Category idea...

I have an idea for a group to propose a category, but I'm not sure if its too similar to other groups or not. I would like to think it is different enough, but people who don't understand it might not recognise it.

This is going to be a little confusing, but the basic concept is this:

Within London city lies another much smaller city. It is called the "City of London" (it was there first). They are indeed two different cities. To get a good idea of how this works you could watch these two videos:

The City of London (the ancient one) is a very wealthy corporation. It owns and operates many businesses, lands and structures outside of its city limits. Most, if not all of the property of the City of London will bear a marker, indicating ownership. This marker is usually a crest or a dragon. Like this:

320px-Tower_Bridge_Plaque_with_City_of_London_Crest_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1705792.jpg

4167095188_306b6d6356_m_d.jpg

This is where the lines get a little blurry.

Could the proposed new category be for "the City of London crest/marker"? The idea is to find businesses, structures or land which is owned by the corporation of the city of London., make the waymark the location of the marker/coat of arms.

I know there is a category for coat of Arms, and while it is true that the indicator of City of London is a coat of arms, I think this is a little different for the above reasons ... Or perhaps if that wont work, the category could be for "property of the City of London", as indicated by the crest or marker. The waymark would be the property itself, rather than the coat of arms.

Does anyone have any opinions about this idea? I think it would be cool to see how far reaching the property of the City of London is, by way of Waymarking.

Cheers - The Talent.

Edited by The Talent

I would say a category limited that geographically would have little chance of getting through peer review. There is a category for London Coal Tax posts but I don't think that category would make it today.

Businesses, land and structures owned by the city of London are quite far reaching, extending throughout most of the UK. If it were just in London city only, or even just that south east england region I would agree totally, but from what I am lead to believe, the corporation of the city of London owns a lot more than most might expect. The aim of this waymark is to see just how wide its reach is.

I would say a category limited that geographically would have little chance of getting through peer review. There is a category for London Coal Tax posts but I don't think that category would make it today.

Businesses, land and structures owned by the city of London are quite far reaching, extending throughout most of the UK. If it were just in London city only, or even just that south east england region I would agree totally, but from what I am lead to believe, the corporation of the city of London owns a lot more than most might expect. The aim of this waymark is to see just how wide its reach is.

One problem is that you have to convince US that the category is far-reaching/global in order for it to pass peer review. This is one reason the forum discussions BEFORE peer review are so helpful!

One problem is that you have to convince US that the category is far-reaching/global in order for it to pass peer review. This is one reason the forum discussions BEFORE peer review are so helpful!

Does a waymark category really have to be global though?

There are heaps of categories which are almost state or region specific. some categories are pretty small with less than 150 possible waymarks world wide. I guess a lot of them might be from before peer reviews and guidelines got tougher.

I think that this category is further reaching than lots of others and has lots of potential waymarks, too.

I really do appreciate these forums. I'm reasonably new to Waymarking and already I have gotten loads of understanding out of them.

There are heaps of categories which are almost state or region specific. some categories are pretty small with less than 150 possible waymarks world wide. I guess a lot of them might be from before peer reviews and guidelines got tougher.

I think that this category is further reaching than lots of others and has lots of potential waymarks, too.

I really do appreciate these forums. I'm reasonably new to Waymarking and already I have gotten loads of understanding out of them.

It is much more difficult to get a category through peer review now than before and regional categories now have great difficulty unless they are truly exceptional.

Another problem here is that you are asking for a category where each of the locations can already be waymarked in the Coat of Arms category and the new category would be restricted to a specific coat of arms. Many categories overlap others but having a category that is really a subset of another is a real redundancy problem and then to have it geographical restricted to mostly one country might be a tough one to get through.

It is much more difficult to get a category through peer review now than before and regional categories now have great difficulty unless they are truly exceptional.

Another problem here is that you are asking for a category where each of the locations can already be waymarked in the Coat of Arms category and the new category would be restricted to a specific coat of arms. Many categories overlap others but having a category that is really a subset of another is a real redundancy problem and then to have it geographical restricted to mostly one country might be a tough one to get through.

ah ok. that clears it up a lot. Thanks for helping me understand people!

The idea is an interesting one. The topic of what the London Corporation owns/"controls" is full of speculation and conspiracy. It is just the implementation within our category system that is problematic.

I notice recently that the category Dated buildings and cornerstones has a variable to link with a second waymark.

Would it be a possibility to include this field? This category would be for the object owned by the City of London, not the coat of arms or marker.

One of the photo requirements would be to either provide the photo of the marker or provide a link to the waymark which shows it.

Just a thought, not trying to flog a dead horse :)