Etiquette question: logging your own caches after they've been adopted?

Hey there! I looked around and searched but couldn't find anything on this.

I have created three caches in my time, but you wouldn't know it now, because they've all been adopted out. (I moved overseas for a while, and although I'm back, I'm not planning to take the caches back just now.)

What would the etiquette be on logging my own previous hides as finds? I wish there were some way of demonstrating that I created caches even if I don't currently own them, but since there's not, can I at least log them as finds? I mean, there's no difficulty there...I know where they are...but is it fair for me to log them? I ask mainly because I have kept an eye on the "Found It = Didn't Find It" thread over the years, and I shudder to think of appearing there! ;)

Thanks!

I have created three caches in my time, but you wouldn't know it now, because they've all been adopted out.

So they don't have "[Adopted from...]" with the new cache owner's name? That seems like a proper thing to have.

Is your name on some of the cache's online logs (that you hid it or that you did maintenance, etc.)? If so, it would have people scratching their heads when they see you find a cache you hid (with no doubt your complimentary Find log about how cool the hide is :laughing:). But if it's for your own convenience, kind of an inventory thing or whatever, you can. Are you back-dating to some previous log date? Huh... what would you do if the new CO disallowed that Find? :surprise:

I've signed my own logs several times, so I could count mine as finds. But mine haven't been adopted out. I don't know if I'd go hunt my own cache after adopting it out -- I'd probably be upset to see that the new CO isn't maintaining the cache to my standards :anicute:. I can't think of a good reason for me to log them, so it's not for me.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I wouldn't have logged a Found It without signing the log, of course! That would be silly. It's not really an inventory thing, just...there are green cache boxes on the map...I want them all to be smilies, LOL. That was pretty much what prompted my question. "Hey, unfound caches! But...?"

They do have "Adopted From" in the name, I didn't mean to imply they didn't!

I like the idea of a public bookmark list. Thanks for that, Great Scott!

Thanks again all!

I wouldn't have logged a Found It without signing the log, of course! That would be silly.

:rolleyes:

Sorry you feel that way. Like I said in the OP, I'm sensitive to cache etiquette. I did a "photo log" once early in my caching career, but that's it. And besides, if I know where the cache is, why *wouldn't* I go back and sign the log? I mean...I'm asking this question in the first place, if I didn't care I'd have just done the armchair Found It, right? :(

Your username brings back fun memories though, I used to work in Tokyo, and transferred from the Tozai line to the Namboku line often.

As a premium member you can add them to your ignore list so they don't show up as caches you need to find.

Ah! I'll do that. Thank you. I have never really utilized much of the premium features beyond finding a couple of Premium-only caches. :)

Edited by woofiegrrl
It's not really an inventory thing, just...there are green cache boxes on the map...I want them all to be smilies, LOL.

I have a similar issue with my own caches on my GPSr. They are kind of in the way at times, being "not found". But I like them available in the list, to show distances when scouting possible cache sites, and (along with Found caches) as markers on the map to see relative distances to new caches. So I just leave the green boxes as they are.

But it could certainly be even more complicated with adopted caches.

Edited by kunarion

Personally, I don't see this as a black/white issue.

If the cache(s) were easy D/T, I would ignore them.

If the cache(s) were high D, easy T, I would ignore them.

If the cache(s) were easy D, but high T and I actually returned to the site to sign the log, then I would log it.

Even if the T wasn't so high, but the cache was remote and took some real effort to get to, I would log it if I went back there.

I recently had this happen on a cache I adopted. The original owner went back out to the cache site, and logged a find. It never occurred to me that I should question the log.

Personally, I don't see this as a black/white issue.

If the cache(s) were easy D/T, I would ignore them.

If the cache(s) were high D, easy T, I would ignore them.

If the cache(s) were easy D, but high T and I actually returned to the site to sign the log, then I would log it.

Even if the T wasn't so high, but the cache was remote and took some real effort to get to, I would log it if I went back there.

I recently had this happen on a cache I adopted. The original owner went back out to the cache site, and logged a find. It never occurred to me that I should question the log.

