Most people think I'm nuts

Okay, most people have no comprehension when I mention Geocaching, and think I'm nuts. I'm used to that. (Well, it would be nice if people would express some interest in my hobby. I have been at this for nine years!)

A major customer came to visit today. Pleasant talk. After my two-week vacation last year to visit the Canadian Maritimes after the EarthCache event in Maine, he asked if I had any major vacation plans this year. I said I'd be up in his area in August, geocaching. (The Spot near Canandaigua Lake is on my hit list!)

Instead of the usual "Hmm... Oh?? Whatever? What is he talking about?)" I got: Oh! My son loves geocaching! He's been doing it for four years. When he stayed at my house, he put a magnetic keyholder on the sign by the road, and we loved watching people trying to be stealthy finding the cache.

It's nice to have someone understand what I'm talking about!

I heard about it on the radio and signed up ten minutes later. Other people have shown interest in what I do and whether I explain it or show them, it's typically nothing more than "That's interesting".

I think either it bites you hard or not at all. Some might pick it up but after a few short months of dropping micros they drop out themselves.

I will say that most of my family, friends and acquaintances will ask about my geocaching adventures from time to time. And that is appreciated.

Just because you think that people think you are nuts doesn't mean you aren't. :P

I hiked to the summit of one of New Hampshire's 4,000+ foot mountains last weekend (trying to hike them all - this was number 46 out of 48 for me). Just as I reached the summit, a group that had arrived seconds before us began searching the summit cairn, and I knew right away they were geocachers. I hadn't checked ahead of time to see if there was a cache on the summit (I usually do), but fortunately they let me know that there was in fact a cache at the summit, and we found it shortly afterwards.

Over the next half hour or so, a number of other hiking parties arrived at the summit, and at least 3 other people that arrived while I was there were geocachers, and all signed the log.

The non-geoachers at the summit didn't think the rest of us were nuts - for the most part they just chalked it up to "the cool things technology allows us to do these days".

Oddly, I was the only one of the geocachers who signed the log that day to post a log online. :huh:

Just today I was out looking for (what for me was a) difficult find.

A neighbor came out to check his mailbox and shouted 'Let me guess, you are one of those geode-finders!'

I said, 'Yes, and it's Geocaching. And I'm having a tough time with this one.'

(I was praying he knew where it was and could help me.)

'Yeah, I have a lot of friends who will spend their whole weekend looking for those things.'

'Sure, they can take you to some really interesting places. Or sometimes all you get it frustration.'

'Good luck!'

I didn't find it.

Just because you think that people think you are nuts doesn't mean you aren't. :P

I hiked to the summit of one of New Hampshire's 4,000+ foot mountains last weekend (trying to hike them all - this was number 46 out of 48 for me). Just as I reached the summit, a group that had arrived seconds before us began searching the summit cairn, and I knew right away they were geocachers. I hadn't checked ahead of time to see if there was a cache on the summit (I usually do), but fortunately they let me know that there was in fact a cache at the summit, and we found it shortly afterwards.

Over the next half hour or so, a number of other hiking parties arrived at the summit, and at least 3 other people that arrived while I was there were geocachers, and all signed the log.

The non-geoachers at the summit didn't think the rest of us were nuts - for the most part they just chalked it up to "the cool things technology allows us to do these days".

Oddly, I was the only one of the geocachers who signed the log that day to post a log online. :huh:

bet you would have been kicking yourself if you realized after coming down that you had walked right by one!

My friend and I were looking for a cache in Vegas a few months back. After we had been there about half an hour, a couple walked up to us and asked if we were geocaching. They said that any time they see people looking on the ground, in bushes and on the backs of signs, they figure that's what they are doing. They helped us look for a while but we never did find it. (I'm pretty sure it was near the fence area where a homeless guy was sleeping and I didn't really want to tell him to move!) Everybody else who walked by just gave us weird looks.

Most people have no idea what I'm talking about if I mention that I geocache. Had a cop come check to make sure I was OK, he knew and another guy that was also checking that I was OK knew. Everyone else looked at me like I was crazy, (ok so I am sometimes) lol. Did have one person ask if I was geocaching when I was looking for a hard one. She told me that cache was missing after she looked it up on her phone (I don't have a smart phone). Then the CO said, nope it's not, gave me some clues and I found it so she was wrong lol. I'm always on the look-out for other cachers in my area, would love to meet some since it seems there is never an event close enough to me so I can go.... Local group doesn't seem to be very active either.... :rolleyes:

In this day and age I often wonder what is 'normal' :blink:

At least we are getting out and about, seeing some different places etc etc. I know I have only just started on here, however I have a friend (not in the UK) who is a real enthusiast and that got me interested in a way. However, I was a bit idle at that time and didn't get involved. Now I am trying to lose weight so this is a way of getting me out of the house.

