Death of our Sport

Durango!

I have been wondering about a scenario recently, what with caches getting blown up, that could end our sport. All it would take is a psycho going around and leaving bombs for cachers. A few people get hurt, then everyone is afraid. Has anyone wondered about a possible connection with anthrax? Seems absurd now as we are kind of a special group of people, but what about when everyone and his dog knows about the sport. I want to emphasize again that caches be hidden very well! and that we should maybe not advertize too much more, but let the word of mouth propogate the spread through our friends.

The word of mouth is a good idea, but once the media gets ahold of something, they're not going to let it go. I'm sure a lot of the newsstations/newspapers/magazines that ran a story on the sport are keeping an eye on what's going on for possible follow ups. There's no stopping the media.

p.s. Does anyone else's computer bring them back to the main forum page when they hit 'reply'?

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

quote:
...p.s. Does anyone else's computer bring them back to the main forum page when they hit 'reply'?

It's an indication that you weren't logged into the forums before you hit the reply button. If you were logged into geocaching.com but not the forums, it will automatically log you into the forums when it bumps you back to the main page.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Durango:

I have been wondering about a scenario recently, what with caches getting blown up, that could end our sport. All it would take is a psycho going around and leaving bombs for cachers. A few people get hurt, then everyone is afraid. Has anyone wondered about a possible connection with anthrax?

Think: Maximum body count. Geocaching doesn't really come to mind, does it? Even if everyone knew about it the ratio of members per cache would be pretty low. Might as well worry about any public place instead of a tupperware container in the woods.

I'd be more worried about going to the superbowl or a movie theater than a cache hunt. Of course given the number of deaths in the shower I should avoid moving altogether. And then there is the danger of an airplane landing on me, or my roof collapsing, but I could go outside. Well, not in a storm, and there are bugs and stuff. Gosh. I guess I'm never safe.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

And they could be putting a bomb in your mailbox right now too. They'd probably do it before June though. It'll soon be where the postage for the bomb would make it too costly. Yep, I know if I was a terrorist, I sure would be certain to risk my own life and go through great expense to make a bomb that looks like a geocache that when opened would kill the people next to it - usually two or three at most.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

If you log in before you try to post a reply, you won't get taken back to the main forum. icon_biggrin.gif

It happens everytime that I do it. Even after I log in, it happened this time too. I just hit reply, it goes to the main page, I hit back, hit reply again, and it works. Every time. I figured I was logged in when I checked the box thing that said log into forums also. It's no big deal, just rather annoying.

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

If you log in before you try to post a reply, you won't get taken back to the main forum. icon_biggrin.gif

It happens everytime that I do it. Even after I log in, it happened this time too. I just hit reply, it goes to the main page, I hit back, hit reply again, and it works. Every time. I figured I was logged in when I checked the box thing that said log into forums also. It's no big deal, just rather annoying.

That was the first thing my mom said to me when I told her that my wife and I had a new hobby. She said,"some weirdo is going to put a booby trap out there, aren't you scared?" I told her that I did not want to live in the world that she was living in, it would suck to be paranoid about everything. I'm not saying that it is not possible, I'm just saying that to live you have to live not hide from everything. When your time comes that's it, nothing you can do about it because if there was it wouldn't be your time!

Later,

TikimanHS

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

I'm not talking about a terrorist here, but the same kind of idiots that have many times before made pipe bombs or done something just as stupid. These are not thinking people. When I was in high school, a class-mate was mamed because someone dropped a rock off an overpass. These kinds of people are out there, when they hear of geocaching will they act or not...

You have a choice, either sit home on your *** (which is not any safer!)or go out and live your life to the fullest extent you possibly can. I'm not saying run with scissors or anything extreme like that just live your life and be happy. Life is to short to worry all the time about what might happen if ________. The world is a big place with good and evil, get out and enjoy the good parts and don't let the evil ones get you down. icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

You have a choice, either sit home on your *** (which is not any safer!)or go out and live your life to the fullest extent you possibly can. I'm not saying run with scissors or anything extreme like that just live your life and be happy. Life is to short to worry all the time about what might happen if ________. The world is a big place with good and evil, get out and enjoy the good parts and don't let the evil ones get you down. icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

Please put on my headstone: Died Happy Geocaching

The best thing about the type of idiots that Durango mentions is that they will probably blow themselves up before they can get a bomb to work and be triggered by the opening of a geocache. If you try to build a bomb to injure other people, but blow yourself up instead, I have no problem laughing at you.

rdw

I never thought too much about ever finding a bomb in a cache. I have though instead of some psycho geocache serial killer who instead camps out sites of remote caches and waits for a single geocacher to happen by(I guess I read too many detective novels).