Why is that not an answer in the cache logging FAQ?

:lol:

Hey there! I looked around and searched but couldn't find anything on this.

I have created three caches in my time, but you wouldn't know it now, because they've all been adopted out. (I moved overseas for a while, and although I'm back, I'm not planning to take the caches back just now.)

What would the etiquette be on logging my own previous hides as finds? I wish there were some way of demonstrating that I created caches even if I don't currently own them, but since there's not, can I at least log them as finds? I mean, there's no difficulty there...I know where they are...but is it fair for me to log them? I ask mainly because I have kept an eye on the "Found It = Didn't Find It" thread over the years, and I shudder to think of appearing there! ;)

Thanks!

Sounds like you'll get some "adverse publicity" if you log those finds! :unsure: Tongues will be wagging! ;)

Unlike most of the other responders, I don't really see a problem with it. It's like a cache that someone else hid while you were with them. I think it's perfectly reasonable to go back and sign the log and claim the find. Besides, as most COs will tell you, it's not always easy to find a cache you hid after the find's been "adjusted" by all the previous finders, so it's not as if it will be that much easier for you than for anyone else.

On the other hand, I also understand why someone would not do it.

I wouldn't do it. How could I "find" something if I know where it is?

I can't count the number of times I've gone back to check on one of my own caches and its crept to a whole new spot and I've had to search for ages to find it. Sometimes I think I *should* log a find, right before my Owner Maintenance log! Ha!

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I wouldn't have logged a Found It without signing the log, of course! That would be silly.

:rolleyes:

Sorry you feel that way.

Don't mind Toz. He's only rolling his eyes because there's no rule saying you must sign the log. Signing the log is simply a way to guarantee that your log won't be deleted on the website. If you're willing to roll the dice, you can certainly go ahead and log a find without signing the log. Nothing's stopping you. The system will allow it. You just can't complain if the cache owner deletes your log for not signing the log.

Don't mind Toz. He's only rolling his eyes because there's no rule saying you must sign the log. Signing the log is simply a way to guarantee that your log won't be deleted on the website. If you're willing to roll the dice, you can certainly go ahead and log a find without signing the log. Nothing's stopping you. The system will allow it. You just can't complain if the cache owner deletes your log for not signing the log.

So what you're saying is...

6fdaL8s.jpg

I often wonder, and this is not aimed at *anyone in particular* how those with very strict opinions about what one should, or more importantly, should not, log a find on, feel about whether "it's all about the numbers". My *feeling* is that if you're forever concerned with what other people do or do not log, contributing or not to their find count, then it is very much about the numbers and keeping score. Otherwise it's an entirely individual game, and it's up to each person to decide how best to enjoy playing it.

I often wonder, and this is not aimed at *anyone in particular* how those with very strict opinions about what one should, or more importantly, should not, log a find on, feel about whether "it's all about the numbers". My *feeling* is that if you're forever concerned with what other people do or do not log, contributing or not to their find count, then it is very much about the numbers and keeping score. Otherwise it's an entirely individual game, and it's up to each person to decide how best to enjoy playing it.

Of course it's about a number. It's also a matter of justification, more or less.

I think the less justification I use to claim a find is more the better.

So what you're saying is...

6fdaL8s.jpg

Not really. What I'm saying (and what the guidelines say) is that you claim a find without signing the log at your own risk. Don't go "logging them all". Accounts have been locked for doing that.

Anyway, regarding whether to log the caches in question, it's a matter between yourself and your ethics. If your ethics say it's okay to log the caches, then log the caches. As you've seen in here, everyone has their own opinion regarding the matter, so I don't think there's a distinct, generally-accepted "right way".

I agree, and I apologise for veering off the topic with my semi-related observation, but what I was more referring to is the very strong and judgemental opinions *some* have on finds logged by *others*. One always has control over what one logs, oneself.

I agree, and I apologise for veering off the topic with my semi-related observation, but what I was more referring to is the very strong and judgemental opinions *some* have on finds logged by *others*. One always has control over what one logs, oneself.

