Gotcha! Cache - Logs Involving Hooters Girls & Guns

reepicheep

Well we have a cache in the Atlanta area that has a couple of interesting logs recently.

One log involved a over-anxious cacher who got arrested after scaling a fence and accidently setting his gun off.

Another involved a cacher helping one of three Hoooters girls jogging to train for a race after she fell on the trail in front of him.

Here is the cache: Gotcha

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

Well we have a cache in the Atlanta area that has a couple of interesting logs recently.

One log involved a over-anxious cacher who got arrested after scaling a fence and accidently setting his gun off.

Another involved a cacher helping one of three Hoooters girls jogging to train for a race after she fell on the trail in front of him.

Here is the cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=de6a3a68-2f98-4686-ac75-63d2c1680f7f

Kenneth

If I'm in the area, I'll check that cache out! Interesting logs!

quote:
Originally posted by gpsdork:

Help a non-American. Why the gun? Do your caches run away or fight back?

FYI: Some people in the United States are required, as part of their jobs, to carry all the time. This commonly includes law enforcement officials. The rules on the vary from area to area, but no real worry there.

However, read the cache logs. All the logs. Once you do so, you'll quit taking the gun bit too seriously.

quote:
Originally posted by bons:

However, read the cache logs. All the logs. Once you do so, you'll quit taking the gun bit too seriously.

Well I haven't confirmed it yet, but I think there is more to this cache than meets the eye (or maybe alot less).

I read the logs again, and the wild stories along with the title of the cache has me believing that someone has "got me".

I should do it soon and will find out, however I'll have to keep the real story somewhat low-key for the sake of fellow Georgia cachers.

Kenneth

Help a non-American. Why the gun? Do your caches run away or fight back?

I dunno what it is about the guns. The forums are chock full of posts about how 'Thank god I always bring my glock while geocaching!' and the like..

In Canada we aren't exactly un-aquainted with guns, we just take them out when it's time to hunt is all.

One log involved a over-anxious cacher who got arrested after scaling a fence and accidentally setting his gun off.

I call B.S. A former FBI agent should know better than to carry a weapon with a cartridge in the chamber.

Another reason why geocachers shouldn’t carry guns.

Rather, a reason for proper firearms training!

Team Cottengim.

Edited by team_cottengim

I read this one just before the foums went down, and never got a chance to reply.

My thought was exactly why on earth is a gun in your pack, with a round in the chamber, AND cocked??

I mean really!! I can understand some people taking them with them, but if it is in your pack you are not expecting to have to draw fast, so why fully load it, and cock it??

Get real... or get smart!

Scott

Edited by McKenzie Clan

Wadcutter. You are correct for and office/agent who is in active (not retired or former as this one was) duty carrying his/her weapon in a holster. This pistol was in his backpack. No need for a chambered round there (as observed by McKenzie Clan). Also, not to bright to drop a backpack with a loaded weapon.

Guns are such a hot button topic in this country, we (gun owners) don't need seemily careless individuals such as this user making matters worse for us.

Guns are such a hot button topic in this country, we (gun owners) don't need seemily careless individuals such as this user making matters worse for us.

I've been in LE and toting a gun for 32+ yrs and have been a firearms instructor in LE and the military. I agree with the quoted part of your statement.

Who cares about the gun going off. The real moral of the story is sign up for a first aid class.

Lets remember the other log. Brought attractive woman back to life, treated her wounds, drove her to the hospital. All of this in front of her equally hot friends. If I were that Geocacher I'd go by and visit her at work to make sure was okay.

Edited by magellan315
I think you all mised something here, a gun inside a pack doesn't just "go off". Unless:

Auto is carried cocked-and-locked, with the saftey off

Revolver is carried cocked

Two very stupid ways to carry a gun.

Even with your quoted cases, the trigger would have to be exposed or the gun would have to be defective.

I assumed it was a rifle, carried loaded and slung, hence my 'idiot' comment above.

Any other set of circumstances that would result in an accidental discharge while climbing a fence strike me as being so improbable that I could not believe it, or so mind-numbingly stupid that I can't beleieve the person would still be alive.