I've sometimes stumbled across other people in the bush and they ain't wearing a compasse around thier neck and carrying a GPS. They aren't walking the family dog and aren't dressed like a hiker. Who knows WHAT they heck they're doing out there(thank god the GPS looks like a radio ).

I'm sure someone has accidentally planted a geocache close to a hidden marijuanna field. I would't want to stumble across that one when the owners are doing the harvesting.

But the odds of meeting your demise in your own bathroom are probably higher than having it happen while geocaching.

Cheers!

I think if we discontinued using ammo boxes, and in my case mortar tubes, the general public would never notice our hobby. This would be a good thing. At the moment all it would take is one high visibility incident to eliminate this web site and our hobby.

I say Tupperware it is.

AG,

As has been stated many, many times before... there have been a small number of instances of caches being investigated by the bomb squad (either two or three). At the last count, I believe it was two tupperware containers and one ammo box that were targeted.

I don't think ammo boxes are the problem.

If we were to begin using only tupperware, we'd have a new public problem of littering. Tupperware containers can be violated by animals, which would spread the contents all over. Also, tupperware simply doesn't hold up to the elements. I've found a couple where the lids were no longer usable. This could result in wind/rain/flood spreading the cache contents.

I think the ruggedness of ammo boxes solve more problems than they create.

Jamie

"But the odds of meeting your demise in your own bathroom are probably higher than having it happen while geocaching."

I work in EMS and a good friend and fellow medic seems to attract calls where the patient is on the toilet. It's happened so many times that some of our co-workers fashioned her a nifty belt with a roll of toilet paper hanging from it.

icon_biggrin.gif I've not had nearly as many but I can tell you that quite a few people seem to meet their maker on the potty. I've yet to have an ambulance run related to geocaching...

"But the odds of meeting your demise in your own bathroom are probably higher than having it happen while geocaching."

I work in EMS and a good friend and fellow medic seems to attract calls where the patient is on the toilet. It's happened so many times that some of our co-workers fashioned her a nifty belt with a roll of toilet paper hanging from it.

icon_biggrin.gif I've not had nearly as many but I can tell you that quite a few people seem to meet their maker on the potty. I've yet to have an ambulance run related to geocaching...

quote:
Originally posted by Astrogoth:

I think if we discontinued using ammo boxes, and in my case mortar tubes, the general public would never notice our hobby. This would be a good thing. At the moment all it would take is one high visibility incident to eliminate this web site and our hobby.

I say Tupperware it is.

I fail to see the responsibility in this statement, and yes, I'm going to vent a little here again (and again...and again...)

As previously stated in response to this comment, AND as previously stated in about 6 dozen separate threads:

angry.gifTHERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN CACHES BEING BLOWN UP AND THIER CONTAINERS!angry.gif

To say that those freakin' ammo boxes are going to be responsible for the demise of this activity is baseless and ignorant.

The fact is that if a cache is hidden well enough, then the chance of it being found accidently is very very VERY slim.

As a matter of fact, for the reasons all ready stated, I think that ammo cans will SAVE this sport.

Com'on, y'all. Quit the doom & gloomin'!

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Heh, as soon as i posted this in a forum site that I created, I got the same types of answers - "What if someone puts a bomb in them?"

I was like, give me a break people. So when are we all ordering our suits that generate air, our UV tinted masks, and homes in bubbles? geez!

quote:
Originally posted by halldorr:

Heh, as soon as i posted this in a forum site that I created, I got the same types of answers - "What if someone puts a bomb in them?"

