Removal of Geocaches in Swinley Forest,near Bracknell

Can Tadpole please provide more information and a contact for who to contact regarding this.

4wheelin_fool - this is not in your local area. Why would you get involved just to boost your NA stats?

The Swinley Forest is a fantastic area and ideal for geocaching. If we lose this as somewhere to place caches it will be a huge disappointment.

The geocaches in Swinley Forest, near Bracknell will be removed as the land owner has not given them permission to be there. Any items in the caches will be left at The Lookout Discovery Centre if people wish to come and collect them.

Can you provide more authority for that statement - are you posting on behalf of the landowner? Is there a reference to this directive somewhere other than your forum posting?

Thanks

The geocaches in Swinley Forest, near Bracknell will be removed as the land owner has not given them permission to be there. Any items in the caches will be left at The Lookout Discovery Centre if people wish to come and collect them.

Can you provide more authority for that statement - are you posting on behalf of the landowner? Is there a reference to this directive somewhere other than your forum posting?

Thanks

I live nearby so if anybody can provide further information I will be happy to check. At the moment it smells of a windup, as I am fairly certain that the area is not MOD property.

I live nearby so if anybody can provide further information I will be happy to check. At the moment it smells of a windup, as I am fairly certain that the area is not MOD property.

It's Crown Estates property, part of Windsor Great Park. Certainly not MOD.

Having just seen who the CO is I can state with a fair degree of certainty that he will do nothing about this, so I would suggest moving this to the UK forum where a UK reviewer will see it and they can all be archived.

Firstly, we have no idea who it is that's saying these caches are unauthorised, let alone which ones. It may or may not be the landowner themselves, and there's a multi that states that it has the permission of The Lookout.

Secondly, there is more than one CO with caches in Swinley Forest. 4wheelin_fool has been posting 'needs archiving' logs mainly for those with 'Swinley Forest' in the title.

Thirdly, why archive caches if they're still out there and in good condition? Or do you propose that all the CO's caches be archived because you're not confident he'll maintain them.

Having just seen who the CO is I can state with a fair degree of certainty that he will do nothing about this, so I would suggest moving this to the UK forum where a UK reviewer will see it and they can all be archived.

Firstly, we have no idea who it is that's saying these caches are unauthorised, let alone which ones. It may or may not be the landowner themselves, and there's a multi that states that it has the permission of The Lookout.

Secondly, there is more than one CO with caches in Swinley Forest. 4wheelin_fool has been posting 'needs archiving' logs mainly for those with 'Swinley Forest' in the title.

Thirdly, why archive caches if they're still out there and in good condition? Or do you propose that all the CO's caches be archived because you're not confident he'll maintain them.

Firstly someone has stated that the caches are nolonger there, they've been moved to the Discovery Centre. It's most likely that the OP is someone from the Discovery centre who's discovered the caches, removed them, and come on here to let us know.

Secondly I looked at several (not all) caches in the forest, they're owned by "Lord Of the Cachers", who's pretty renowned for chucking out hundreds of caches, none of which have permission, and never performs maintenance on them.

Thirdly, they're not still out there (the OP says they're in the Discovery centre), and the ones that belong to LOTC are probably not in good condition anyway as he never maintains them.

As for the other COs with caches in the forest, presumably if they placed their caches with permission then they will still be out there, but if not the OP will have lifted them too.

I agree that it sounds like a good place for caches, and if they have a "Discovery Center" then geocaching should be right up their street, all it needs is for someone to approach them with a view to placing caches with their approval and then there will be a bunch of new smileys to be had for everyone.

Firstly someone has stated that the caches are nolonger there, they've been moved to the Discovery Centre. It's most likely that the OP is someone from the Discovery centre who's discovered the caches, removed them, and come on here to let us know.

Secondly I looked at several (not all) caches in the forest, they're owned by "Lord Of the Cachers", who's pretty renowned for chucking out hundreds of caches, none of which have permission, and never performs maintenance on them.

Thirdly, they're not still out there (the OP says they're in the Discovery centre), and the ones that belong to LOTC are probably not in good condition anyway as he never maintains them.

As for the other COs with caches in the forest, presumably if they placed their caches with permission then they will still be out there, but if not the OP will have lifted them too.

I agree that it sounds like a good place for caches, and if they have a "Discovery Center" then geocaching should be right up their street, all it needs is for someone to approach them with a view to placing caches with their approval and then there will be a bunch of new smileys to be had for everyone.

