Pocket Query > 1000 for GSAK

acompofelice

Ok, so quick question. I use GSAK to keep a database of my found caches, do my statistics, etc.. and have, up to this point, managed OK because I've had under 1000 caches found. Now I have over 1000 and am wondering if I'm going to have to redesign my queries to handle the additional caches.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do you do it by state? Date placed? Type of container?

Any guidance would help on this, Thanks in advance

Anthony aka ACompofelice

:rolleyes:

You're doing it wrong. On the PQ page below the created ones there is a button "My Finds Query". Use that one for your finds. It will return all of them in one file.

^This

The special My Finds PQ will return every cache you've found, without restriction. It will give you all of your finds, be it 10 or 10000. It will also give you any archived or retracted caches, which the regular PQs won't have been doing.

Pocket Query ≠ My Finds Query as noted in previous posts.

A PQ operates on your set parameters and is distance limited; a My Finds Query operates on your logs that you have filed -- regardless of type, distance, archived or not. There is nothing to "set" on a My Finds Query, just hit the [Add To Queue] button. Nothing more.

Ok, so I agree with what your saying on the My Finds button and such. Part of the reason I use a PQ is to download it directly into GSAK. Unless someone can guide me how, I don't think that is possible on the My Finds query.

I run my PQ everyday so it's updated whenever I go into GSAK and download.

Ok, so I agree with what your saying on the My Finds button and such. Part of the reason I use a PQ is to download it directly into GSAK. Unless someone can guide me how, I don't think that is possible on the My Finds query.

I run my PQ everyday so it's updated whenever I go into GSAK and download.

You can download the results of the My Finds PQ just the same as any other PQ.

It is true that you can't run it every day, though. And it won't be delivered as an email attachment, either.

I have two databases in GSAK.

One is for every cache ever placed in Arizona, and one is for the caches in Arizona that I might like to find.

When I find some caches, I download the individual .gpx file for each one.

Then I load them into GSAK (in the database of caches I want(ed) to find), filter for found caches, and move them to the other database, which actually contains every cache I have found regardless of what State it was in.

Now one database has all my finds in it, and the other has caches I still need to find.

One minor correction: You can't download the My Finds pocket query directly into GSAK using the "Download pocket queries" entry in the "Geocaching.com access" menu. It's the only pocket query Groundspeak blocks from downloading this way. You're required to download the file to your PC from the Web site, then open it in GSAK using the "Load GPX/LOC/ZIP" entry in the File menu.

--Larry

One minor correction: You can't download the My Finds pocket query directly into GSAK using the "Download pocket queries" entry in the "Geocaching.com access" menu. It's the only pocket query Groundspeak blocks from downloading this way. You're required to download the file to your PC from the Web site, then open it in GSAK using the "Load GPX/LOC/ZIP" entry in the File menu.

Or just Drag-n-Drop it into GSAK. :)

This is all great information, Thanks. I think, for the time being, I may split up PQs by state. That will buy me a little time. Then after that, use the My Finds query and drag into GSAK. Not ideal, but it'll work. I wish GC allowed more entries to be downloaded in the PQs. At least for Premiums members.

--Larry

I stand corrected! :)

I never use that method, since I also have those single-cache .gpx files to load.

This is all great information, Thanks. I think, for the time being, I may split up PQs by state. That will buy me a little time. Then after that, use the My Finds query and drag into GSAK. Not ideal, but it'll work. I wish GC allowed more entries to be downloaded in the PQs. At least for Premiums members.

Remember that caches have been archived since you found them will not be captured by the method you are using.

Remember that caches have been archived since you found them will not be captured by the method you are using.

Good point. I just checked and 25% of my finds are archived.

Or just Drag-n-Drop it into GSAK. :)

That works, too, unless you always open GSAK in full-screen mode as I do. :rolleyes:

--Larry

In that case, just drag the GPX file to the icon in your task bar (that will then show the GSAK screen and you can then drop)

So last night I tried the method suggested of dragging in the GPx file from the My Finds query and it did indeed work properly. It also, as stated, updated the archived ones as well. I guess I'll have to use this method, even with its "once every three days" limitation.

Thanks for all the commentary no suggestions guys. I knew I turned to the right place biggrin.gif

Anthony

I got directed to this old series of posts as I am trying to solve my problem of downloading pocket queries directly in GSAK. A few years ago I could just pull down the download pocket queries and GSAK would automatically download any existing pocket queries or ones I checked into my GSAK data base. At some point that stopped on both my computers. I now unzip and then load each pocket query individually. (About 5 each day) I maintain a data base of all Minnesota active caches plus some neighboring area I cache in. I have tried to get this fixed through the GSAK forum without success. Anyway on this line you are talking about dropping the query into GSAK. How does this work? I can not seem to get it to work. I have unzipped the pocket query and then tried to drop it into GSAK, but nothing happens. THanks for any assistance.

I got directed to this old series of posts as I am trying to solve my problem of downloading pocket queries directly in GSAK. A few years ago I could just pull down the download pocket queries and GSAK would automatically download any existing pocket queries or ones I checked into my GSAK data base. At some point that stopped on both my computers. I now unzip and then load each pocket query individually. (About 5 each day) I maintain a data base of all Minnesota active caches plus some neighboring area I cache in. I have tried to get this fixed through the GSAK forum without success. Anyway on this line you are talking about dropping the query into GSAK. How does this work? I can not seem to get it to work. I have unzipped the pocket query and then tried to drop it into GSAK, but nothing happens. THanks for any assistance.

GSAK forum really is the best place to get answers...