HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA ........ Eh! – A COINTEST

kini_ont

36de526b-f0c4-40bd-bf45-2c3b2b2188ef.jpg

It’s the Canada Day Long Weekend (some may even take an extra long weekend) and what better way to celebrate than to hold a cointest to celebrate Canada’s 146 years.

a35ef061-bdcc-4cb0-968d-40b0c063eebc.jpg

Simple rules:

• You must post about Canada (any fact, picture, story, jokes (be careful, family type) etc.) but you must start or finish with an “Eh” (That will make you all honorary Canadians this weekend)

• No duplication of posts but you may expand on a previous post

• You must allow 146 minutes between posts, now why did I pick 146 minutes

• The cointest runs starting “Now” and ends July 1st 24:00 hrs EDT (GMT 05:00)

• Winning posts will be chosen by random number picker but posts without the “Eh” are disqualified

• No disputes, I will determine the number of winners and geocoin’s won, the more players ... well we’ll see but at least one will be a Canadian Geocoin

f5b925d5-2f1a-4956-a409-7c4cc9f9a484.jpg

Eh, we just finished watching Bob and Doug Mackenzie and I went to grab some more Molson Canadian from the snowbank before the Oilers at the Flames came on Hockey Night in Canada eh. So's my buddy from the Rock (Newfoundland) left a mickey of Canadian Club on the floor and I tripped on it eh. Well the two-four hit him in the leg eh, and he spilled his poutine and my Kraft Dinner all over the chesterfield eh. Well Lord tunderin Jesus I was mad, and yelled at 'im for wrecking my chesterfield.

"Well," he replies, "I'm sorry. I'll get er repaired right away. Where'd you get that to so's I can take it in."

"Well I got her at the Home Hardware store off of the Number One"(the TransCanada Highway for our southern friends)

You know what....This is just as much Canadian crap as I can fit in eh. How about a joke, might be easier to read, eh.

So these aliens come to earth, and the decide to study the human brain in action. The find this Newfie (Person from Newfoundland) in his little boat. They don't know any better so they think he represents the average human. The listen in on their parabolic laser beams and hear him singing.

"Row row row your boat...."

And they wonder what happens if they take away half his brain, so they zap it, and listen in again as he goes on with a half brain.

"...Gently down the stream...."

Well the aliens figure this guy must be a genius to lose half his brain and act like nothing happened. So they zap him again and listen while he goes about with only a quarter brain.

"...Merrily merrily, life is but a dream..."

By now their thinking this guy's more intelligent then they ever could dream of so they zap his brain again, and this time, with only an eighth of his brain they listen in again.

"Je pense qu'ils devraient proscrire la langue anglaise. Nous devons séparer du Canada, mais encore utiliser leur argent. Ferme ta bouche. Mangez poutine."

It's a Quebec and Newfoundland joke, ya hosers. You don't like it take off, eh.

Edited by T.D.M.22

As a Canadian living in America, I've heard my fair share of Canada jokes from friends and co-workers. Apparently, the more tired I am, the more the accent comes out. I've even got some of my close friends saying "eh" at the end of their sentences now!

Still, even after being friends for 7 years, I still manage to confuse them. My top hits are:

* Saying that I'm sore-ree when I bump into them

* Asking if they like bah-sal on their pizza

* Telling them to undo the last computer action by hitting control zed

* Asking them where to find the washroom

And so on! What can you do, eh? I'm proud of my Canadian accent and don't intend to ever change! :laughing:

Edited by michepun

NoisyHiker#1 was born a Brooklyn boy but gave his heart to the fiercely-but-in-a-very-polite-way-Canadian NoisyHiker#2. And he had no qualms about moving to the great green North and becoming a Canadian citizen as soon as he was eligible.

The only discourse in their relationship came from the word "shmuck". In Canada, you can get shmucked (if you're passed out on the ice) by a zamboni. You can also be a shmuck, but in true Canadian style this term is about as severe as being called a nerd or a doofus. However, if you are raised Jewish in Brooklyn, "shmuck" is an obscenity that carries a lot of weight. Thus, it was slightly startling for NH#1 when he heard his loving wife shout out the window to their children as they played in the street: "Keep your heads up so you don't get shmucked by a car, eh?"

