really placed in Janunary 2001. It was really placed in December 2001, and has an obvious typo in the date placed field. Nothing sinister going on there, just a typo that the cache owner is never going to fix. That doesn't stop people from driving hundreds of miles out of their way to make geo-pilgrimages to it though. :ph34r:

Hmmm, that kinda sucks, to me it looks like it was place in 10/01 instead of 01/01 but either way it is not correct, Thanks for that info.

Hmmm, that kinda sucks, to me it looks like it was place in 10/01 instead of 01/01 but either way it is not correct, Thanks for that info.

Well, the date says what the date says, and people drive hundreds of miles out of their way to use it for a January, 2001 Jasmer find, so whatever floats their boat. Most people, I doubt are even aware of the controversy. It's just that the cache owner, for whatever reason, refuses to change his typo. Unless of course you want to believe he hiked out in the woods on a Tuesday in January, and left a cache sitting there for 11 months and one day before joining Geocaching.com, and submitting it. :P

In addition to NovaNikki, the REAL oldest active cache in Ohio has a cache page that mentions the fraudulent placed date on Ancient Lake. Which is not only beloved for it's rare January 2001 placed date for Jasmer, but also holds the phony title of oldest active cache in Ohio.

Well, the date says what the date says, and people drive hundreds of miles out of their way to use it for a January, 2001 Jasmer find, so whatever floats their boat. Most people, I doubt are even aware of the controversy. It's just that the cache owner, for whatever reason, refuses to change his typo. Unless of course you want to believe he hiked out in the woods on a Tuesday in January, and left a cache sitting there for 11 months and one day before joining Geocaching.com, and submitting it. :P

In addition to NovaNikki, the REAL oldest active cache in Ohio has a cache page that mentions the fraudulent placed date on Ancient Lake. Which is not only beloved for it's rare January 2001 placed date for Jasmer, but also holds the phony title of oldest active cache in Ohio.

We had one like that around here, until one of the Reviewer/Lackey changed the date to the orginal hide date.

We had one like that around here, until one of the Reviewer/Lackey changed the date to the orginal hide date.

Oh boy, that would be brutal if that happened. All the people fawning over their prized January 2001 find, and finding the allegedly "oldest active cache in Ohio". By the way, I'm familiar with this situation since I live about 350 miles away, and own a 2001 mini-Jasmer challenge. The other available January 2001 caches are in Massachusetts about the same distance away in the opposite direction. :P I'm thinking this guy has to be seeing these two caches with write-ups dissing his placement date and obvious typo, and will eventually do the right thing. Hasn't happened yet though.