They haven't been removed, the OP clearly states that they "will be removed".

LOTC is well known, but I am more concerned by an unknown person suggesting caches will be removed and a cacher living the other side of the Atlantic requesting that caches be archived to boost their NA stats, than someone who doesn't maintain their caches.

Edited by wrightexplorers

MartyBartfast, it is much too precipitate to archive all the caches based solely on this posting. It may be that the OP is Swinley Forest management or it may not. And LOTC is by no means the only cache owner in the Forest and by no means all the caches are poorly maintained.

The very first thing we need to do is establish a dialogue with leafy369 to clarify their authority and, if they are Swinley Forest management, to see if there is anything that can be done that would permit the caches to remain.

This is a very lovely area in which I have enjoyed many walks, and one which we would not want to lose from caching if there is anything we can do to save it.

Rgds, Andy

e33e62b2-f3b4-4ffc-be8f-4a96c31d3616.jpg?rnd=0.1578725

My guestimate is that there were/are around 50 caches in the Swinley Forest area.

These woods are my local walking area and I introduced quite a few of the kids I once taught to navigation and discovery using the c aches in the forest.

As has been pointed out it is a fantastic area for caching and it would be a disaster for the community to lose this resource as the result of the actions of a fanatical - if misguided - CO.

For what its worth I have mailed the OP in the hope of starting, at the very least, a positive dialogue with them.

I must admit I thought that they were mostly/all LOTC caches, and wasn't expecting him to do anything about them (as he tends not to), which is where the "archive them" comment came from, then there would be scope for getting some more put in place with the agreement/assistance of the Discovery Center.

Given that many of the caches in the series have an absentee owner, wet logs, cracked or broken containers, or replaced by impromptu throwdowns, they should be archived.

Now that a non geocacher is actively removing them for not having permission, it really is pertinent that they should be archived immediately, as there is a very good chance that dragging your feet or being stubborn will only annoy the person and perhaps inspire them to remove more. The 2 caches outside the series that I posted NAs on can always be unarchived once it is verified that the area has permission, or that they are okay to be listed. Since there is a very good chance that they are not there, or will be not there, there is no sense in having people look for them.

It has always been heavily emphasized that Geocaches are the personal property of the owner, and that Geocachers are conscientious and are playing a low impact sport. Leaving wet and broken items abandoned in an area where permission has not been obtained is not going to inspire any muggle to leave the rest alone. The NA log is an important communication tool, despite where it is posted from. I suspect that the OP followed a non official trail, leading to a pile of garbage and had a rather negative impression of the game. Think about how the nice folks in the Lookout Discovery Centre look upon this, when there are Geocaches on their backyard without them knowing anout it? Whenever there is a park building staffed with people, it is always a good idea to communicate with them, to avoid giving them the impression that Geocachers are antisocial. You cannot keep it secret once it is posted in the local newspaper, and have them look like fools if anyone inquires about it. It appears that Leafy369 is responding with the same level of respect that they have been given, and perhaps more, by communicating.

Has anyone bothered to pick up the dozen or so caches in the series which have been archived in the last few years for non maintenance?

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

As has been pointed out it is a fantastic area for caching and it would be a disaster for the community to lose this resource as the result of the actions of a fanatical - if misguided - CO.

For what its worth I have mailed the OP in the hope of starting, at the very least, a positive dialogue with them.

After calling them fanatical and misguided?

What would you call people who list piles of rubbish online, only to have a steady stream of visitors log finds on it, and are resistant to having it removed? Fanatical or misguided, perhaps? :D

What would you call people who list piles of rubbish online, only to have a steady stream of visitors log finds on it, and are resistant to having it removed? Fanatical or misguided, perhaps? :D

Look, if you insist on poking your nose into the matter, at least get it right. The CO is not the same person as the OP.

The CO is the cache owner. I have no idea who they are, but they obviously appear to be a bit of a character. They also obviously appear to be no longer involved in geocaching.

The OP is the person who started the thread. Possibly that person works for Swinley Forest, possibly its just a wind up. But it is this person, not the CO, who dodgydaved wanted to talk to.

Look, if you insist on poking your nose into the matter, at least get it right. The CO is not the same person as the OP.

The CO is the cache owner. I have no idea who they are, but they obviously appear to be a bit of a character. They also obviously appear to be no longer involved in geocaching.

The OP is the person who started the thread. Possibly that person works for Swinley Forest, possibly its just a wind up. But it is this person, not the CO, who dodgydaved wanted to talk to.

