Category proposal: family history research centers and archives

Hi again community!

I know I've thought of a couple recently, and they've all somewhat already been covered in other categories. I hope I'm not annoying everyone by constantly bring new ones up.

I did do a good bit of searching and I couldn't find much that might cover this category. The closest I could come up with is this:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBDEQ

That waymark is a library.

There is a lot of places to do genealogy research, and most of the would not really be considered libraries. In fact I'd say there might be thousands of them around the world. This category is for facilities with the specific purpose of genealogy research (or archives), not just places that it can be done as a secondary function of the facility (like an Internet cafe, regular library, etc)

So if anyone is interested, Here is a group

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, recommendations or alternate category's that would fit this, please let me know. I welcome all comments.

Ben - The Talent

We've been talking about archives here two months ago. There is already a group for it, although enrollment is still closed. I like the idea, but I think the one who came first, should have precedence.

@lumbricus: Do you want to move on with it?

It seems like you have something specific in mind, so how would you define your "places to do geneology research" so that waymarkers can clearly decide which category the location belongs in?

For example, there are libraries with geneology sections which fit in the libraries category. I even posted one myself. See WMDZZE, Thomasville Genealogical, History & Fine Arts Library - Thomasville, Georgia http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDZZE_Thomasville_Genealogical_History_Fine_Arts_Library_Thomasville_Georgia.

David

It seems like you have something specific in mind, so how would you define your "places to do geneology research" so that waymarkers can clearly decide which category the location belongs in?

For example, there are libraries with geneology sections which fit in the libraries category. I even posted one myself. See WMDZZE, Thomasville Genealogical, History & Fine Arts Library - Thomasville, Georgia http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDZZE_Thomasville_Genealogical_History_Fine_Arts_Library_Thomasville_Georgia.

David

There are many centers around the world that are specifically for the purpose. I know the Mormon church operate a lot of centers, like the one in the link but not quite to the extent of a library.

I guess the requirement would be that the primary purpose of the center is for genealogy.

Archives are collections of documents, often unique copies. They are an important resource for scientific research in the fields of history, political and social sciences and many more. Archives are the memory of our societies, that makes them intersting and important, not only from the point of view of a waymarker.

I am looking forward to have a category for public archives from federal down to municipal or parish level and all the other ones.

Please, don't have a focus on genealogy! Genealogy is great, but only a tiny facette of the whole picture. This restriction would do harm to a great idea. A larger scope would not change anything for the ones solely inerested in genealogy, but much better for everyone else.

Archives are collections of documents, often unique copies. They are an important resource for scientific research in the fields of history, political and social sciences and many more. Archives are the memory of our societies, that makes them intersting and important, not only from the point of view of a waymarker.

I am looking forward to have a category for public archives from federal down to municipal or parish level and all the other ones.

Please, don't have a focus on genealogy! Genealogy is great, but only a tiny facette of the whole picture. This restriction would do harm to a great idea. A larger scope would not change anything for the ones solely inerested in genealogy, but much better for everyone else.

Ok I'm in agreance with that. No to the archives - just genealogy research centers, defined as centers with a specific primary purpose of genealogy. Is anyone interested in to going ahead with that idea? Does it sound like a category that might be useful? Does anyone want to offer further suggestions? I'm keen to hear what people think about this idea.

Hi The Talent,

have you read this thread?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=309659

Regards,

-lumbricus

That discussion clarified a lot of points on this topic. I guess I must have missed the inclusion of genealogy centers into the archive or library category. I'm keen to see where the archive category definition leads to. It seem like an interesting topic.

I'll be posting a question in the other thread also :)

Can't we just expand my historical society category to include this?

This is not an easy question. The existing category could be expanded to include the genealogical centers, I guess; at least some or even most of them. But there is no way to do this for larger general archives that are often managed by governmental bodies, without creating a real mess.

When we assume an archive category an archive category is created and passes peer review, which is not sure yet, then family history research centers fit better into the new category in my opinion.

I suppose it's the best to wait until we know more. If there will be no archive category, then at least some of those could find an appropriate home in your category.