Waterfall Caches

Dub.

I didn't see a thread dedicated to caches near waterfalls or caches that require you to pass by a waterfall so I decided to start one!

The second cache I ever went looking for held a big surprise for me (and it wasn't the cache that held the surprise). It required that I park off of Hayden Run Rd., a road that I have driven on 100's of times. Then to reach the cache you had to walk down to the river and then follow a creek. After walking about 100 yards I came around a bend in the creek and BAM! There it was! A huge, gorgeous waterfall--hidden in the heart of the city (well, not exactly the heart but within the inner belt of the city's interstate).

I couldn't believe it. How many times had I driven past this waterfall and not known it was there, hiding, waiting for me to discover it?

If I wasn't a geocacher, I might have never found this waterfall.

So, I dedicate this thread to sharing pictures of waterfalls near caches.

Share your pictures and your stories!

Here is mine: http://jeremy.qn.net/geocaching/waterfall.htm

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying that we should remove all the warning labels from everything and let the problem take care of itself.

[This message was edited by wvabackpacker on June 18, 2003 at 11:32 PM.]

Here in the Pacific NW, Dan and Janet have a great series of 6 waterfall caches in Southwest Washington. Check out their 'WaSucally' series (Chinook Indian for 'sound of rushing water'. Hubby and I did all of them last Sunday, accessible only by forest service roads (a really nice loop that took a few hours) Here is WaSucally: Dougan Falls to get you started. Check out the photos for each page, they are gorgeous and really make you want to go!

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Here´s a soon to be placed multicache in one of Austrias canyons.

The cache has been already hidden there, but I´ll visit it again soon to recheck the coordinates and to see if my hiding places were safe from high water.

Jump near one of the multicache-stages

Rappel over a waterfall near the final stage

Close up

There are about 10 waterfalls between 5 and 15m height in this canyon and you can jump or rappel down each. The difficulty of the cache will be 5* obviously, but I´ll put a logbook in each of the multistages so visitors can log a find even if they didn´t get to the final location.

There are a ton of falls caches in Washington state. They are my favorite! I found one that's a bit like the one you found in that we never in a million years would have known of its existance if it weren't for Geocaching.

It was this one.

There was no trail to this cache and there were many falls to enjoy on the way up.

OG

1382462_200.JPG

1382462_300.JPG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

It would be cool if one was at Dunns River Falls in Jamaca mon! We walked up them a couple of years ago and had a BLAST! The sight is too popular with the tourists and is alway's crowded so I guess it wouldn't work. Besides, I can see the logbook now...Took mctoy left ganja!

icon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Also a veteran of Dunns River Falls, October '99. Unfortunately, I couldn't escape without buying a shotglass.

Michigan's lower penninsula is sorely lacking in waterfalls. A couple years ago I visited Ocqueoc Falls near Rogers City (which is quite a ways up in the LP), the largest falls in the lower penninsula, and the only one that's named. That's what passes for a waterfall here.

ocqueoc.jpg

I picked one with a fisherman for scale. You could innertube this falls safely, if it wasn't so shallow.

The UP has some very nice ones, OTOH.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on June 20, 2003 at 11:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

This one is in Maine it is a beautiful place..

I have to agree with Natureboy. To this day Jammer is our favorite cache because of this waterfall and the adventure we had getting to it. Here's a picture:

84986_300.jpg

and our log.

[This message was edited by Sea_Dog on July 02, 2003 at 08:19 AM.]

The "The Sand Boils" in Hampshire, UK.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=34611

(haven't figured out this weblink yet!) icon_confused.gif

Not a waterfall, but the source of the River Hamble. The stream starts with a freshwater upwelling, looks like a creature is trying to climb out from under the sand! I have never seen anything like this elsewhere

This message may have been posted by Hydroman or his wife. If it is pedantic it is the former!!

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

A fine word that "pedantic" icon_smile.gif

I was puzzled by something on that cache page, Hydro. What does (10p/1 hour, 50p/2 hours) mean?

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

Quite simply, not being pedantic. Car parking charges. Tenpence(10p) equals about 16 cents at todays rates.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

quote:
Quite simply, not being pedantic. Car parking charges. Tenpence(10p) equals about 16 cents at todays rates.

Adrianjohn - got it in one !

Sounds as though as if you paid two 10p's up front, you'd get a better deal! I'll have to go visit to check that one out. We did it on a sunday - parking was free.

====================================================================================================

This message may have been posted by Hydroman or his wife. If it is pedantic it is the former!

(Hydroman's hands well and truly rapped)

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Here in the Pacific NW, Dan and Janet have a great series of 6 waterfall caches in Southwest Washington. Check out their 'WaSucally' series (Chinook Indian for 'sound of rushing water'. Hubby and I did all of them last Sunday, accessible only by forest service roads (a really nice loop that took a few hours) Here is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=66701 to get you started. Check out the photos for each page, they are gorgeous and really make you want to go!

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Only one of their waterfall series I've done so far...awesome! They sure know how to put them out. The falls reminded me of oen of the Lewis River Falls where we used to camp.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I discovered a beautiful magazine ad quality falls back of Trout Lake, Washington. I'm still mulling whether I really want to put a cache there as it's fairly close to a secret camping spot I know about. Thinking of naming it Evergreenhiker Falls...looking into how to go about that. I camcorded the falls and will see if I can get around to getting a frame converted to post.