Garmin Monterra

Catch

Been looking forward to this but the column doesn't answer one question. Can I use wifi to access the froggies website and download PQ's as well as upload my field notes. Since it is android I presume I can download Chrome to do that will make trip to REI when it becomes available.

Been looking forward to this but the column doesn't answer one question. Can I use wifi to access the froggies website and download PQ's as well as upload my field notes. Since it is android I presume I can download Chrome to do that will make trip to REI when it becomes available.

I'm going to say it will do what you want. From the press release: "...users can easily access the Google Play Store™ and download apps through an available WiFi connection right on the device."

I wonder if the GC or c:geo apps would work on this thing...

I would think so, at least when you have a wi-fi connection.

They would be in offline mode when out in the field, unless you were able to create a wi-fi hotspot with a smartphone, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of running those apps on the Monterra.

Interesting looking unit...way out of my pricepoint though.

And it comes with a basemap.........one day they will be charging $2000 and it still won't come with a $70 detail map.

I'm sure there will be "T" versions that include detailed maps just like all of the other Garmin models.....

I wonder if the GC or c:geo apps would work on this thing...

I would think so, at least when you have a wi-fi connection.

They would be in offline mode when out in the field, unless you were able to create a wi-fi hotspot with a smartphone, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of running those apps on the Monterra.

Interesting looking unit...way out of my pricepoint though.

It might be great. Download the GC.com app, and save any caches you want. then use the app to find the caches offline. You wouldn't need a connection to WIFI because it already gets a better GPS signal. It's the answer to everyone wanting a GPSr with all the features of the app.

I'm going to say it will do what you want. From the press release: "...users can easily access the Google Play Store™ and download apps through an available WiFi connection right on the device."

But that doesn't answer the question. If it has no support for an internet browser, then it doesn't matter if it can download apps or not.

It sounds like it will be a normal Android device, so any browser should work fine. The other plus is it will be able to use any Garmin map, which is a big thing. And, of course, proper access to the whole file system right on the device.

You download apps from the Google Play Store, so why would you not be able to access the internet? Get a browser, make a pocket query, get it sent to you email account, access your email account, download the zip file, unzip it, and place it in the appropriate place. What makes you thin kit doesn't have access to an internet browser? It's running android and can run apps from the store. In order to access the store, Google requires your device to be qualified which means it has to meet certain requirements. Why would a device have wifi and be able to connect to the play store but not be able to access the internet? In order to access the play store, you have to have an internet connection. Therefore, you can access the internet because you have access to the play store. If it doesn't come with a browser then download your favorite one from the store.

The reason I am unsure is because of this description from garmin

Wireless sharing is easy with Monterra. It has WiFi, ANT+™, Bluetooth 3.0 and NFC capabilities, which allows users to share data, maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, and geocaches with other wireless compatible devices. Additionally, Monterra is compatible with BaseCamp™, a free software download that lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes and tracks.

Notice the use of the word SHARE with other devices. I am not going to assume it has browser capability on wifi. In fact tha absence of a statement saying that it does makes me assume it doesn't. It seems that they would tout that prominently if it could do that.

At this point I doubt it will have that capability.

And it comes with a basemap.........one day they will be charging $2000 and it still won't come with a $70 detail map.

I'm sure there will be "T" versions that include detailed maps just like all of the other Garmin models.....

I think the " T " models have topo.......I don't think any come with detailed street maps, just the worthless base map.

At this point I doubt it will have that capability.

That is a crazy statement. Of course it has internet access. The sharing is referring to ANT+ sharing with other Garmin devices.

I disagree it will only have internet access through the wifi not generally and the sentence as constructed makes the clause starting with share apply to all four. There is no mention anywhere that it will access the froggies website to download pq's or that you will be allowed to run a browser like chrome on it. We shall see.