That's okay. I happen to be one of those people you are referring to, at least in someone's theory . A Puritan as TOZ likes to say.

That's okay. I happen to be one of those people you are referring to, at least in someone's theory . A Puritan as TOZ likes to say.

The first step is admitting it :)

Serious question then.... is it all about the numbers? And comparing numbers between different geocachers?

The first step is admitting it :)

Serious question then.... is it all about the numbers? And comparing numbers between different geocachers?

I like my numbers and I like my numbers to mean something. If I have to spend time explaining a find or asking if I should, even when I sign the log. Probably not worth it.

There is a good chance that you may find that the opinions in this forum are different than what most people will do in your area. This is not a game that the numbers have any value, and one that you are only doing for your own entertainment. Yes, it's cheesy, but why would others look down their nose at you about it? It's only a game, and not one where you are competing with anyone. There are a few caches around here that were archived, and other cachers relisted with new GC#s. Same container, same location. Most people around here went out and logged them again. Somehow the new GC# made duplicate finds loggable. Something I wouldn't do, but if someone else does it, so what?

Of course I never said its OK to log a find for any reason. I'm not sure why I get accused of that.

What I have said is that I don't see the find count as a score, so I'm likely to give people who log a Found It the benefit of the doubt. I don't see much point in deleting the Found Log if someone has a legitimate reason for why they were unable to sign the log. Even forgetfulness can be a legitimate reason occasionally.

The :rolleyes: is because often in these threads someone will make a statement that implies that if you signed the log then it's OK to log a find. Signing a log is not the same a finding a cache. Those who wish to log a find online only when they have signed the log are free to do so. No one can be forced to log online if they decide not to.

My guess is that many people would not log their own caches or one that they hid and is now adopted by someone else, because they agree with briansnat's assessment that you can't find that which you have hidden. On the other hand, some people will log caches they no longer own because they become obsessed with changing the items on the map to smiley faces. I think this game is about finding caches and not about turning all the caches on the map to stars and smiley faces. But I'm not bothered by people who have a different idea about this game. I've also learned that when someone posts "What is the etiquette for logging in this situation?", most of the time they are just looking for validation and they've already made up their mind about what the answer is.

Now that we've answered the OP's question, how about a slightly different angle on the topic - what about logging your own Challenge Cache? Finding the container and signing the log are only a small part of claiming the cache. I've seen a couple of different CO's do it.

Now that we've answered the OP's question, how about a slightly different angle on the topic - what about logging your own Challenge Cache? Finding the container and signing the log are only a small part of claiming the cache. I've seen a couple of different CO's do it.

For me, container = cache. It's no different than a challenging hike or a swim to an island, they're all required to find the cache. The challenge caches requirement is just the hike or the swim. I wouldn't log any caches that I'd hidden, or helped hide, or adopted out as finds. Just me.

On a side note, I'd like to commend TOZ on the decreased length in his post. A :rolleyes: is certainly easier to read than his norm :anibad:

So if you do log these caches as found, who's the person who mighttake exception and delete your log? - the current owner, so if they're happy for you to do it, and you're happy in your own mind to do it, then go ahead, It really isn't anyone else's business.

I don't think I would do it, but if I was the new owner I'd be OK with you doing it.

As someone else suggested it's not much different to me logging a find on my daughters cache, which I helped her place; I'm OK with that, so is my daughter, and I don't much care whether anyone else disapproves :P .

So if you do log these caches as found, who's the person who might take exception and delete your log? - the current owner, so if they're happy for you to do it, and you're happy in your own mind to do it, then go ahead, It really isn't anyone else's business.

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't see any legal grounds for the current owner to reject a legitimate find with a signature on the log just because it was from the original owner. So it's not between them, it's strictly up to the original owner.

But the OP asked about etiquette, so the question of who gets the final decision is somewhat beside the point.

