Asking for help

GCmonkey

Is it considered bad etiquette to ask for help on a cache? I have a few that I have been looking for, but cannot find. I don't know if this is because I am a beginner and not sure what I am looking for, but I just cannot find them. I didn't know how everyone goes about finding a cache and was just wondering. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Depends on the CO, I guess. Most will be happy to give you a nudge in the right direction, especially since you're new. They put it out there to be found, they want you to find it. Some would rather not (especially if the hide is fiendishly tricky and they get their kicks from stumping people), and some just never reply to their emails or have quit playing.

If you don't get any response from the CO, try contacting the most recent finders and see if they can offer a hint.

In either case it's not considered bad etiquettte, unless you make a habit of doing it all the time without putting some honest effort into finding it yourself.

Edited by Chief301

Is it considered bad etiquette to ask for help on a cache? I have a few that I have been looking for, but cannot find. I don't know if this is because I am a beginner and not sure what I am looking for, but I just cannot find them. I didn't know how everyone goes about finding a cache and was just wondering. Thanks so much for all of your help!

What I usually do is explain where I looked and ask if I was in the right place...generally requesting they don't actually tell me exactly where it is. Occasionally they'll just tell me where it is anyway, but usually they will tell me if I'm "warm" (i.e., looking in the right spot).

I am new to all of this but I was told that it was free to use but you need a GPS or a phone app but the app is ten dollars why is that?

If you already have a GPS device you don't need anything else....just print out the cache description from the website, punch in the coordinates and go.

If you have a smartphone there are several different apps for Geocaching. Some are free, the official app from Groundspeak costs $10. But you don't absolutely have to have it for Geocaching, Many folks do it with a GPS and a basic membership, some even manage to do it without a GPS.

A lot of folks balk at the $10 price for an app. People tend to be spoiled to free or 99 cent apps and think $10 is an outrage, but for the fun I've had with it it's the best ten bucks I've ever spent

...but for the fun I've had with it it's the best ten bucks I've ever spent

$10 is really not that much...but...

You would think your $10 would get you continuing improvements and updates...it doesn't. :(

I have more than a few free apps that get better developer support. :(

I get updates. The latest version has several new features and improvements. There are still a couple of changes I'd like to see (street routing being the primary one) but overall I'm quite satisfied.

On a specific cache? It is best to ask the owner. They set the difficulty and it is up to them to lower it. If I had a cache that I wanted to be hard to find and everyone else was handing out the answer, there wouldn't be anymore cache.

That's my answer to the previous posters.

More to you. It takes practice to get your geo-sense. Start with the lower D/T caches cuz even those can be tricky at times. Talk to your local club and see if anyone is willing to go on a lunch-hour search just to show you a few cache hide styles. You might be surprised on how many people jump at the opportunity to go caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Question - Is there a way to set up notifications going to my email for newly placed caches? I've long wondered how people with FTFs get there so fast. They must have something set up to notify them in particular areas of new caches. Can you help?

Question - Is there a way to set up notifications going to my email for newly placed caches? I've long wondered how people with FTFs get there so fast. They must have something set up to notify them in particular areas of new caches. Can you help?

aha...another cacher bitten by the fever of becoming a new FTF'er... :laughing: good luck and happy caching...

geocaching ROCKS and is very seldom dull...Life is still an adventure...