Death of our Sport

Durango!

quote:
Originally posted by lullabud:

what if the psycho, who would be doing all the research he could, was reading _this very thread_ and taking notes!

Ok, that's all I needed. This sport is just way too dangerous for me. I'm going back to participating in safer sports where I won't get kllled.

skydiver icon_rolleyes.gif

I have handled the mail parcels etc for 25 years and am still here.We only have one thing to fear and it is fear itself because it can destroy or run your life that is why people have phobias and live very miserable lives.You could die in your sleep does that mean you don't sleep think about it.Just my geocoin worth.Richard

My goodness people is this what it is coming to life scaring us to death. Just live it if the cache explodes it is your time every bit as much as its your time when you step out into the street and the cross town bus conects with your body. Live life while you can and worry less about what can happen and more about what will happen if your not paying attention to where you put your next step because your suffing from the 245ft pointer stare.. Ventureout is right don't worry about getting a little wet just bring the soap.

My family and I won't stop caching but have agreeded that we will only use see thru Rubbermaid containers. We have never really given much thought to a bobbytrap, and will definately more closely inspect a cache before we open it, but we won't stop. As for the two caches that were blown up, that was done by the authorities. But look at where the caches were placed, one near a dam, and the other between a television station and a school. We will be putting more forethought into where we place our caches and what others might think when they see an individual alone with a package. My wife also let me know that I will be the one who actually opens the cache. Thanks honey icon_rolleyes.gif

My family and I won't stop caching but have agreeded that we will only use see thru Rubbermaid containers. We have never really given much thought to a bobbytrap, and will definately more closely inspect a cache before we open it, but we won't stop. As for the two caches that were blown up, that was done by the authorities. But look at where the caches were placed, one near a dam, and the other between a television station and a school. We will be putting more forethought into where we place our caches and what others might think when they see an individual alone with a package. My wife also let me know that I will be the one who actually opens the cache. Thanks honey icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Durango:

I have been wondering about a scenario recently, what with caches getting blown up, that could end our sport. All it would take is a psycho going around and leaving bombs for cachers.

Richard Jewel is in his basement with some tupperware, roofing nails, 20 empty shotgun shells and a gps right now preparing his cache!

He'll probably call it CACHE A BLAST to be ironic!

--- yrium ---

Disclaimer: I know Mr Jewel would never do such a thing. This is making fun of a far fetched scenario. I've known of three people that have died on the toilet so that's where I'll be allocating my senseless worries

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

When caching alone...this crosses my mind as well.

But I'm more afraid of ticks.

And the monsters under my bed at night. icon_biggrin.gif

I used to sleep with the covers over my head at night because of them. Later on, I found it easier to breath through the covers with a snorkel.

WooHoo!

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

When caching alone...this crosses my mind as well.

But I'm more afraid of ticks.

And the monsters under my bed at night. icon_biggrin.gif

I used to sleep with the covers over my head at night because of them. Later on, I found it easier to breath through the covers with a snorkel.

WooHoo!

rdw is right about blowing themselves up. I have a brother in the army. he is on the bomb squad, and says that most "low tech" bombs kill the person making it. and with lime disease and rocky mnt. spotted fever, cache baby is right that you should worry more about ticks.

There are a 1000 things that a looney "COULD" do, and a few that you can do. first make sure that your afairs are in order, second tell those that you love that you love them. third live life.

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."

-Cato the Elder (234-149 BC, AKA Marcus Porcius Cato)

Dave from Silly Dilly Duo

well, i think ammo boxes are fine... only found one so far, but there are other things. minard uses mayonayse jars the big plastic kind like resturaunts use in the kitchen. so thats kind of like a trademark thing which is cool. as for loonys running around the woods hiding little boxes.... oh wait a minute, never mind. i myself have a few hobbies that take me into the woods, sword fighting, (if you think hiding a cache in town will get you into trouble try doing this in public view) which of course we do in all safety. martial arts, geocaching. (though i've never combined the 3) of course if you are worried about geoterrorists you could purchase one of my custom "what if a cataclysm happens while im geocaching and im thrown into an apocolyptic nightmare" survival kits. a description is posted in the what should i carry in my backpack thread. a partial list... C4, shotgun, knives and a sword... there is more, enough to defend yourself from those pesky cache bombers. as for the monsters under the bed, they've always been the ones afraid of me.... i cant figure out why... icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif im so friendly...

well, i think ammo boxes are fine... only found one so far, but there are other things. minard uses mayonayse jars the big plastic kind like resturaunts use in the kitchen. so thats kind of like a trademark thing which is cool. as for loonys running around the woods hiding little boxes.... oh wait a minute, never mind. i myself have a few hobbies that take me into the woods, sword fighting, (if you think hiding a cache in town will get you into trouble try doing this in public view) which of course we do in all safety. martial arts, geocaching. (though i've never combined the 3) of course if you are worried about geoterrorists you could purchase one of my custom "what if a cataclysm happens while im geocaching and im thrown into an apocolyptic nightmare" survival kits. a description is posted in the what should i carry in my backpack thread. a partial list... C4, shotgun, knives and a sword... there is more, enough to defend yourself from those pesky cache bombers. as for the monsters under the bed, they've always been the ones afraid of me.... i cant figure out why... icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif im so friendly...

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

i myself have a few hobbies that take me into the woods, sword fighting, (if you think hiding a cache in town will get you into trouble try doing this in public view) which of course we do in all safety. martial arts, geocaching. (though i've never combined the 3)

Now that's an idea for a cache. Have people e-mail you when they are going to seek your cache. When they get there, you'll be ready and waiting.

