Garmin eTrex 20 help?

Ugh... On my old Garmin it was easy enough to delete geocaches right from the GPS. How do I do it on my new etrex 20? Ive tried plugging into the computer and going through the files, but I still cant find any method that works. Deleting waypoints is perfectly simple, but not geocaches themselves. Help? Thanks

The geocaches are in the .GPX files.

You can upload a new GPX of the same name (or just delete the whole GPX file using the computer.

You can clear and reset the device, but I doubt that is what you are trying to do.

Someone else might correct me, but I don't believe you can delete individual Geocaches like you are trying to do.

Shaun

You are on the right track... but you need to delete the entire batch of GPX files. You cannot delete individual caches with the newer Garmin models. It's all or none.

Another way is to simply run a new PQ as it overwrites the old one.

Now -- if your question relates to caches that you have marked as Found, Not Found, etc., you can upload the field notes. That will remove the logged caches from the unit. As far as the field notes are concerned, if you have already logged those Finds, etc. online, just delete the field notes after uploading. You can find a link to field notes uploading on your Profile Page. Just follow the brand specific instructions, it's easy.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Well darn, that's annoying. Makes me want to go back to my old eterx Legend H. Oh well, I can deal with it! Thanks!!

Of course you could try the Owner's Manual:

Page 9 of E10/20/30 Manual

Deleting a Waypoint

1. Select Waypoint Manager

2. Select a waypoint.

3. Select Menu>Delete>Yes.

Geocaches are just Waypoints with a different 'flag'. Some you can ID and delete from mass storage mode.

This should work any waypoint.

Just thinking

Doug 7rxc

Well darn, that's annoying. Makes me want to go back to my old eterx Legend H. Oh well, I can deal with it! Thanks!!

Deleting a Waypoint

2. Select a waypoint.

Geocaches are just Waypoints with a different 'flag'. Some you can ID and delete from mass storage mode.

Geocaches are more than "just waypoints with a different flag." To the eTrex 10-30 waypoints and geocaches are TOTALLY different and have different storage limits. Page 9 of the manual is addresses waypoints, not geocaches and is of no help to the OP.

In mass storage mode, individual geocaches can be deleted by deleting the appropriate gpx file, typically the GCnumber.gpx IF they were loaded individually. If the cache was loaded as part of a PQ it is more difficult to delete the cache as you must delete/replace the PQ file and force the internal index to rebuild.

Not sure about the eTrex 10/20/30, but the Oregon (which I think is very similar) individual caches can be deleted, BUT you need to use Garmin's BaseCamp software. It will allow you to delete individual caches even though they are part of a group of caches in a single GPX file. With the newer Garmin GPSr's, Waypoints can be deleted as previously posted (manual reference), but geocaches are treated differently and cannot be deleted like waypoints. To get rid of geocaches, either you have to delete or overwrite the GPX file in the Garmin folder or use BaseCamp as I mentioned.

I am definitely not an expert on this, but this is my experience and no it is not as easy as the older Garmin units ie Venture HC

Your mileage may vary. :unsure:

Deleting a Waypoint

2. Select a waypoint.

Geocaches are more than "just waypoints with a different flag." To the eTrex 10-30 waypoints and geocaches are TOTALLY different and have different storage limits. Page 9 of the manual is addresses waypoints, not geocaches and is of no help to the OP.

In mass storage mode, individual geocaches can be deleted by deleting the appropriate gpx file, typically the GCnumber.gpx IF they were loaded individually. If the cache was loaded as part of a PQ it is more difficult to delete the cache as you must delete/replace the PQ file and force the internal index to rebuild.

Double Darn for me then... I guess all those caches in the Geocache list that I deleted that way last week must still be there... to bad I don't have the 20 so I can check. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it might be the difference between basic and PM for the G Communicator send to GPS downloads. I am basic so don't have PQ's or such. I have some testing to do if I can borrow it back. I did clean out the 20 completely using the USB storage route eventually. Wondering also if the lack of a microSD card makes a difference, they just had the onboard storage available. Always a mystery isn't there?

I can think of a few other questions, but don't have time right now. I can 'read' a .gpx file, what will show a 'waypoint' contents other than the GPS?

Doug 7rxc

Double Darn for me then... I guess all those caches in the Geocache list that I deleted that way last week must still be there... to bad I don't have the 20 so I can check. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it might be the difference between basic and PM for the G Communicator send to GPS downloads. I am basic so don't have PQ's or such. I have some testing to do if I can borrow it back. I did clean out the 20 completely using the USB storage route eventually. Wondering also if the lack of a microSD card makes a difference, they just had the onboard storage available. Always a mystery isn't there?

I can think of a few other questions, but don't have time right now. I can 'read' a .gpx file, what will show a 'waypoint' contents other than the GPS?

Doug 7rxc

Doug, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. With PQ's all the caches in them are loaded as one GPX file in the Garmin folder and can only be deleted as a complete file (GPX) without using BaseCamp. I think BaseCamp actually can modify the file, but the GPS is not capable of doing that. If you load individual caches they are listed/loaded as individual files and can be deleted one by one. As to having an SD card or not, shouldn't make any difference.

Another thought on your "success" in deleting them as waypoints. Could they have been originally loaded as waypoints instead of geocaches? When bringing them up on the GPSr, did you find them using the Geocache menu or the GoTo menu? Also were they listed as "Geocaches" or as "Waypoints"?

Disclaimer: I don't own an eTrex 10/20/30. I have an Oregon which after looking at online documentation appears to be very similar in operation.

Doug 7rxc

Hmmm, I think the basic downloads are .loc files which are very likely to be treated as waypoints. Before I got my e20, I never downloaded any cache data to my ancient eTrex. Instead I used pencil and notebook. Ahh those were the days, manual decoding hints in the field... But I digress.