Sorry, I read it incorrectly.

One of caches you posted a NA log GC1PAWm its a very well thougt out puzzle which takes several hours plus poss visits to find it may need some a little atention but if some cachers cant find how do you think Crown Estates or Discovery Centre found it the final I hope it stays until youve completed it youll never know how great a area for caching it is even if you do spend 5-6hrs in te dark looking for markers

One of caches you posted a NA log GC1PAWm its a very well thougt out puzzle which takes several hours plus poss visits to find it may need some a little atention but if some cachers cant find how do you think Crown Estates or Discovery Centre found it the final I hope it stays until youve completed it youll never know how great a area for caching it is even if you do spend 5-6hrs in te dark looking for markers

Just because it will be difficult for them to find, doesn't mean it should stay against their wishes. It appears that they are very conscientious about mountain bikers affecting ground nesting birds, and that there are lawsuits by bikers, as well as concerns about them damaging wildlife.

It said unrestricted biking was damaging wildlife in the forest, which is a Nature England designated Special Protection Area (SPA).

At the meeting Mr Deakin said three species of nesting birds – the Dartford warbler, the woodlark and the nightjar – were at risk between March and August.

Pictures such as this one, posted to the cache you mention do not help the matter.

01902d8f-3f19-45f5-a406-37496e22610d.jpg

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Please contact Groundspeak using http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request using Category 8 as the communication type. Providing a contact Name and contact details, for the appropriate person acting on behalf of the Landowner

I have also made the same request via PM, and the Contact a Member Facility

Will no one please make any further Needs Archived logs, until the person actually acting on behalf of the Landowner, has made contact with Groundspeak, and confirmed that the request is genuine.

Once the Landowner has confirmed the request is genuine, and a map of the Boundary has been obtained, all the caches within the defined area will be Archived, by the local Reviewer.

Making NA Logs, on the basis of one post, by a person who has not identified themselves as the Landowner is not appropriate.

Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer

Just because it will be difficult for them to find, doesn't mean it should stay against their wishes. It appears that they are very conscientious about mountain bikers affecting ground nesting birds, and that there are lawsuits by bikers, as well as concerns about them damaging wildlife.

It said unrestricted biking was damaging wildlife in the forest, which is a Nature England designated Special Protection Area (SPA).

At the meeting Mr Deakin said three species of nesting birds – the Dartford warbler, the woodlark and the nightjar – were at risk between March and August.

The reason the birds are at risk is because they build their nests on the ground. Personally I think evolution should just be allowed to work its magic.

But I had to smile at the "unrestricted biking" reference. It never has been unrestricted. Its always been restricted to those people who pay the fees they charge you to use your mountain bike on the land.

The reason the birds are at risk is because they build their nests on the ground. Personally I think evolution should just be allowed to work its magic.

But I had to smile at the "unrestricted biking" reference. It never has been unrestricted. Its always been restricted to those people who pay the fees they charge you to use your mountain bike on the land.

Written in jest I'm guessing? If not, I assume you're still careful if you know scarce ground nesting birds are present?

Written in jest I'm guessing? If not, I assume you're still careful if you know scarce ground nesting birds are present?

I was part in jest. I do feel that any bird dumb enough to build their nest on the ground deserves what they get, provided that what they get comes from a natural source. So I would be against unleashed dogs in such areas, but would disagree with fencing areas off to protect the birds from foxes and other natural predators.

Well as of this morning LOTC is bulk archiving all his caches, not just the Swinley Forest ones, so they will be a non-issue now.

But is he going to go out and pick up all the old boxes? If not, then they will always be an issue, as will all the other caches that just get archived by pressing a button on a computer somewhere and forgotten about. There have been over 400 caches archived in the last seven days, quite a few of them 'enforced' archivings by our Reviewers. I wonder how many of them are now just so much non-biodegradable rubbish littering up the countryside?

Well as of this morning LOTC is bulk archiving all his caches, not just the Swinley Forest ones, so they will be a non-issue now.

But is he going to go out and pick up all the old boxes? If not, then they will always be an issue, as will all the other caches that just get archived by pressing a button on a computer somewhere and forgotten about. There have been over 400 caches archived in the last seven days, quite a few of them 'enforced' archivings by our Reviewers. I wonder how many of them are now just so much non-biodegradable rubbish littering up the countryside?

Is there a means of viewing archived caches without specifically knowing their name?

Is there a means of viewing archived caches without specifically knowing their name?

If you know the cacher's name, you can go to their profile and all of their caches, archived or not, will be available there.