I think this is true for P&Gs, though I'm not sure it's a universal truth. One example is a multi I helped my daughter hide early on in my caching career. At the time, I knew exactly where it was, since I was there. Now fast forward several years. Because it's a multi, in a remote location, and requires a bit of a hike, it doesn't get many visitors. I don't remember if it was in response to a NM, or I I just figured it was due, but I did a maintenance run, replacing the stages and the final. I had to do it just as if I had never been there before, because I couldn't remember where any of the parts were. I logged it as a find, without remorse.

Another example, a bit more on topic. I owned a series of very challenging caches along a creek in the Ocala National Forest.

Apocalypse, When? (GC14VWH) is one of them. I am a fan of off trail exploring, which is what led me to this area. To give you an idea of how difficult it is to access, when I hid that one, my track log said I'd only gone 3/4 of a mile up the creek. It took me several hours. I adopted the series to someone who lives a little closer. Some day, I may return. I can say without hesitation that I have no clue where that cache is. I would not feel bad about logging my visit as a find.

I would love to see this as the norm. To me, the point of a challenge cache is typically the challenge itself rather than the final cache, and if you complete the challenge you should be able to log that you completed it.

Having said that, I haven't logged as found any of my own challenge caches, and I won't ever, unless the general consensus on logging owned challenge caches changes.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I would love to see this as the norm. To me, the point of a challenge cache is typically the challenge itself rather than the final cache, and if you complete the challenge you should be able to log that you completed it.

Having said that, I haven't logged as found any of my own challenge caches, and I won't ever, unless the general consensus on logging owned challenge caches changes.

I would not log one of my own challenge caches. Sure, the majority of the work might be qualifying for completion but it also requires a person to go out and find a container. You're not really finding anything if you know right where it is.

I would not log one of my own challenge caches. Sure, the majority of the work might be qualifying for completion but it also requires a person to go out and find a container. You're not really finding anything if you know right where it is.

The point is the majority of the work going in to complete the challenge. From what I've found, the vast majority of challenge caches have an easy, non-descript, nothing special hide at the end, and I'm fine with that, because the point of the challenge was the challenge.

Really, challenge caches don't really need the cache at the end at all - they could/should result in a reward by another means... souvenir? But souvenirs devolved into "here's a badge because you found a cache in xxx region or on yyy day" instead of what they were initially intended to be - actual achievements, so they were never going to replace the reward of a challenge. So the only way a challenge can reward someone who completes it is with a smiley, but then the traditional "you can't find your own cache" general opinion gets in the way and means the challenge creator never gets the same reward for completing it.

Oh well...

The point is the majority of the work going in to complete the challenge. From what I've found, the vast majority of challenge caches have an easy, non-descript, nothing special hide at the end, and I'm fine with that, because the point of the challenge was the challenge.

Really, challenge caches don't really need the cache at the end at all - they could/should result in a reward by another means... souvenir? But souvenirs devolved into "here's a badge because you found a cache in xxx region or on yyy day" instead of what they were initially intended to be - actual achievements, so they were never going to replace the reward of a challenge. So the only way a challenge can reward someone who completes it is with a smiley, but then the traditional "you can't find your own cache" general opinion gets in the way and means the challenge creator never gets the same reward for completing it.

Oh well...

So would you also argue that those who solve a puzzle should be able to log the find once the puzzle is completed? Same difference...

Oh well...

So would you also argue that those who solve a puzzle should be able to log the find once the puzzle is completed? Same difference...

The way i see it, it does not matter if one aspect is harder to complete or not. Meeting the challenge and finding the container (signing the physical log) are all part of the cache. Both need to be done. As said above, it seems cheezy to most when a person says they found their own cache.

Oh well...

No, actually quite different. Solving a sudoku is not the same as filling your D/T grid, for example.

Oh well...

The way i see it, it does not matter if one aspect is harder to complete or not. Meeting the challenge and finding the container (signing the physical log) are all part of the cache. Both need to be done. As said above, it seems cheezy to most when a person says they found their own cache.

