Funny stuff on topo maps

parkrrrr

I wonder whether that's just coincidence. I've never noticed anything like that before*, but now that you've piqued my curiousity, I'll start paying closer attention from now on. icon_smile.gif

*Except, of course, that if you look at an aerial view of my state (Michigan), it looks kinda like a mitten. Eerie, huh? icon_wink.gif (Or, maybe that would be 'Erie'...as in lake. icon_razz.gif)

I wonder whether that's just coincidence. I've never noticed anything like that before*, but now that you've piqued my curiousity, I'll start paying closer attention from now on. icon_smile.gif

*Except, of course, that if you look at an aerial view of my state (Michigan), it looks kinda like a mitten. Eerie, huh? icon_wink.gif (Or, maybe that would be 'Erie'...as in lake. icon_razz.gif)

Holy crap! Maybe its all the Heineken coursing through me at the moment, but that is awesome! Kinda freaky too though... I wonder if the people who laid out those streets did that on purpose... perhaps I should start looking really closely at the shapes of streets on maps...

I'm sure it was just coincidence... our brains are very good at identifying patterns and shapes, so we tend to see significance in random things.

Kinda like seeing the face of Jesus (or Elvis, or Steve Buscemi) on a tortilla.

Actually, this reminds me of a tree in front of my office. The bark has cracks on it which spell out the word "ERMINE" as clear as day. The cracks are natural, not carved.

I had a day's worth of head-scratching over that one. [:D]

-- Doppler

I'm sure it was just coincidence... our brains are very good at identifying patterns and shapes, so we tend to see significance in random things.

Kinda like seeing the face of Jesus (or Elvis, or Steve Buscemi) on a tortilla.

Actually, this reminds me of a tree in front of my office. The bark has cracks on it which spell out the word "ERMINE" as clear as day. The cracks are natural, not carved.

I had a day's worth of head-scratching over that one. [icon_biggrin.gif]

-- Doppler

This thread reminds me of a little thing I found in the DeLorme Gazetteer for Washington State.

Bigfoot is rumored to walk the area around Mt. St. Helens (see a cache based in turn on an ad campaign surrounding this here). Some stories claim that nearby Ape Cave received its name from Bigfoot sightings in the area. If you look in the Gazetteer on the page that shows Mt. St. Helens, you'll see a little Bigfoot character (look about 7 miles due north of Spirit Lake, just south of the border of Lewis County).

I've always wondered if DeLorme does similar things in the other state gazetteers. I have copies of some other states, but don't browse them often enough to have picked out such things if they are there.

24_700.gif

I read about DeLorme putting weird things like this in their atlases so I checked the Illinois map. Sure enough, I found something. I won't say what or where it is, but it is related to actual Illinois history. Actual as opposed to Bigfoot type things.

I apologize if you think Bigfoot is real. icon_razz.gif

rdw

I read about DeLorme putting weird things like this in their atlases so I checked the Illinois map. Sure enough, I found something. I won't say what or where it is, but it is related to actual Illinois history. Actual as opposed to Bigfoot type things.

I apologize if you think Bigfoot is real. icon_razz.gif

rdw

I thought this one was pretty cool the first time I saw it. Granted, I was 31000 feet above it and it took me about an hour when I got home to find it in an atlas.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=3674628&e=418590

Those weird things in maps are essentially watermarks to prevent unauthorized duplication. If your competitors maps show up with a street spelling out "MAP", you know where they got their data.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

I thought this one was pretty cool the first time I saw it. Granted, I was 31000 feet above it and it took me about an hour when I got home to find it in an atlas.

That is interesting. I notice that the 1:25000 map only has one of them, and it's in "revision purple"; I suppose the second was added later. I guess that's one way to get as many houses on the edge of a golf course as you can; whoever designed that community was quite clearly an unsung hero of the real-estate profession.

quote:
Those weird things in maps are essentially watermarks to prevent unauthorized duplication. If your competitors maps show up with a street spelling out "MAP", you know where they got their data.

I've heard those called "copyright traps." I've actually seen at least one. Somewhere I have an old Rand McNally street map of Houston, TX where an otherwise normal divided highway suddenly develops a lot of bridges as you reach the south edge of the map; they've twisted it into a crazy sort of double-helix thing. I've driven on that highway; I know it doesn't really do that (and why would it?) I suspect that is a copyright trap (though slightly less obviously so than Bigfoot.)

The MAP on the topo map, though, isn't a copyright trap; you can see it on aerial photos:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=11&T=1&X=1658&Y=11541&Z=16&W=2

Speaking of topo maps for Steuben County, IN... there seems to be another anomaly near where the "MAP" appears, and since I've seen it on two websites I have to assume that it's traceable to the original DRG images from USGS. If you're looking at the 1:25000 images and you go a few miles further south, you can actually see the lower edge of a printed USGS map:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=41.62528&lon=-85.01611&s=25

quote:

I'm pretty sure that's the retirement community of Sun Lakes. Retirement trailer parks and housing communities out here have been getting cute with street design for about 40 years now. East Mesa has/had a number of trailer parks with interesting designs.

this isn't really anything wierd i've seen on a topo map, but something kind of different--i placed a cache on a lake that has at least two signs identifying it as "carl's lake", but when i went to post it online, the map on geocaching.com named it "macmahon lake", and every map i looked at had the same thing--delorme, usgs, mapquest, etc. how do you explain that?