Pictures such as this one, posted to the cache you mention do not help the matter.

Incidently, this is also misleading, as the picture caption is something like "Do not attempt to go this way".

But any way, given that we haven't heard anything else from the op, are you going to remove your NA posts on the caches that had nothing to do with LOTC?

Incidently, this is also misleading, as the picture caption is something like "Do not attempt to go this way".

But any way, given that we haven't heard anything else from the op, are you going to remove your NA posts on the caches that had nothing to do with LOTC?

I just deleted both. I didn't necessarily want the caches to be archived, and was only using the logs to alert TPTB to the situation. A note posted would have no affect, and in the past ive had emails to reviewers gone unanswered, with the geocaches ultimately archived anyway, sometimes months and years later for the same issues I've specified.

The night I read this post, I was grumpy and had not been able to sleep. Doing a little digging, I discovered that there was about a dozen caches abandoned in the area and then checked and saw environmental concerns which made me a bit more grumpier. It's odd to have not heard anything more from the OP, and hope they clarify the issue. The night cache may interfere with the nesting birds, but we shall see what comes about.

Now nearly 2 weeks on..... Did the OP ever get in touch with the reviewers?

I've asked a couple of reviewers who have heard nothing, and a local cacher has been in touch with the local management who knew nothing either. It's looking likely this was a troll - but you never know, as the responsibility for management and activity in the Forest is complicated.

I was part in jest. I do feel that any bird dumb enough to build their nest on the ground deserves what they get, provided that what they get comes from a natural source. So I would be against unleashed dogs in such areas, but would disagree with fencing areas off to protect the birds from foxes and other natural predators.

Just so your aware, all these ground nesting birds that are/were in decline was because of human interference- changes in land use- increasing human population- lack of care. Before all this ground nesting birds managed very successfully so if this stragegy was evolutionary flawed their ancestors would have died out hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Most people believe that the dinosaurs died out long ago, however they do still survive as birds are the last remaining survivors, as birds have a unique pelvic bone that is found on most dinosaurs, even the massive ones. Although certain species may be in danger, it is more likely that humans will die out from a virus or self destruction long before birds do, as humans are relative newcomers and are much more unstable. Humans are adept at having specialized knowledge. In the event of an epedemic or other disaster wiping out 90% of the population, it is likely that the remaining 10% addicted to their phones and computers, would be unable to adapt or cope to the new challenges and unstable nuclear fallout zones. Birds would be around however. Darwin's law would eventually wipe out all of his relatives. It has been said that if all insects were wiped off the earth, all life would cease to exist in 50 years, while the disappearance of humans would cause it to thrive. If the collective thought process of all life somehow was able to intercommunicate, they would figure out a way to kill off humans in order to survive, and something as as minuscule as a virus at the right time, would be the likely culprit.

If the collective thought process of all life somehow was able to intercommunicate, they would figure out a way to kill off humans in order to survive, and something as as minuscule as a virus at the right time, would be the likely culprit.

That's a great plot for a novel/film; perhaps you should assert copyright..

Just so your aware, all these ground nesting birds that are/were in decline was because of human interference- changes in land use- increasing human population- lack of care. Before all this ground nesting birds managed very successfully so if this stragegy was evolutionary flawed their ancestors would have died out hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Actually, in my neck of the woods (Surrey Heath) the heathland was an entirely human construct. If it isn't actively maintained by humans and / or their cattle, it will revert fairly quickly to woodland.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/environment-housing-and-planning/countryside/explore-surreys-countryside/looking-after-the-countryside/our-work-to-manage-surreys-countryside/countryside-management-projects/surrey-heathland-project/definition-of-heathland/heathland-history

The Surrey Wildlife Trust actually have a policy of destroying woodland so that they can convert it back to heathland. They then plonk a few exotic cattle on it and consider it job done.

This is hardly "nature's way".

I used to be a member of SWT, but resigned when they started vigourously implementing this policy and destroyed some beautiful woods. It was horrible.

I am now a member of the Woodland Trust.

Edited by Puzbie

If the collective thought process of all life somehow was able to intercommunicate, they would figure out a way to kill off humans in order to survive, and something as as minuscule as a virus at the right time, would be the likely culprit.

Not quite the same plot, but it has already been done.

The Op replied to my communication, stating that he would "Pass" the request to be contacted, on to the "Appropriate" person. Up to today, there has been no further contact off the OP, nor the Appropriate person he was going to contact, has made contact.