I was like, give me a break people. So when are we all ordering our suits that generate air, our UV tinted masks, and homes in bubbles? geez!

icon_mad.gif When you worry about these things the terrorists have won. They create havoc by gaining maximum exposure. Except for the uni-bomber, all of the others go for body counts. When you want to give up everything you would normally do, they have won. They are controlling your life.I refuse to let anyone control my life! If it is my turn to go, so be it. I will not hide. I will live life the way I want, do what I want and will not let them stop me.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by halldorr:

icon_mad.gif When you worry about these things the terrorists have won. They create havoc by gaining maximum exposure. Except for the uni-bomber, all of the others go for body counts. When you want to give up everything you would normally do, they have won. They are controlling your life.I refuse to let anyone control my life! If it is my turn to go, so be it. I will not hide. I will live life the way I want, do what I want and will not let them stop me.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

I work in EMS and a good friend and fellow medic seems to attract calls where the patient is on the toilet.

Elvis has left the building!

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

I work in EMS and a good friend and fellow medic seems to attract calls where the patient is on the toilet.

Elvis has left the building!

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carrdav:

I've sometimes stumbled across other people in the bush and they ain't wearing a compasse around thier neck and carrying a GPS. They aren't walking the family dog and aren't dressed like a hiker. Who knows WHAT they heck they're doing out there(thank god the GPS looks like a radio ).

When caching alone...this crosses my mind as well.

But I'm more afraid of ticks.

And the monsters under my bed at night. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------------

41742_200.jpg

I'm new here, be gentle.

quote:
Originally posted by carrdav:

------------------------

41742_200.jpg

I'm new here, be gentle.

quote:
Originally posted by Lasivian:

Can Someone direct me to what all this about "Caches being blown up" is talking about? thanks

Here are the caches in question. Be sure to log in first, 'cause they're archived:

Oscar the Grouch Cache

DAM CACHE II

These are the only two I could come up with. I think there may be one or two more.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

------------------------

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/41742_200.jpg

I'm new here, be gentle.

When I was a kid going to sleep, I use to tuck the quilt around the bottoms of my feet so the alligators couldn't get to them! Being a Nu Yawker, I must have heard someone talking about how we have alligators in the sewers. Well, now that I'm grown, I don't believe the alligators will get me anymore. But I still tuck my feet!

Be gentle. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

------------------------

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/41742_200.jpg

I'm new here, be gentle.

When I was a kid going to sleep, I use to tuck the quilt around the bottoms of my feet so the alligators couldn't get to them! Being a Nu Yawker, I must have heard someone talking about how we have alligators in the sewers. Well, now that I'm grown, I don't believe the alligators will get me anymore. But I still tuck my feet!

Be gentle. icon_wink.gif

Alan

If you're nervous about a cache just use the old ebay trick of only bidding on something for sale by someone that's sold things before. In this case you would only look for a cache that's been found by someone else or placed by someone who has already placed several caches and has a good reputation.

If everyone does this, we'll get no new members though!! icon_smile.gif

icepak

icepak

If you're nervous about a cache just use the old ebay trick of only bidding on something for sale by someone that's sold things before. In this case you would only look for a cache that's been found by someone else or placed by someone who has already placed several caches and has a good reputation.

If everyone does this, we'll get no new members though!! icon_smile.gif

icepak

icepak

there are a lot of great ideas in here about how we can all not get killed geocaching, way to go people!! icon_biggrin.gif however, there is a single problem i can come up with... what if the psycho, who would be doing all the research he could, was reading this very thread and taking notes! then he would do everything exactly how we think he wouldn't! he would hit the most frequently used cache, he'd wear a compass around his neck, he might even have a plastic bag to make you think he's picking up trash... you'll probably thank him.

seriously though, has anybody actually died while geocaching?

there are a lot of great ideas in here about how we can all not get killed geocaching, way to go people!! icon_biggrin.gif however, there is a single problem i can come up with... what if the psycho, who would be doing all the research he could, was reading this very thread and taking notes! then he would do everything exactly how we think he wouldn't! he would hit the most frequently used cache, he'd wear a compass around his neck, he might even have a plastic bag to make you think he's picking up trash... you'll probably thank him.

seriously though, has anybody actually died while geocaching?

quote:
Originally posted by lullabud:

what if the psycho, who would be doing all the research he could, was reading _this very thread_ and taking notes!

Ok, that's all I needed. This sport is just way too dangerous for me. I'm going back to participating in safer sports where I won't get kllled.

skydiver icon_rolleyes.gif