Just Getting Started

LizzyandCo

Hello, all. :) I recently got back into geocaching after a year+ hiatus (my geocaching buddy, my dog, passed on and I couldn't go without him for awhile). I was poking around the internet looking for...uh, I don't even remember what now, because I was distracted by the Oh! Shiny! Pretty! Collectible? :shocked: Ohhhh...the idea of artwork on such a small scale just enthralls me.

This is the one that really grabbed my attention, then I starting looking on eBay, every other geocaching site I could think of, and long story short a couple of the pretty shinies are now on their way to me. Just had a couple of questions I was hoping some more experienced folks could answer...

- where do you find all these? In the threads here I saw dragon coins, Appalachian Trail coins, Alice in Wonderland, state coins...but when you go to the official Geocaching store or Geoswag there are some cool ones but really not very many. :-/ How do you find out when new ones (I gather many are privately minted and don't ever show up in a store like those?) are made?

- how do you store/display your coins? I don't really like the idea of just leaving them in a box. What creative and pretty ways do you show off your coins?

- is it against Geo-etiquette to never release a coin into a cache? I'd kind of rather keep them, considering how many times trackables seem to go missing in caches.

- I'm sure I had another question but I've forgotten it at the moment. So, any advice for the novice geocoin collector?

You buy ones you can't find in your local stores from other cachers.

It's not my cup of tea, but it's not against etiquette to only collect coins and not leave in a cache. Just don't go collecting other people's coins from caches, because that IS against etiquette and against the rules.

Collecting coins isn't new. Military, Service and Organization coins have been around a long time. Geocoins (trackable) are a relatively recent concept. So collecting them as any other is certainly not out of the question.

There are geocoin fans (read as 'fanatics') have HUGE collections. It can become addictive.

Hand-to-hand trading for exquisite and rare coins has pretty much always existed. That is probably the best way to obtain those unique items.

Edit to add: Of course you could have your own design minted. Just a few (per piece, expensive) or a huge lot size (per piece, less expensive).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Collecting coins isn't new. Military, Service and Organization coins have been around a long time. Geocoins (trackable) are a relatively recent concept. So collecting them as any other is certainly not out of the question.

There are geocoin fans (read as 'fanatics') have HUGE collections. It can become addictive.

Hand-to-hand trading for exquisite and rare coins has pretty much always existed. That is probably the best way to obtain those unique items.

Edit to add: Of course you could have your own design minted. Just a few (per piece, expensive) or a huge lot size (per piece, less expensive).

I've seen military coins, have a few from my dad's unit. But geocoins seem to commemorate so many more things (books, historical figures, places, events). The whole coin thing had just never really grabbed me until now! Are there trading websites, meet-ups, etc.?

stijnhommes, when you say local stores do you mean online stores? I know that sounds like a really stupid question, but I haven't ever seen coins like these sold in brick-and-mortar stores...

Just don't go collecting other people's coins from caches, because that IS against etiquette and against the rules.

Are pathtags supposed to be treated the same way? I understand those are more like signature items, but since they are trackable as well they are not to be collected from caches, just moved from cache to cache, right?

Welcome back!!! :)

This is a great thread to see how people store/display their collections....

Your Geocoin Collection

Right now mine are on two folding tables....(my pic is in the thread Post #236) Some day I hope to get cabinets.

I mostly find out about the new coins through this forum or by facebook (you need to friend the designers). Or you can sign up for many website's newsletters.

I don't believe it is against the rules to never release a coin into the wild. I've released two and both were stolen. :( One made it to one other cache, the other one never travelled anywhere. I most likely won't be releasing anymore.

If you want to move the pathtags along, you are more than welcome to, but I don't think they gain mileage like the coins. You may keep the pathtags you find in caches :) (But remember to trade up or trade even) :)

Hi LizzyAndCo,

Welcome to the most addictive hobby there is: collecting geocoins. I am a newby collector also who started collecting after i found my first coin in a cache, i think it was february this year.

Almost all coins are sold by webshops or owners them selves and if you want to keep up with the latest coins or upcomming coins this forum is probably the best place to read. You can also join some other groups like the ones on facebook. I don't know if i an allowed to give shop addresses but send me a pm if you like to have some urls.

As long as you don't take coins from caches you are free to do with them whatever you like so not sending them out and keep then save at home is fine :-)

Some people aend out proxy coins , those are "copies" of the coin with the same tracking number as the real one. By doing so you have your precious save at home and if the copy gets lost you can replace it with a new copy. Some people believe you should not send out proxy coins, others think it's ok. It's up to you.

If you have never send out a trackable i advise you to do so at least once, it's so much fun to see where your coin is going.

You can activate (register the coin so it is attached to your geocaching account) the coins and let others discover them or keep them unactivated. If you plan to sell some of your coins later it is best to keep them unactivated. Never, ever show the coins trackable number on pictures or post them on public sites because other people can activate them or log false discoveries. Ofcourse, i you allow people to discover your coins they can have the tracking code (once the coin is activated).

Storage, there are a zillion ways of storing your coins, i keep them in special coin binders but the disadvantage is that you won't see them unless you ppen the binders :-) some people buy/ create picture frames for their coins. If you search this forum can see some creative solutions.

Have fun with your new addiction !

Are there trading websites, meet-ups, etc.?

Many of the larger events will have coin trading -- both Geowoodstock events I've attended had dedicated coin trading areas/events around them and Groundspeak sets aside an area for coin trading at the Block Party events. There's also the Geocoinfest events each year that focus on sales and trades of coins - this year's US event is in Las Vegas in October.

I know that sounds like a really stupid question, but I haven't ever seen coins like these sold in brick-and-mortar stores...

There are a few brick-and-mortar stores that sell Geocoins. Some sporting goods stores are starting to stock a few (I know REI does). Apart from that there are starting to be a few more dedicated storefronts. I've visited two -- Oakcoins has a small store in their office in Utah that sells coins they've made and Space Coast Geocachers in Florida has had a good mix of coins from most coin makers.

If you can make it to a major event like Geocoinfest, Geowoodstock or the Groundspeak Block Party there will usually be a vendor area with coin sales.

Thank you all for the information and links! There are some AMAZING coin collections in the storage ideas thread. Holy cow. :blink: Sadly I won't be able to make Geocoinfest (on the opposite side of the country from me, I'm in Virginia) but this forum seems very active and I'm sure it will keep me busy for awhile!

Thanks also for the coin etiquette advice. ;) I'm worried I will do something rude out of ignorance not intent and then end up making people angry. :ph34r:

One last question (that I'm sure can vary some based on the individual): if people have a coins for trade list, is it assumed that they don't want to actually outright sell those coins? Since I currently only have a few I don't have anything I'd want to trade, so... :unsure:

One last question (that I'm sure can vary some based on the individual): if people have a coins for trade list, is it assumed that they don't want to actually outright sell those coins? Since I currently only have a few I don't have anything I'd want to trade, so...

That will depend on the person, you can always ask, or ask if there is a coin available in a store that you can purchace for them, I have done that more then a few times as we do not sell our personal coins.

Good luck with your new addiction.

The people in these forums are great at helping answer your questions and also very generous. We still read posts here daily after 3 years. Watch for the occasional contest (cointests) here as you may have a chance to win new coins, we don't see them as much anymore but we have done quite a few here and won 5-6. Got some very nice personal coins. This was great when we first started and had no coins to trade.

Edited by seekerfamily