Deci

It is entirely possible. The planet, existing wholly as one single lifeform, may detect one form in particular which is shortening the longevity of the whole, and may reject and expel it.

Humans act much differently than other forms of life, and do not appear in harmony with the rest. The face of the planet, has drastically changed, and only to suit the short term pleasure of one type of life in particular. Human behaviour is alien, as compared to the rest of life on the planet. Humans are newcomers, and may not have originated here at all anyhow.

...The survivors looked up to the skies. They cried. Their home planet was destroyed, due to environmental and political unrest. It was now an asteroid belt between the fourth and fifth planet from their sun. The new planet, named simply "earth" was filled with savage beasts and wild creatures. They would have to restart and reboot. Countless generations would have to toil and suffer to rebuild to the former glory of civilization. But not exactly. If they duplicated their previous patterns, the new planet would eventually destroy itself in a similar way. They could not preserve the previous history, as the new generations would be cursed upon repeating it. All would have to be erased. The hall of records would have to be preserved somewhere in case of emergency and forgotten. They chose a spot at the geographical center of the new planet. It would be kept in a large pyre, encased in many tons of stone, safe from rust and destruction. It would have to survive countless centuries until it could be reopened and explained. Of course it would be difficult to hide this massive pyre from curiosity seekers, so a secret society was formed to protect it. The decision was made to construct several prototypes which would hone their skills, and all to contain nothing of importance, to ward off looters. Once the safe building was complete, a larger building built completely empty to deflect attraction...

...The explorer looked up to the massive buildings. There are 2 great pyramids here, he exclaimed. No, the guide said. There is only one. It has 3 floors and was discovered empty. The other is unimportant. It has no central chambers and is solid masonry, and a little smaller...

Well done simples.

Now you've opened up some can of worms that only Denzel, Mel or Will could possibly satisfy this crazy Americano. :o

Let's get back to the serious topic of this dubious post.

There's more fools on this thread than just me. :lol:

EDITED to be more polite. :)

Edited by JoLuc

Well done simples.

Now you've opened up some can of worms that only Denzel, Mel or Will could possibly satisfy this crazy Americano. :o

But humans are alien to this planet. :D Why do you think there are similarities between the star of David and the freemasonry symbol, and where does that come from? There are 2 great pyramids nearly the same size sitting right next to each other, but yet all the obsessive attention is focused on the empty one. The description of "3 floors and one door or window in the side" of Noahs Ark matches the Great Pyramid, while the passages underneath of the nearby Khafre's pyramid make the form of a dove carrying an olive branch if turned upside down. The Rosicrucian Order was formed only a few years after the lower chamber was opened in the 1300s, when the Ark of the Covenant was discovered there. Yes, Noahs ark was a ship, but it was no boat... :ph34r:

In June 1967, 12 archaeologists using a muon generator discover a large mass hidden in the middle of Khafre's pyramid. Immediately the Israeli 6 day war breaks out, and they were all escorted from the area, as the region was declared unstable. Afterwards one archaeologist was allowed back in to resume testing, and declares it was all a mistake. Attention is then focused back towards the Great Pyramid.

You want the truth? You cant handle the truth..

Well done simples.

But humans are alien to this planet. :D Why do you think there are similarities between the star of David and the freemasonry symbol, and where does that come from? There are 2 great pyramids nearly the same size sitting right next to each other, but yet all the obsessive attention is focused on the empty one. The description of "3 floors and one door or window in the side" of Noahs Ark matches the Great Pyramid, while the passages underneath of the nearby Khafre's pyramid make the form of a dove carrying an olive branch if turned upside down. The Rosicrucian Order was formed only a few years after the lower chamber was opened in the 1300s, when the Ark of the Covenant was discovered there. Yes, Noahs ark was a ship, but it was no boat... :ph34r:

In June 1967, 12 archaeologists using a muon generator discover a large mass hidden in the middle of Khafre's pyramid. Immediately the Israeli 6 day war breaks out, and they were all escorted from the area, as the region was declared unstable. Afterwards one archaeologist was allowed back in to resume testing, and declares it was all a mistake. Attention is then focused back towards the Great Pyramid.

This all seems a long way from a tract of woodland in Berkshire..........

Well done simples.

This all seems a long way from a tract of woodland in Berkshire..........

Want to know where Noah got his wood from..?

B)

Well done simples.

off topic is like, >>>> that way! We have enough illegal aliens as it is and don't need any more 4wheeldriving fools to add to them :)