When I met my wife ( who of course was my girlfriend at the time ) she took me to a Berks County landmark - THE PAGODA. Its a real Japanese Pagoda that was given for some reason to Reading, PA.

It sits on "Skyline Drive" which is a neat road along the ridgetop. She took me to the overlook and made me stare down at the city. When she was a teenager, the kids would come there for a good chuckle.

Supposedly, a series of streets below spelled out "****" in the curves of the streets and especially the street lights.

I looked and looked until my eyes crosses and I didnt see a single stinking letter - let alone a complete word that adolescents could laugh at.

I dont know if this mystery would appear on a Reading street map or a 7.5' topo. I dont even know if it ever appeared for real.

But, potentially it might be something odd on a map. Whatever.

:-P

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

When I met my wife ( who of course was my girlfriend at the time ) she took me to a Berks County landmark - THE PAGODA. Its a real Japanese Pagoda that was given for some reason to Reading, PA.

It sits on "Skyline Drive" which is a neat road along the ridgetop. She took me to the overlook and made me stare down at the city. When she was a teenager, the kids would come there for a good chuckle.

Supposedly, a series of streets below spelled out "****" in the curves of the streets and especially the street lights.

I looked and looked until my eyes crosses and I didnt see a single stinking letter - let alone a complete word that adolescents could laugh at.

I dont know if this mystery would appear on a Reading street map or a 7.5' topo. I dont even know if it ever appeared for real.

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mwmm15T:

... i placed a cache on a lake that has at least two signs identifying it as "carl's lake", but when i went to post it online, the map on geocaching.com named it "macmahon lake", and every map i looked at had the same thing--delorme, usgs, mapquest, etc. how do you explain that?

Maybe it was presented to Carl after he won it from Ed MacMahon in one of those "you may have already won!" contests.

And why am I responding to such an old post??

Yeah, I know about the spellings ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mwmm15T:

... i placed a cache on a lake that has at least two signs identifying it as "carl's lake", but when i went to post it online, the map on geocaching.com named it "macmahon lake", and every map i looked at had the same thing--delorme, usgs, mapquest, etc. how do you explain that?

Maybe it was presented to Carl after he won it from Ed MacMahon in one of those "you may have already won!" contests.

And why am I responding to such an old post??

Yeah, I know about the spellings ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kd7mxi:

what did garman say?

Garmin, Garman, and/or Garmen probably don't really have much at all to say about whatever copyright traps might be present in DeLorme maps. In any case, I'm not really interested in copyright traps anyway (though if someone knows where/what the one for Indiana is, I might take a few minutes to look it up in my Atlas & Gazetteer and scan it.)

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

In any case, I'm not really interested in copyright traps anyway (though if someone knows where/what the one for Indiana is, I might take a few minutes to look it up in my Atlas & Gazetteer and scan it.)

I haven't scanned it - yet - but I did find the one for Indiana. Not unsurprisingly, it has to do with basketball. If that's not enough information to find it in your copy, you're throwing those stones at the wrong Bird.

(yeah, yeah, old post. Still fun, though.)

warm.gif

This isn't terribly interesting or unusual I suppose, but it is kinda neat to see in person:

Dawes Aerial

IIRC, they were made out of bushes or trees until they were full grown, they then ripped 'em out, and started over again. I think this photo may have been taken at the beginning of the next growing phase. I haven't been there for over a decade - not sure what they look like now.

If anyone has any current info on this place, feel free to share. icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

This isn't terribly interesting or unusual I suppose, but it is kinda neat to see in person:

Dawes Aerial

IIRC, they were made out of bushes or trees until they were full grown, they then ripped 'em out, and started over again. I think this photo may have been taken at the beginning of the next growing phase. I haven't been there for over a decade - not sure what they look like now.

If anyone has any current info on this place, feel free to share. icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

quote:

quote:

In any case, I'm not really interested in copyright traps anyway (though if someone knows where/what the one for Indiana is, I might take a few minutes to look it up in my Atlas & Gazetteer and scan it.)

I haven't scanned it - yet - but I did find the one for Indiana. Not unsurprisingly, it has to do with basketball. If that's not enough information to find it in your copy, you're throwing those stones at the wrong Bird.

(yeah, yeah, old post. Still fun, though.)

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

Look at the location for Mt. Baldy in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. It is in the far eastern part of the park according to the NPS, yet my atlas has it on the western side of the state park.

quote:
Originally posted by Pulaski:

I dont know if this mystery would appear on a Reading street map or a 7.5' topo . I dont even know if it ever appeared for real.

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

Seven and a Half Foot Topo??? Now *that* is One BIg MAP! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pulaski:

I dont know if this mystery would appear on a Reading street map or a 7.5' topo . I dont even know if it ever appeared for real.

PULASKI icon_eek.gif

Seven and a Half Foot Topo??? Now *that* is One BIg MAP! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif

I found something on a map I had for over a year. This was found on the West Virginia Gazetteer--a coal mining cardinal. About 16-17 miles from three caches we hid. The closest cache is WV's oldest cache about 12 miles away from the cardinal.

It's just outside of a Wildlife Management Area. I wonder if any of these spots that Delorme marked would prove to be interesting places to hide a cache.

coalcardinal.jpg