Eh!!! Happh birthday Canada!!! :D

thank you for the great cointest! :)

Fact... On November 2013 canada will release the last banknotes of the polymer series, the 5$ and the 10$...

they are amazing!!!! real beauties...

you can see them here! :)

http://www.banknotenews.com/files/bd7d21222ae7db2c6456dfed6d540b23-2552.php

Just be careful not to put them close to heat.... do not forget.. they are polymer! ;)

Eh! Happy Birthday Canada!

My family vacationed in Canada to see Niagara falls a few years ago. It was wonderful!! :)

I think my fondest memory is going on Lady of the Mist!! We were soaked! :laughing:

For those that don't know, Lady of the Mist is a boat that people can ride and it takes you very close to the falls. You were ponchos, but you still get soaked! Haha

Take off, eh!

You're all posting my ideas ya hoseheads!

First Bob and Doug (my current facebook profile photo), then Rush (who I will be seeing on July 14th).

Now what am I going to post aboot?

The first 'Canadian' born of European immigrants was Snorri (parents Thorfinn and Gudrid) and lived in Vinland (present day Newfoundland) around 1010 AD. eh.

During the courtship of NoisyHiker#1 (the American) and NoisyHiker#2 (the Canadian), there was much border crossing. After a few trips, the staff on the Canadian side thought it would be a good idea for NH#1 to have visitor visa. What official terminology did they use to state the reason for his frequent trips?

"To visit girlfriend and her kids."

Only in Canada, eh?

Eh, Canada and the Netherlands have a special relationship because it were the Canadian forces that led the liberation of the Netherlands at the end of WWII. My hometown Arnhem was liberated by the First Canadian Army. 9 months after the liberation of the Netherlands there were a lot of dutch newborns that had a Canadian daddy :-). Besides this historical relation Canada is also one of the countries where a lot of Dutch immigrants.

My favorite Canadian person is Ike Browlovski.

"Don't kick the baby".

(After reading this iback it sounds like a third grade school paper :-), i promise that my next post will be more like a sixth grade level paper. i just had a 15 hour car drive and am a bit tired )

Edited by Dofferson

Eh! Ok...I searched and found that Eh is similar to Excuse me??? Something came in my mind... that sounds funny...

so... if you accidently step on someone's foot in canada... you hear...

-Ahh...

-Eh....

and everything is ok without even speaking? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :P:blink:

Eh long time ago, in a country far, far away, there lived a people who decided to seek their fortune in the New World. What they got was a whole lotta harsh land, harsh weather and harsh living. But they stuck it out and formed the place we call Canada - a country that prides itself on endurance, determination and community. Happy Birthday, Canada! :D

Eh, We've always tried to visit Canada whenever we get close enough, and I've been to 7 of the provinces. Two years ago we took our summer trip to Canada. We drove from New Jersey and visited New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. We spent a week on PEI and absolutely loved it. Friendly, laid back people (and lots of caches!) made for one of the best vacations we've taken. If I had to pick somewhere outside the US to live PEI would be at the top of the list!

The Dutch royal family lived in Ottawa as exiles during World War II. After learning of Princess Juliana’s pregnancy, the Canadian government proclaimed Ottawa Civic Hospital’s maternity suite 'extraterritorial' so that the royal baby would have full Dutch citizenship. Otherwise, Princess Juliana’s child would not have had sole Dutch citizenship and could not legally succeed her.

To express her gratitude for Canada’s hospitality, Juliana donated 100,000 tulip bulbs to the City of Ottawa in 1945 and promised another 20,000 bulbs every year of her life. Her one request was that some of the flowers be allowed to bloom on the grounds of the Civic Hospital, where her daughter was born. Every year since, Ottawa hosts the popular Tulip Festival, which showcases nearly a million tulips in bloom across the region.