I got my PM the same time I got my e20 so I never used .loc files. I think they contain only GC code, name, lat and lon, which really makes them a waypoint. So indeed the waypoint deletion in the unit will probably delete the .loc files. I suspect then the geocache limit doesn't apply either but rather the smaller waypoint limit applies. Interesting... As you say, a lot more questions.

Keep us posted if/when you get a chance to do some testing.

You can delete individual or blocks of caches using your PC and Garmins free Basecamp program, which also enables you to do a bunch of other stuff too. I use it for plotting routes as well as loading/deleting caches.

Thanks Sussamb for verifying what I have said in all of my posts in this thread (and some in other similar threads, too). I sometimes get the feeling that there is some kind of aversion with many, against using BaseCamp. Ha! I don't use it a lot, but at times it comes in very handy and is nice to have around. :laughing:

You can delete individual or blocks of caches using your PC and Garmins free Basecamp program, which also enables you to do a bunch of other stuff too. I use it for plotting routes as well as loading/deleting caches.

Thanks Sussamb for verifying what I have said in all of my posts in this thread (and some in other similar threads, too). I sometimes get the feeling that there is some kind of aversion with many, against using BaseCamp. Ha! I don't use it a lot, but at times it comes in very handy and is nice to have around. :laughing:

While I don't use BaseCamp I have no aversion to it. But because I don't use it and therefore don't know it's abilities, I don't cite it. But, to the point of this thread, BaseCamp doesn't run in the GPS, and the OP wanted to delete caches within the GPS. Per 7rxc it looks like it is possible if the caches are loaded as .loc files.

OP stated, "Ive tried plugging into the computer and going through the files, but I still cant find any method that works."

Without beating a dead horse, BaseCamp was mentioned as it is what is needed/required to delete individual caches as the OP was trying to do. The OP knew how to delete "waypoints' as he stated in his post, but with GC's he couldn't find a way to accomplish it. If they are in fact .gpx files, unless individually listed in the GPSr, BaseCamp is the only way to do what OP asked (delete individual caches which were loaded as a group in ONE .gpx file.

Just saying......... :laughing:

OP stated, "Ive tried plugging into the computer and going through the files, but I still cant find any method that works."

Without beating a dead horse, BaseCamp was mentioned as it is what is needed/required to delete individual caches as the OP was trying to do. The OP knew how to delete "waypoints' as he stated in his post, but with GC's he couldn't find a way to accomplish it. If they are in fact .gpx files, unless individually listed in the GPSr, BaseCamp is the only way to do what OP asked (delete individual caches which were loaded as a group in ONE .gpx file.

Just saying......... :laughing:

Mea culpa. I deserve that (and the gentle wake up from sussamb) for relying on my memory instead of taking 5 seconds to reread the OP. Sigh...

Not really on topic I guess, but as a solution to an E20 question we ran into today it almost fits, if not to the deletion problem.

Trying to hunt a series of 'private,temporary' caches for a local town event. The experienced cacher who owned the E20 was frustrated by being told that the first cache sought was 70 km or so away, when my map60cx said it was just 25 metres from where we stood. After some serious thinking, we concluded that the problem was easily solved.

In fact it was not in error, it was in fact a minor 'brane' malfunction only. Point is when you go caching, remember to take the GPS out of Simulation mode. :rolleyes: After that all were quickly found by them.

Always take the time to think through problems and look for solutions. Fingers are the biggest cause, and 'brane' malfunctions a close second... hardware and software can and do of course, but it's usually the operator.

Still trying to get one back to play with this week.

Doug 7rxc

My Etrex 20 has been quite frustrating lately, but one thing I do find easy is at the end of the day deleting the caches that I have found one by one. Apologies if someone else has already sorted this.

First of all make a note of the cache id number, then I plug the 20 into my computer. I go into 'my computer' and look in the 'devices with removable storage'. I select the garmin by double clicking it and on the next screen double click 'garmin'. This then gives me a long list and I double click on 'GPX'. This then gives me a list of all the caches (by number) stored on my 20. I just find the individual cache numbers that I want and highlight them and delete.

Has that been helpful or indeed made any sense? It works for me :)

My Etrex 20 has been quite frustrating lately, but one thing I do find easy is at the end of the day deleting the caches that I have found one by one. Apologies if someone else has already sorted this.

First of all make a note of the cache id number, then I plug the 20 into my computer. I go into 'my computer' and look in the 'devices with removable storage'. I select the garmin by double clicking it and on the next screen double click 'garmin'. This then gives me a long list and I double click on 'GPX'. This then gives me a list of all the caches (by number) stored on my 20. I just find the individual cache numbers that I want and highlight them and delete.

Has that been helpful or indeed made any sense? It works for me :)

Again... if you're plugging it into the computer, just fire up Basecamp, which sorts your geocaches by found/not-found (really by icon) so you can select the whole list of found caches and delete them all at once.

Good afternoon to all! I want to buy a GPS Garmin eTrex 30.

Can anyone tell me if the information on this site caches geocaching, gps passes for all, including the tip desincriptada, images, texts, various coordinates, etc.. Thank you for your help. greetings

Good afternoon to all! I want to buy a GPS Garmin eTrex 30.

Can anyone tell me if the information on this site caches geocaching, gps passes for all, including the tip desincriptada, images, texts, various coordinates, etc.. Thank you for your help. greetings

The only difference between an eTrex 20 and an eTrex 30 is the electronic compass, barometric altimeter, and the ability to wirelessly transfer data to another Garmin unit with that feature.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=87774&compareProduct=87771

Thus, yes, anything here applies to the eTrex 30, too. Really, everything in this thread applies to all modern Garmin units.