I was in South Lake Tahoe at a Crapbucks with my laptop doing the PQ thing one day when another young-ish guy walked up to me and started talking to me about caching. He gave me some suggestions on local caches that happened to be right along the lines of what I was looking for, we chatted caching for a few, and then he took off. Pretty cool.

As far as the validation goes, I've been lucky enough to make friends with some of the other cachers in my area, so when it's social time, cache talk is usually involved. My kids like to go, as long as it's not too far out and it doesn't take too long and there are toys to trade....

So what do geocacher being nuts have to do with muggles? I mean we all have to be a bit crazy to do what we do...

The reaction is mostly "Geocatching? what?" I've had one person ask how much money I've found. He figured cash, not cache. Even my ex thought it was the dumbest thing sh had ever heard of, until I mentioned she spends $200 a month on her hobby and I spend that 6 months. But she wouldn't let us leave until we found the only one she ever went to.

I find most people will think it's dumb, or lame, with out even trying it, and so would not enjoy it. Or at least they wouldn't admit they enjoy it, even to themselves. But the other people who enjoy "different" things that most others don't, or people who have different lifestyles will at least keep an open mind about it. But I think that's because they know what it's like for others to not even give their "thing" a chance.

I've been geocaching for 4 days now, and most people I talk to about it are really interested or cool with it. A lot of my friends are now trying it out, and even my mother wants me to show her when I go to her home. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm surrounded by people as nutty as I am. :P

It's always a nice surprise when someone knows what you're talking about.

We recently had a holiday in a self-catering cottage in the north of England and wrote in the Visitors' Book that we'd enjoyed doing some geocaching in the area. Yesterday I had an email from the cottage owner asking whether they could use some of our comments on their website and "I was really pleased to read in your visitor comments that you were enjoying geocaching in the area. This is something we enjoy doing with our daughter and we would like to encourage more geocachers to use Lodge End cottage."

MrsB :)

Well, I don't have to wonder what other people think because my spouse lets me know on a regular basis that I am certifiably nuts. Geocaching is the latest adventure that I have played with that is sited as evidence. Then there was:

Ham Radio --- Talking to strangers at all hours of the night or day --- Why?

Beekeeping --- Playing with stinging bugs just to get the bee puke (honey for the uniformed)

RC Airplanes --- Spending lots of money just to crash and burn and start over again

Blackpowder/Muzzleloading rendezvous --- Playing dress up 1700-1800 style

and on and on :rolleyes::laughing:

I have gotten the "you must be nuts" look when talking about geocaching, but I have gotten the opposite too. My sister loves the idea of Geocaching, and brags about having a geocacher in the family. :blink: However, I have never been able to get her to try it. She has a lot of mobility issues and no matter how I try to explain there are still caches she can get she won't go look. I really suspect she likes the idea, but doesn't want to do it herself. :D

I was at a garage sale and mentioned that I geocached to the guy running it. He called his wife over and told her I was a geocacher. They both were real excited about it. It turn out their son is an avid cacher. They have no real interest in trying it, but love the fact that their son does it.

I've mentioned it to some, and to my mother in law who asked what I got out of it - what's the point? I told her that her grandson and I were spending time together, it got him away from the TVs & monitors and got him some exercise. No there was no money to find, but hopefully, when he's much older, he'll remember us searching all over the place for containers holding sheets of paper and our adventures with the carsick dog barfing all over the new car each time we bring him!

However, now when we drive anywhere, my son and I will point to all the "secret spots" that we've discovered on our adventures... Their loss not ours. It's a hobby, it's personal

The word "geocaching" usually evokes a blank expression when I'm talking to a muggle, but when I go on to say, "people hide a box, post the coordinates online and other people use a GPS to go find it..." that usually gets a "oh, yeah, I've heard of that" response. Most of them still think I'm nuts.

I have told people on several occasions that we, Geocachers, are still a completely fringe element in society in the grand scheme of things. Most Geocachers think I'm nuts when I say that. Of course they themselves, are Geocachers. And usually highly active premium members. I'm like, hello, 99% of the populace has never heard of us. :lol:

...Instead of the usual "Hmm... Oh?? Whatever? What is he talking about?)" I got: Oh! My son loves geocaching! He's been doing it for four years...

5 - 10 years ago people I mentioned geocacing to would look at me as if I had three heads, but I'm getting more and more of this these days.

Beekeeping --- Playing with stinging bugs just to get the bee puke (honey for the uniformed)

So you sold it all to the military, then? 😜

Good catch Chief,

No, it was the police. B) Ok, so an "n" is missing. :laughing:

How about this?