That's a lot of tulips, eh?

42ca5d08-120e-4d17-a129-001abeb8b383.jpg

Happy Birthday!

We (MO Pirate, sho me da cache, and GDH123)made it to Canada to cache as we traveled from our timeshare in Wisconsin across MN and up I-29 into Canada. We brought brother-in-law with us on the trip as his wife (my wfe's sister) had passed away. We did caching on our vacation week and decided to finish off the I-29 Challenge. So while finishing it (and getting that final) why not go on across the border? We did bring our passports! So here is our 146 minutes in Canada caching! Somehow I managed to smuggle 3 ticks back thru the border check, tottally unintentional!!! eh!

The name Canada comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement". A little history Eh!

Eh, now you're just spreading lies. Here's the real story :laughing:

Way, way, way back. Right before we became known as Canada, they had a meeting on what to name this vast expanse of, well nothing (at the time) Everyone figured that it should be three letters, just like the USA. But no one could agree on which letters. Some wanted NUK, for New United Kingdom. Others wanted NPA, for the Northern Provinces of America. And there where many, many other suggestions, so many that everyone decided the best course of action was to pick letters from a beaver fur hat. Well the person recording everything was American, so he didn't understand when we say eh.

So the person in charge of the letters, pull out the first one and reads it out loud.

C, eh.

Then the second...

N, eh.

and finally the third...

D, eh.

Well the American wrote down what he had heard: C...A...N...A...D...A

Get it? If you don't like it, you can take off, eh.

Some interesting trivia. The Hudsons Bay Company (known these days as "the Bay")

is the oldest corporation in North America, and one of the oldest in the world, being incorporated on 1670. At one time it owned most of the land in present day Canada and some of the US. All that land means it was once one of the largest private landowners in the world.

Hows that for a big business, eh?

Eh! I remember taking my mom to Canada when I was about 17 or 18. (No I was not evading the DRAFT) However it does have to do with the military! Mum was an English war bride from WWII. She was a soldier in the British Auxillary Service (from Nottingham) and had a friend with her from Canada named Anne Lowe from Minnedosa, Manitoba. I took off with her and we drove up to Canada to visit her and her family. A few years before geocaching as it was about 1970 or so. A few years later Anne would come down to Missouri to visit mum before both of them moved on to the greatness in the heavens. Good memories of women even volunteering for their and our freedom so Canada could enjoy a birthday at 146 eh!

Canada’s name comes from a misunderstanding between Jacques Cartier and some Iroquois youth who were pointing out a village (for which they used the word “Kanata”). They were actually trying to identify the small area which is present day Quebec City, but Cartier used the similar-sounding word “Canada” to refer to the whole area. Oops! :laughing:

Eh, we visited Canada around 15 years ago and one of our highlights was the Inside Passage, which is ferry route from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert in northern BC. The ship travels between a lot of small Islands and it was breathtaking!

Eh, Happy Birthday, Canada! We have fond memories of Fort Langley, British Columbia, where we logged our very first 5-star cache...to date, still one of our very favorite series! And I'm afraid of heights, eh?

ea1cd50a-f494-4204-ba02-10c97d65665e.jpg

a4123df5-0248-4bf8-82ee-057d5c8bbb5d.jpg

This pine tree looks like the one I was in when I got my 3 hitch-hikers. As we went thru the checkpoint to return to the US I flicked one out the window. Not sure which country that tick ended up in. Maybe it flew thru the agents window, eh!?

Today we put a new Canada flag antenna ball on our car. It replaces the last one which we've had for seven years, has travelled almost 200,000km, and was, in the end, completely white and not looking like a Canada flag any longer. Luckily, I managed to find one at the dollar store just in time to celebrate Canada's birthday! Lucky, eh?

eh. Cryptozoologists claim that Canada is the home of several cryptids, including Sasquatch, a giant sloth-like creature known as the beaver-eater, a cannibalistic wildman named Windigo, and a number of lake monsters, such as Ogopogo in Lake Okanagan, British Columbia!! WOW!!