I guess I just see that as being rather "stick in the mud" (no pun intended) about it all. Generally I have made the final cache of a challenge very easy to find, because the point was the challenge, meaning signing the log is a necessary but almost insignificant part of it.

But, as I said, I'll never log one of my own challenges unless the general consensus on the subject changed. Maybe one day it will. As someone pointed out above, people log their own event caches!

...people log their own event caches!

Apples & tangerines...

I think the general consensus has to do with semantics. With a cache, logged as found by the owner, the log type is "Found It!", but with folks logging their own events, the log type is "Attended". There are many folks in these forums who will argue that you cannot "Find" something if you already know where it is. Logging a challenge cache has two distinct facets: Completing the challenge, which the owner can do, and finding the cache, which many would argue the owner, (who already knows where it is), cannot do. Events are a bit different, due to the log type used. I can assure you that I have "Attended" every single event I hosted.

...people log their own event caches!

Apples & tangerines...

I think the general consensus has to do with semantics. With a cache, logged as found by the owner, the log type is "Found It!", but with folks logging their own events, the log type is "Attended". There are many folks in these forums who will argue that you cannot "Find" something if you already know where it is. Logging a challenge cache has two distinct facets: Completing the challenge, which the owner can do, and finding the cache, which many would argue the owner, (who already knows where it is), cannot do. Events are a bit different, due to the log type used. I can assure you that I have "Attended" every single event I hosted.

I hear you, but then if you're going to count the apples you ate, don't include the tangerines - event attendances shouldn't be counted as finds! :)

I qualified for most of the challenges I created, when I created them. (some were copies)

So, I should have posted FTF as well?

No, but I will post a note when I do qualify for the ones I was allowed to create that I didn't qualify for at the time.

Oh well...

No, actually quite different. Solving a sudoku is not the same as filling your D/T grid, for example.

I see it as the same. You have to do something other than find the cache in order to say that you found the cache. If cache = container, then the steps you take to get there don't really matter now do they? Filling a grid isn't finding the cache. Searching through HTML codes and researching the migratory patterns of the northern African hippo flea are also extra steps you have to take before you can log that you've found the cache. With geocaching challenges gone now, the cache still = the container, it's just a question of the steps you're willing to take to get there.

I have a similar issue with my own caches on my GPSr. They are kind of in the way at times, being "not found". But I like them available in the list, to show distances when scouting possible cache sites, and (along with Found caches) as markers on the map to see relative distances to new caches. So I just leave the green boxes as they are.

I use GSAK to load my GPS and keep my placed caches in a separate database.

I export my found caches and my placed caches as POIs, so they don't show as unfound green boxes on the GPS.

My placed caches show as stars.

I have the reverse scenario to the OPs.

I found several caches and eventually adopted them from someone who left the game.

So they are in my placed list and my found list.

I think this is true for P&Gs, though I'm not sure it's a universal truth. One example is a multi I helped my daughter hide early on in my caching career. At the time, I knew exactly where it was, since I was there. Now fast forward several years. Because it's a multi, in a remote location, and requires a bit of a hike, it doesn't get many visitors. I don't remember if it was in response to a NM, or I I just figured it was due, but I did a maintenance run, replacing the stages and the final. I had to do it just as if I had never been there before, because I couldn't remember where any of the parts were. I logged it as a find, without remorse.

Another example, a bit more on topic. I owned a series of very challenging caches along a creek in the Ocala National Forest.

Apocalypse, When? (GC14VWH) is one of them. I am a fan of off trail exploring, which is what led me to this area. To give you an idea of how difficult it is to access, when I hid that one, my track log said I'd only gone 3/4 of a mile up the creek. It took me several hours. I adopted the series to someone who lives a little closer. Some day, I may return. I can say without hesitation that I have no clue where that cache is. I would not feel bad about logging my visit as a find.

I've been out to check on my caches only to find that some were either out of place or i just couldn't remember where i had placed them originally. I also helped hide a couple of caches under my daughter's name, where on a maintenance visit or two, found that someone had moved the containers. A search had to be performed to locate our own hides. I would never consider logging any of these as found.