ApK

Slightly off topic but…

Back in the 80’s I had a friend who, despite being in the AF with me, had never fired a pistol. We went out to a remote area where I showed him the features of the AMT Hardballer Longslide, a 1911 clone. Right before I handed it to him, I thumbed the safety up (on) and pointed downrange. “The gun will not fire with the safety on.” I stated. To demonstrate, I pulled the trigger and BOOM, the gun fired, the slide sheared the safety off, and I was sure glad I had the sense to be pointing it downrange (which you should be doing any time your finger is inside the trigger guard).

Back on topic…

Yes, I agree that there has to be some monumental defect in the gun for it to “go off” inside the pack, or the operator has some monumental defect in his/her intelligence. Sadly, it the latter that’s responsible for 99.9% of the cases.

Who cares about the gun going off. The real moral of the story is sign up for a first aid class.

Lets remember the other log. Brought attractive woman back to life, treated her wounds, drove her to the hospital. All of this in front of her equally hot friends. If I were that Geocacher I'd go by and visit her at work to make sure was okay.

Come on people! We all know that Geocachers ALWAYS put ONLY factual information in their logs! That is the truth! TRUST ME! I even heard somewhere that the FBI, through a deep cover operative, got a guy on the "Ten Most Wanted List" interested in Geocaching. The FBI then planted a cache and told the bad guy about it through an anonymous post. When the bad guy went to find the cache the FBI had the military launch a cruise missle to the site and they blew the guy up just after he had entered a FTF entry in the log.

I will not give up my right to carry a LAWs rocket in my shorts while Geocaching, no matter what people think.

Getting back to the original post, if the above Geocacher was REALLY a good Geocacher, he would post the numbers where these girls work so we could go by every day and check on them too! It's the least one could do to further the sport.

Have a nice day! ;)

For what it's worth, current gun laws lack enough teeth to be truly effective in keeping guns from who shouldn't have them, ultimately hurting those who SHOULD have them.

Unfortunately there is no solution to that problem. Here in the UK, we have some of the most draconian anti gun laws in the world, but unfortunately the wrong people can still easily get hold of them! Recently we had a nationwide gun amnesty, to try and remove illegally held guns of the streets, most of the guns actually handed in for destruction, were legally held licensed guns, which considering the amount of security they had to have in place before actually getting a licence to own a firearm which could have cost them over £1000, and that do's not include the cost of the gun. Having seen that the loose gun laws in the states, and the draconian laws in the UK don't work! Were do we go from there as even if all guns were banned, someone somewhere would still manufacture them for the criminal element.

Dave

The most recent log by TinSparrow for this cache puts the gun issue into perspective. TinSparrow experienced a painful injury that scares me far more than the gun, since I don't carry one of those. Not against anyone who does and I actually own one that is put away. I don't carry one because I have difficultly not dropping my cell phone at least once a day....I do not need to have anything more powerful than that in my possession.

That said, well wishes sent to TinSparrow!

I know this probably should be in the Garage Sale forum but this looks like a captive audience so please forgive this post.

This is to any of you who are using ANYTHING from or about the Gotcha cache as a basis or topic of your discussion/argument.

I have an excellent investment opportunity for you! I have some excellent condo units for sale in west Phoenix, Arizona. Each is prime ocean front property and comes with its own ocean view and white sand beach. They also have their very own outdoor ice rink in the back yard. Now how much would you pay, but wait! There's more.......<<<<slap>>>>

I'm going to Minnesota now to do some caching in the woods and I need some extra travel money so I'm offering these at a discount, first come first served. Cash or money orders only please.

Have a trade up day!

Darwinkle

That cache has bad luck written all over it! I think I will stay as far away from it as possible. I think maybe some anti-geocachers have some kind of ambush set up for the next impending geocacher to set off.

As for the "gun" debate. I think we should leave that out of all posts. Those of us that carry do so for good reason dispite what others think. And those of us that don't carry do so for good reason, despite what the others think. You can led a horse to water but you can't make them drink. (That is ment for both sides of the spetrum.)

Ken