List of common caching phrases in French logs?

wandering4cache

Preparing for trip to Quebec. To save me some translation work, does anyone have a list of common geocaching phrases in French logs? I can only find lists in English. My iPhone will not have an international data plan, so using apps or web to translate will be out of the question. I am translating some caches before I travel, but having some log phrases will help too.

thank you.

Geocachers in QC are a friendly close-knit dedicated group who do a few things a little differently as we have learned on the many trips we have taken from New Brunswick to Gatineau. (One such trip took us 21 days to do the 800 miles). We have met a number of the great cachers at QC events and some of them have come down to our events.

Every part of the world has different caching habits and traditions and this is also true in QC. For example they often show the time of day in their logs. I got in trouble in QC for emptying a TB prison, because many cachers in QC like to have an even exchange of TB`s from TB Hotels. I have continued to empty them on our trips.

The entire province of QC is covered in bike trails which are maintained by the Dept of transport. A bike will get you lots of caches.

In QC, such terms as TB and geocoin and events are usually not translated likely because they are Groundspeak terms but you may see them translated in logs.

MPLC merci pour la cache ** TFTC

PAT premier à trouver ** FTF

DAT deuxième à trouver ** STF second to find

TAT troisième à trouver ** TTF third to find

mystère ** puzzle

Edited by Ma & Pa

How about words in logs that might be hints for me when I won't have internet access to translate?

I can use google translate to translate these, but they might not be accurate Quebec translations.

Words like:

magnetic

nano

film canister

bison tube

key case

lock & lock

ammo can

(others?)

(any other cache types unique in Quebec?)

park bench

lamp post

guard rail

chain link fence

wrought iron fence

pile of sticks

eye level

winter friendly

(others?)

evil / tricky / devious

TNLN / took nothing left nothing

SL / signed log

TB / travel bug

DNF / did not find

missing

I've already learned found & found easily. Trouvee & trouvee facilement?

Can you think of others that may be in logs that might help me when finding the cache? Thanks.

Edited by wandering4cache

Des palourdes morte.....😋

LOL, that one I knew about because we have been around since 2002, but I have never seen it used. Do they actually use it? I don't want to start any international caching wars. :P

I don't know if anyone is still using it but I'm tempted to on many occasions 😗

I'm from Quebec and can help you.

magnetic = magnétique

nano = nano

film canister = boîte de film

bison tube = tube bison

key case = étui à clé

lock & lock = lock & lock or Tupperware

ammo can = ammo can or boîte ammo

(others?)

(any other cache types unique in Quebec?)

park bench = banc de parc

lamp post = lampadaire

guard rail = rambarde

chain link fence = cloture

wrought iron fence = cloture

pile of sticks

eye level = niveau des yeux

winter friendly = hivernale or non hivernale for non winter friendly

(others?)

evil / tricky / devious

TNLN / took nothing left nothing = RPRL for Rien pris, rien laissé

SL / signed log == SL

TB / travel bug = TB

DNF / did not find = DNF

missing

This is a very interesting thread! Good info. I haven't been in Quebec in the 10 yeas I've been caching, but I will go again some day. I just have comments to a couple quotes.

Des palourdes morte.....😋

LOL, that one I knew about because we have been around since 2002, but I have never seen it used. Do they actually use it? I don't want to start any international caching wars. :P

Been around almost as long, and I'm of the opinion it's a joke that can be traced back to BrianSnat, and no one ever actually used it. You know, like no one ever did Hamster caching, another (this one to me not funny) old time forum gag.

Every part of the world has different caching habits and traditions and this is also true in QC. For example they often show the time of day in their logs. I got in trouble in QC for emptying a TB prison, because many cachers in QC like to have an even exchange of TB`s from TB Hotels. I have continued to empty them on our trips.

I could see there being regions where TB prison's are popular, and most of the general caching populace thinks you should always "trade" for TB's. They would be absolutely, positively 100% WRONG in their thinking, but I could see it. :lol: Any recent TB prisons? They were supposed to be outlawed as an ALR when ALR's were eliminated, but I've seen dozens still slip through.

Bonjour de Montréal! I can do my part to add to maxpro's translation:

(any other cache types unique in Quebec?) = the majority should be off the ground (because we like to geocache right through winter)

wrought iron fence = clôture en fer, clôture en métal

pile of sticks = teepee, tipi (but they are very rare)

(others?) = a "fakir" or "pour un fakir" is a container hidden in a needle tree (pine, fir, etc)

evil / tricky / devious = difficile, machiavélique

SL / signed log = SJ / signé journal de bord

TB / travel bug = TB / voyageur

DNF / did not find = DNF / pas trouvée

Write in your log that you are a geo-tourist and the town/state that you call home. We love that and most of us will greet you in response. And do bring your bike :-)

When you do not find the container, a short "Ah zut, pas trouvé" (ah darn, not found) will do just fine and the Traité de Paris will be secure.

Have a great time!

Thank you for all the replies. Forgot to mention that we are going to the Mega Event in Quebec City over Labor Day weekend. Several of us from New England (MA, NH & ME mostly) coming to visit.

My grandparents & other relatives were from Montreal so I used to hear French when I was little, but not so much now as they are all gone.

I gave my husband who is not the least bit french, a sample of Quebec road signs so he won't be in complete shock once we cross the border. :laughing: It also made me realize I needed to brush up on days of the week & months as some "no parking" signs we found online were for certain days in certain months. This is going to be fun!!!!! :rolleyes: We will try to be good tourists & not drive badly as we try to translate the signs. fingers crossed for no tickets.

Just stay clear of any license plates from USA with a TB on the back. It might be us. :blink:

My parents have been thinking of places to tell us to visit. And I was quizzing them on their rusty French with signs & geocaching logs. :anitongue: My mom did well since she didn't need to start speaking English until she was 13 even though she was born in USA. She is 81.

Edited by wandering4cache