None shall pass!

quote:
Originally posted by Durango00:

I have been wondering about a scenario recently, what with caches getting blown up, that could end our sport. All it would take is a psycho going around and leaving bombs for cachers

When last I check it, the score on bombings by psychos this year was

caches: 0

mailboxes: 17

So if you want to be safe, have your mailbox removed and have the letters delivered to the nearest cache.

Think how hard it would be to place an explosive in a cache and set it up in a way so that it goes off when opened. The mecuray switch way would probaly blow up the maker, and a string attached to the lid would be hard to set, and could be seen before it is opend all the way. Then again, I know nothing about this, so there may be other ways.

The reason for so many deaths on the toliets is because people head there when they are not feeling well, and then there is no one to help them until it is to late.

But seriously you face way more danger driving your car to the cache.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

My biggest fear is sticking my hand into a cache hiding spot and pulling out a black widow spider or a rattlesnake. icon_eek.gif I figure that there is a much high probability of these scenarios, out in the desert, than being blown up!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

My biggest fear is sticking my hand into a cache hiding spot and pulling out a black widow spider or a rattlesnake. icon_eek.gif I figure that there is a much high probability of these scenarios, out in the desert, than being blown up!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

mine does and it is most aggravating,and some times i'm not sure what thread i was reading and have to find it again to make a post. is it human error or computer error?

Pepper

Well now that I have read on I relize what I have been doing wrong, human error on my part.

Horizontals where it's at!

I just started geocaching today and am sad to read through this thread. It kind of scares me. I am not so worried about me but my kids and wife. I was thinking about this subject today and think that this sport will probably suffer some setbacks due to nut cases but why would it be any different than hunting/fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc. These places could all be subject to the same sabotage. I have never heard of anything like that happening. I think the greatest threat to this sport right now is the authorities outlawing it for public safety reasons which I would not agree with.

Jason

quote:

I'm sure someone has accidentally planted a geocache close to a hidden marijuanna field. I would't want to stumble across that one when the owners are doing the harvesting.

I've actually stumbled upon one. I was looking for a new and interesting cache hiding place a few weeks ago here in Virginia and was in a pretty remote location. Walked along the beaten path, then found what I guessed was a deer trail. Before long, I realized that the plants around me were mostly pot plants. icon_eek.gif

At that point, I wondered, somewhat urgently, whether there might be a deer rifle trained on my head at that moment. I quickly marked a waypoint and beat a hasty retreat.

A few hours later, when I got home, I contacted the authorities and was able to give them the exact latitude and longitude of the site. icon_biggrin.gif

Never did hear anything more about it, though.

quote:

I'm sure someone has accidentally planted a geocache close to a hidden marijuanna field. I would't want to stumble across that one when the owners are doing the harvesting.

I've actually stumbled upon one. I was looking for a new and interesting cache hiding place a few weeks ago here in Virginia and was in a pretty remote location. Walked along the beaten path, then found what I guessed was a deer trail. Before long, I realized that the plants around me were mostly pot plants. icon_eek.gif

At that point, I wondered, somewhat urgently, whether there might be a deer rifle trained on my head at that moment. I quickly marked a waypoint and beat a hasty retreat.

A few hours later, when I got home, I contacted the authorities and was able to give them the exact latitude and longitude of the site. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by felix:

You have a better chance of getting hurt by a snake, spider or tick than you do of having a bomb put in a cache. If your that worried then this is NOT the sport for you. Maybe try chess or water polo.

Now you've gone and ruined the suprise for the contents of my "HISSSSSSSS and Hers Cache", "The Multi-Cache Route with EIGHT LEGS", and finally my "Clock Action Cache (not just all TOCK)"

I tried Water Polo but I kept coming down with an Ecoli infection from all the horse poop in the pool!!! icon_razz.gif

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by felix:

You have a better chance of getting hurt by a snake, spider or tick than you do of having a bomb put in a cache. If your that worried then this is NOT the sport for you. Maybe try chess or water polo.

Now you've gone and ruined the suprise for the contents of my "HISSSSSSSS and Hers Cache", "The Multi-Cache Route with EIGHT LEGS", and finally my "Clock Action Cache (not just all TOCK)"

I tried Water Polo but I kept coming down with an Ecoli infection from all the horse poop in the pool!!! icon_razz.gif

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

The following short quiz consists of four questions, and it will tell you whether you are qualified to be a professional. Scroll down for each answer. The questions are NOT difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

Did you say, "Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator?" (Wrong Answer) Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend?

Correct Answer: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there. This tests your memory. OK, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.

4. There is a river you must cross but it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?

Correct Answer: You swim across. All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

According to Anderson Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of the professionals they tested got all questions wrong. But many preschoolers got several correct answers.

Anderson Consulting says this conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four year old.

-END-

re: from Lyra

quote:
Before long, I realized that the plants around me were mostly pot plants.

A few hours later, when I got home, I contacted the authorities and was able to give them the exact latitude and longitude of the site.

Maybe the local boyz in blu waz getting a fuzz-buzz. Now maybe the pot growers know who narked on 'em.

I have no fears about mad bombers putting an explosive in any of my caches. I doubt that they average mad bomber would want to waste his materials on a non-political target, even if they could find my caches.even if they could find my caches. (Which are logged under another name. icon_razz.gif)

Here in Florida, snakes are a very real danger, and sometimes the gators will eat a cache container whole. icon_wink.gif

Captain Walker

I just avoid any caches with the words "Blair Witch" or "Toilet" in the title.

I've had people ask about booby traps and the like before. Another person suggested that a good way to get a GPS would be to hide a fake cache and wait for Geocachers to look for it and club them over the head and take their GPS's. I know we've all considered that second idea. Especially when your unit is acting squirrelly and you don't have the money to upgrade. icon_smile.gif