Beekeeping --- Playing with stinging bugs just to steal the bee puke (honey for the uninformed.) :rolleyes:

I am a great speller, just a poor typist. Ha! And certifiably nuts.

I am so glad to see this post! I was starting to get down on myself. I just started geocaching last week after reading an ad in Parents Magazine. I thought it would be so much fun and my 3 year old would love to go "treasure hunting". He does! He gets so excited to find the "toys" inside the caches.

My husband on the other hand thinks I'm insane and wasting my time. Every day he has given me grief about it. My Mother thinks I'm nuts but my Dad loves it. He used to do this years ago before GPS was around.

So now, I don't care what my hubby and mother say, I'm not giving up!!! :)

I am so glad to see this post! I was starting to get down on myself. I just started geocaching last week after reading an ad in Parents Magazine. I thought it would be so much fun and my 3 year old would love to go "treasure hunting". He does! He gets so excited to find the "toys" inside the caches.

My husband on the other hand thinks I'm insane and wasting my time. Every day he has given me grief about it. My Mother thinks I'm nuts but my Dad loves it. He used to do this years ago before GPS was around.

What really annoys me in anything that people do is that just because they don't like a thing they think that the whole world must conform to their ideas.

I am not a parent but I think it is a great way for you and your son to have some time together, all too soon he will be at school and then grown up. :rolleyes:

Technically, all hobbies are a waste of time. :)

When you really stop and think about a lot of hobbies, even the "mainstream" ones like golf, or fishing, any sport for that matter, are basically pretty silly....but that's not the point. Get out there and have fun at whatever it is you enjoy doing. I like to fly fish and tie my own flies...think about that. I use feathers, fur, synthetic materials and threads to try and trick a fish with a brain the size of a pea into thinking that "thing" I tied is food!!

Edited by mac367

When you really stop and think about a lot of hobbies, even the "mainstream" ones like golf, or fishing, any sport for that matter, are basically pretty silly....but that's not the point. Get out there and have fun at whatever it is you enjoy doing. I like to fly fish and tie my own flies...think about that. I use feathers, fur, synthetic materials and threads to try and trick a fish with a brain the size of a pea into thinking that "thing" I tied is food!!

I know the feeling. Around here, the only "acceptable" hobbies, it seems, are hunting, fishing, and following LSU sports, and if you're not into one or all of the above, or God forbid you're into something different entirely that just doesn't compute in their narrow little world view, they look at you like you have three heads. And the folks who are into the above are REALLY into them. They'll spend THOUSANDS of dollars annually on season tickets, hunting club dues, boats, ATV's, team merchandise, etc., burn up all their annual vacation time traveling to football games or the hunting camp....and alcohol....lots and lots and lots of alcohol. The level of obsession is incredible. I spent maybe $400 for a GPS, $30 a year for Premium membership, a few bucks for gas once in awhile, but I'M the one who's crazy 😳

Edited by Chief301

When I first stared geocaching my wife thought it was a strange activity and had no interest in it. That changed after joining me on a few hunts and now she enjoys it as much as I do. In fact maybe a bit more. Sometimes if we can't find a cache I practically have to pull her away and convince her to give it up because she is so focused on finding it.

I was at a scrapbooking weekend (my other hobby where I spend LOTS of money and don't move off my butt) and since I'm new to geocaching wanted to get the cache right near the hotel. After about 2 minutes of explainnig to my group what I was going to do I had 6 women following me asking questions. The hunt was on. After that 2 of them became hooked, one of them going out later that night at 4am and finding more caches. I found out on Facebook that she'd been out tramping around with out me!!! I was ticked off I wasn't invited but also thrilled I had a convert. LOL

I have been doing this for just over a month after my brother mac367 introduced me and my girls to it after fishing with him. He explained what Geocaching was and said there was something hidden in the woods and did we want to try and find it. We said yes and went, unfortunately the cache was missing. However on our way home my 14 year old kept talking about how cool it would be to geocache. So we went online figured out how to join and went out for our first find (which was successful). I have 3 daughters 14,12 & 11. And we have been out looking for caches almost everyday since. There are a lot near us so it is easy to grab 1 or 2.

I have told some people about this and i get a mixed reaction like most of us have. Some think it is a pointless waste of time others find it mildly interesting. The only people who really get are fellow geocachers. Both my brothers and their sons have geocached and as we have all been together a couple times recently we discuss cool finds and searches. My younger sister and her boys have begun now too thanks to my brother.

All in all...are we nuts? No. Are we a bit obsessed? Maybe. But I have to tell you, I have been having a blast spending time with my girls. We laugh a lot. Each of them wants to get the find. 2 have their own accounts now. We are planning our first hides. My youngest is so excited about hiding one, I had to buy camo duct tape today. They each have ideas about where to hide one.

If this is being nuts, then I am all for it.